Thanks for the comments guys. I'm currently working on my base mesh... I'll post it soon.
Bobo: Really enjoyed your workshop presentation. I should of said hi to you but I never got a chance to
Murdoc: I cant say I really have a process for this stuff yet
Most of the time I stop at something really abstract that I can only make sense of. Thats why I'm trying to improve my skill set in this dept. Doing a lot of studies and finding reference helps a ton.
But the process for this piece was basically this:
1. Throw some blobs down in black and white and try to find interesting shapes by erasing to create silhouettes.
2. Get some quick light and dark values down to bring out the shapes.
3. Add a white layer on top and set it to low opacity. Add another layer and start your clean line drawing of the shapes.
4. Remove the white layer and begin to add color and render.
5. Repeat step 4 and refine until you get the polish you want.
Also working at a higher resolution and dpi helps when doing the intricate stuff.