Old (#1)
OK guys, this has been done on other forums and we are going to give it a try here. You are only allowed to start one thread in this forum. That will be your digital sketchbook that you can use for whatever you do: 2D, 3D, sculpting, writing, whatever. Try to make new posts (not new threads!) in your "sketchbook" instead of updating one post over and over and overwriting old work. The point of your thread is to keep track of stuff you have done and watch your progression, just like a hardcopy sketchbook.

As of right now, I am open to ideas or tweaks that need to be done to make this more user friendly.

A couple of things that I talked over with the guys on #model_design:

1. PLEASE use the naming convention "Sketchbook: <YOUR NAME>" for your thread where <YOUR NAME> is either your real name or your nickname on the boards. This will make it easier to read.

2.**UPDATED** After some discussion, we are going to leave it up to the author if they want critiques on their work or not. Please state your preference in your first post as to whether you are looking for crits or just journalizing.

Anything else, I will add as I find it. ;D

Enjoy gang!
Less Complain-y, more art-y.

Polycount Wiki
Offline , Administrator, 2,196 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location USA  

Old (#2)
Just noticed it and loved it, good idea!
Offline , spline, 168 Posts, Join Date Jan 2007, Location Poland  

Old (#3)
what a neat surprise .. it's like christmas ! ...

great idea kubbo
Character Artist @ Digital Extremes
www.thatpolygon.com
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,659 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location London Canada  

Old (#4)
This is very cool, i'm starting my thread tonight.
Offline , triangle, 424 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Big Tex  

Old (#5)
It took me a while to spot what was changed in the forum and then I noticed the new section. Nice going, kub.

-caseyjones
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,894 Posts, Join Date Feb 2005, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#6)
Another useful thing would be to post any techniques you use. It may be common place to you, but it may be a revelation to someone else.
Less Complain-y, more art-y.

Polycount Wiki
Offline , Administrator, 2,196 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location USA  

Old (#7)
i think the meta is too duplicated.

I mean, its a sketchbook area, so no need for the suffix sketchbook, also your name is next to your post, so no need for the name suffix.

A lot of duplication of data going on here, but hey whatever works.
Offline , insane polycounter, 5,126 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location .jp  

Old (#8)
I think sharing of techniques would be great for these, yeah. That's what I like about some of the ca.org threads, people share a lot of tips there, and often enough it'll be something that --even if you don't end up using it-- it'll make you go 'ooh, right. that's interesting'
Looking for work | Polycount Wiki | Portfolio |||<
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,344 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Amsterdam Send a message via MSN to MightyPea  

Old (#9)
Now there's a real need for a RSS-based board isn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Offline , triangle, 309 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location Belgium Send a message via Skype™ to Brice Vandemoortele  

Old (#10)
I love this idea and everything as they are very interesting threads to browse through but like.. don't you think having 'Sketchbook:' before everyone's name is a little redundant since this particular board is specifically for that?

too late now I guess heh :X

edit: guess this post was redundant too since I missed hawken's post the first time around, 'Doh!.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,223 Posts, Join Date Feb 2007, Location Seattle  

Old (#11)
Brilliant, gonna start one ;)
My Youtube!

Animation's my goal..
Offline , triangle, 387 Posts, Join Date Sep 2007, Location Manchester, UK  

Old (#12)
whoops. Just read this. It is possible to rename threads you make right? I haven't been on a forum for ages... I even forget what the forum-maker is called... =P
So don't penalize me. I'm going to go fix it
Oliver Bunten | REFRY | Senior Project
Student at Cogswell Polytechnical College (Digital Art and Animation Degree, 3D Modeling)
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,448 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location California  

Old (#13)
Hey, maybe as a little extra, people should include what kind of art they have in their sketchbook? So people who were browsing for specifically 3D stuff or concept art could find it easier....

Like this sorta:

Sketchbook [3D/2D]: Saso.Chicken
or
Sketchbook [3D/Concept]: Saso.Chicken

etc.
Student at Cogswell Polytechnical College (Digital Art and Animation Degree, 3D Modeling)
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,448 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location California  

Old (#14)
wow dude how long have you drawn stuff
Offline , null, 7 Posts, Join Date Apr 2010,  

Old (#15)
Whoops. Didn't read this before posting my sketch book and as a result I didn't follow the formal naming convention. Is it possible to rename my thread? If so, how?
Offline , line, 78 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Send a message via Yahoo to kraemology Send a message via Skype™ to kraemology  

Old (#16)
Is there a way to find out if my account has been blocked to the forums? probably wrong place to ask but I've sent emails and posted in other areas and am not even sure if anything I'm posting is showing up or being seen. My account is a few years old but I never got around to posting anything so I think yeah maybe got blocked/deactivated...

(Tried to post a sketchbook thread here a week ago)
Offline , line, 66 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Ohio Send a message via MSN to crashadams Send a message via Skype™ to crashadams  

Old (#17)
Oh I like this. When I am ready. I shall start
Offline , null, 6 Posts, Join Date Sep 2010, Location Dundee, Scotland  

Old (#18)
I have a quick question how do I change my thread title?? I don't want it to say digital sketchbook--gunship model, I would like it to say digital sketchbook--Laviathans_Latest_Work. Is there anyway to change that??
Offline , null, 19 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011,  

Old (#19)
I can already tell that you're a foul person who's only going to ruin this forum and mankind as a whole. LIKE you? I can't even LOOK at you.

Totally kidding. Welcome, I think you'll find most of the people here to be quite helpful and informative in pushing your work to be even better.

Old (#20)
so i cant post anything? trying to make a sketchbook and it isnt posting
Offline , vertex, 29 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012,  

Old (#21)
i'm trying to post a sketchbook i can't.

show to me that i don't have enough persmission.
Offline , null, 8 Posts, Join Date Sep 2012,  

Old (#22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Soares View Post
i'm trying to post a sketchbook i can't.

show to me that i don't have enough persmission.
Yes, same here, what shall we do to get this permission?
Offline , vertex, 49 Posts, Join Date Mar 2013, Location paris  

Old (#23)
Hmm I can't seem to create my own sketchbook
Offline , null, 18 Posts, Join Date Jul 2013, Location Sydney Send a message via Skype™ to Izanagi_art  

Old (#24)
i can't create mine :/
Offline , null, 2 Posts, Join Date Sep 2013, Location Between time and space. Send a message via Skype™ to Nohiro  

Old (#25)
Great ideia ;D
Douglas Santos - Illustrator, environment artist and 2D & 3D artist. (portfolio: http://doug-cg.wix.com/douglassantos - underconstruction)
Offline , null, 19 Posts, Join Date Jan 2014, Location brazil