Home Technical Talk

tutorial: cavity maps and more from crazy bump!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
i had the pleasure of hanging out with ryan at GDC, and we were discussing crazy bump and how i use it to generate cavity maps. i have been using a photoshop action to generate the base map, but crazy bump is better because it doesn't matter if your y is up or down, we use y up, most people use y down, so releasing the photoshop action would be silly cause not many people would find it helpful. i am going to post a tutorial so everyone can do it, and he expressed interest in adding this to crazy bump so you might be able to skip the whole photoshop step in the future.

a little explanation of what is happening here
1> import normal map into crazybump and goto displacement tab, turn enhance detail all the way up.

2> adjust levels like so for cavity map, works great, and dosent have quite the hard edges zbrush generated cavity maps do.

3> if you do the opposite to the levels you get the opposite of a cavity map, i would call it a highlight map, its the highest points on the map and it is awesome for technical stuff, try it out! to really increase the awesome of this map try setting it to screen on your spec and duplicating the layer a few times, also if you blur the duplicate a bit you get great results...

experiment with the levels!! this are just quick starter values to explain what i am doing, for my script the base grey is 128 and that makes the highpoint in the levels directly in the center so the values for both cavity map and spec map enhancer are 128, crazybump seems to use a lighter grey for the base in the displacement, rule of thumb would be try and make the input level value line up with the highest point in the levels, might be easier to understand just by looking at the histogram on the levles.
now go try!

cavitymapfr5.jpg

Replies