Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer 40k Buildings

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
Ok so after the last few weeks working on my anatomy and being chewed a new arse im blowing shits the size of small nurf footballs out I decided to take my much necessary advice and continue to work on anatomy slowly and back to the routes, so Im buying my freedom of teach figuring this week so in the mean time I figured to not let my skills get rusty and hit into doing some good old envrionment work. I decided to work on 2 buildings for my warhammer 40k dawn of war biker guys (way old thread at this point) So I figured much like my big mech cyngar guy I made I wanna put them in a little scene of some sort, I actually planned out this scene this time unlike before (thanks to johny constantly reminding me to not make things so boring looking) So I decided to do 2 buildings a thermo plasma generator thats more dark angel influnced and a Gauss cannon station right next to it.

So anyway its just a start its all going to be aimed towards dawn of war specs so im figuring around 2.5 k polys should be the max I hit or maybe even lower depending (2.1-2.2?) Anyway heres were im at right now

what im planing on making

therm_core1.jpg

and what I got
3-9.jpg

2-14.jpg

1-12.jpg

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The arches on the model are much rounder than yours. they are too flat. The top of the arch also meets the three little protusions. Your has a gap.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
    I can't tell you how to do things, it's still early; however, I manage my smoothing groups -as- I work, it's just something that I do.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Ruz about the arches. You can see that the original arches met with the flat line above, where yours come down a bit from there.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Also theres tons of wasted polies where could be achieved the same effect with texturing.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - The inner cylinders should have the number of sides increased to round them out.
    - The tiny edge trim detail on the arches makes me think this is the high poly version? But other parts seem to indicate this model is the low poly? Like Johny said if this is the low, do most of that tiny kind of detail with a texture.
    - The arches stick out too far, making them look tacked on instead of structural.
    - the big blocks around the upper cylinders are going to be normal mapped to include the smaller blocks? Normal maps are great and all, but they are NOT miracle workers. The edges where those smaller blocks would stick out and break the silhouette if they where modeled, won't on the normal map. It will look odd and fake. They really won't add that much to the poly count, and you can repeat the texture. You should add big details like those blocks before thinking about poly modeling tiny surface details like around the arches.
    - The 4 sided pipes coming out of the upper cylinders are screaming to be smoothed out. The ref has some really interesting elbow jointed pipes, it would be worth it to invest a few more polys and help that kind of detail along. Again this kind of detail should take precedence over some of the smaller details that have already been modeled.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    cool building to choose.

it wouldn't be unprecedented to let it reach 3k polys

no crits that haven't been covered. looking forward to this.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok really quick though

sectaurs: so 3k is a good number estimate to look at?

vig: this will be all hand painted textures no normal maps or anything the only other map I will use is a glow asside from diffuse

I'll go back and add more to the arches once I get the upper area placed in
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well until I get a answer heres a update, started to uv unwrap some of it as well

unfortanetly my poly count jumped to 3242 polys in the end, meh

x1.jpg
    x2.jpg
    x3.jpg
    x4.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey man , i currently i havent got much time, but i would say the design looks a little off from teh concept a good way to see it is to take a screencap with the model in same angle that in concept and overlay it.
    Also you have suck a high polycount because you have lots of wasted polys.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    There are a lot of very obvious differences in scale here. Your archways are wider and shorter than the concept. Those little vertical pieces above the arches are about 1/4 the size they should be. There are things like that all over. You should really step back and build what you SEE, not what you think you see.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    shouldn't have any problem trimming it down to a respectable polycount. for instance, there's no need for the trim on the arches to be modeled - texture that shit. you added a lot of shape detail to those panels on either side of the skull - in the miniature most of them are plane rectangles
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still don't understand why big details are being blockified for such tiny throw away details. If you're stuck on some old rule that "cylinders must never exceed 8 sides" then you're missing the point.

Q: How many sides should a cylinder have?
    A: The least number of sides to make it look round.

You have enough triangles/polys to nail down the big details properly but aren't.

Sef40kBuilding.gif
    <font color="red">RED:</font>
    Look at the silhouette of the building, and look at yours. You've modeled the arches too far and away, they look tacked on as an after thought not built into the structure. The point of an arch is to bear weight and transfer the load to the support beams, not float and do nothing.

<font color="blue">BLUE:</font>
    Another indication that the arches should not stick out that far. On the ref, the arch sticks out about as far as the micro detail you modeled, but on the model its 4x that.

<font color="yellow">YELLOW:</font>
    This gap is doing very little for the detail of the model. Since you modeled all those little micro details why not put them to good use and have them cover up some of the big bland space?

Sef40kBuilding.jpg
    Seriously, do more with less, make the most out of what you have. Get rid of the micro details and use those polys in a much more productive way.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vig: I had to keep that middle piece to make a top flooring and a bottom flooring did clean up a bit and bring it around 3100 polys now smile.gif

going back getting rid of more of the micro modeling stuff once im done texturing things to see what can be delted versus saved (Alot of them were ovelayed textures so clean up wont be harsh)

figured to post some progress...damn holiday and family and friends wont leave me alone a blasted moment to work on my stuff!

I STILL NEED TO DO ONE MORE NEXT GEN SCENE TO FINISH BEFORE FEB! GRRR!

Anywho enough worlds most smallest violen stories and heres some of the goods smile.gif

I know its not alot but figure to show something as oppose to nothing

small1.jpg

afsaf.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    ignore the best advice in your thread and fail wink.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    exactly . all the crits were spot on, why ignore it ?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not ignoring I reduced poly count , the arches I did my best on but they really bring this model out when texturing it

and honestly I just wanted to see how well Im painting frown.gif

1-13.jpg
    2-15.jpg
    3-10.jpg