Old (#1)
after some heated discussion came up in the "what are you working on thread" about how anal one should be about shaving those tris down, I guess its better to move the topic here.

this was a presented model, its fairly low already, and has beveled edges in a fashion that allows UV mirroring, and gives nice smooth normals (therefore is good for baking and runtime interpolation).

the proposed version, while taking less tris, will have some issues on interpolation side of things. (paintover!!)

now the major issue was "less = better", which is not always right. Basically the way driver/api works, we speak about batches being the limiting factor in a single frame. That is drawcalls. The less the better, the trianglecount per batch doesnt really matter, and once certain thresholds makes no difference at all. now a very good paper explaining the sideeffects and phenomena is this paper by nvidia
http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/...BatchBatch.pdf
be aware that "high-end" card was a gf5 back then, and even the gf2 was saturated at 130 tris, ie makes no difference if less triangles per batch.a slightly newer version of that paper (wow radeon9600)
http://http.download.nvidia.com/develope...ptimization.pdf
shows how basically there is no difference at all if you send 10 or 200 triangles. And this "threshold" where it doesnt matter anymore, is constantly rising (those numbers are from 2004/2005). todays engines are all about crunching as much in as little drawcalls as possible, the triangle count of single objects becomes less an issue. there is certain types of objects that are rendered using "instancing" setups or "skinning", which are supposed to have less vertices, then other stuff. but even there technical variety is just too huge.

in short, make it look good, dont go insane about taking away tris, unless you do PSP/NDS or whatever mobile, or RTS instanced units. Any modern card can crunch so many triangles that this is not the real limiting factor.

if you run the crysis sandbox editor, you will see there is some more than million tris per frame, and it runs rather smooth still (editor is quite faster than game). In EnemyTerritory the whole 3d terrain is rendered fully... what matters is the total drawcall per frame, and not just meshes but postfx and so on are part of that, yes even gui elements. A lot of limiting comes from shading the pixels, and no matter how you lowres your box will be, if texture + size on screen remains the same, the costs thru shading will be identical. The few extra vertices that need to be calculated are negligable.

There are reasons it takes crytek, epic and other guys with tons of experience to get the most out of hardware, they do a lot of performance hunting, profile how cpu/gpu are stressed at a scene. I mean Rorshach wasnt telling you guys this for no reason, after all their studio works on the real "limits", and get more out of the hardware than most. Hence some "veterans" view will surprise you, simply as they are better informed work for the "top studios". I dont want to diss anyone's opinion, its not like people made them up themselves, its just times move on very quickly. Modern cards can crunch some insane workload, but its all about the feeding mechanism...

so yes you might do some mmo which runs on every crap hardware, but even there hardware principles stay the same and looking at steam's hardware survey, there is a lot of capable hardware around...

After all this should not imply that optimization is bad, or not needed, if you can get the work done with less, and not sacrifice quality, then do it. But there is a certain level were the work/effect payoff just isnt there anymore. (this will differ for older platforms (ps2, mobiles)

----

there is another caveat so, that is the problem with "micro / thin" triangles. If you have triangles that hardly ever occupy much pixels on screen, it kills parallism of the GPU. Which should be taken into account, ie do not go overboard with micro-bevelling.

-----

make sure to read Kevin Johnstone's posts
http://boards.polycount.net/showpost...12&postcount=5

Last edited by CrazyButcher; 02-04-2010 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: added humus link
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,394 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Germany Send a message via ICQ to CrazyButcher  

Old (#2)
nice writeup and info here crazybutcher, but i notice you're only referring to "runtime" performance of stuff.
what about loading things into memory, or collision calculations etc.
if you have 100 duplicates of an object and it's not instanced, that is going to add up quite quickly on the memory side of things if you have extra polygons.
any more info on stuff like that rather than just brute force rendering of tris would be cool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

you also have to bear in mind stencil shadows, more silhouette polys lead to greater stress there. not every engine uses lightmaps.

good thread tho [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Offline , MoP, 11,626 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location London, UK  

Old (#3)
What this translates to is that even on ancient hardware you can actually ADD polies to that box and maintain the exact same performance rendering it... which in turn means that, yes, there IS such a thing as "insignificant optimization".

Now, Ror has the brains to guard his words, but I don't, so I'll say to you earlier optimization-worshippers: When a whole bloody torrent of highly experienced professionals tell you you're wrong, maybe you should stop being so bullheaded and actually try to research the validity of your claims.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,955 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Tenerife, Spain  

Old (#4)
yeah mop you are right, stencil shadows are definetely ugly case where more tris = more work. But I dont think stencilshadows will have much future, personal opinion so [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
or if moved to GPU to do silhouette extraction the tris count will not be soooo important anymore.

loading into memory, well vertexcounts and texture memory are the limiting factor. I remember having made as similar thread once, stating that vertex weigh signficantly less,too. A triangle in stripping weighs just 4 or 2 bytes, and in non strip case three times as much.

collision is software stuff and might use dedicated lowest lod, geometry. Its a whole different story I would not want to touch, but yes here also less is better. However often dynamic objects are approximated with primitives such as boxes, spheres... to keep costs down. And static environment stuff is also fairly optimized to cope with a few more tris.

about "instancing". Engines will instance stuff anyway, I mostly meant higher-techniques that do the rendering in less drawcalls. You will always load that box into memory only once, and have a low weight representation for every time you use it (pos,rot,scale in world + handle to actual geometry). Its just that non-instanced rendering means a drwacall every time you render the box at another position.

of course you might do total unique box variatns, like mesh deformed permanently, but that would be exactly like modelling two boxes.

After all we are talking about a very optimized model already, its not like the box is 1000 tris. Its just the question that the tradeoff of quality/speed for < 300 or so, simply isnt worth it, considering the rendering pipeline.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,394 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Germany Send a message via ICQ to CrazyButcher  

Old (#5)
I spent a solid few months of optimizing polys, lightmap UV channels, collish meshs for everything in UT and the act of
stripping 2million polys out of a level generally improved the FPS by 2 or 3 frames.

Polycount is not the huge issue people were rightly sure it was previously. The bigger issue now is texture resolution because all assets carry 3 textures as standard, normal map, diffuse and spec and thats before you have additional mask light textures for emmisives and reflection or whatever other stuff you are supporting in the shader.

Shader complexity is also a bigger issue now because it requires longer rendering time.
Section counts are a bigger issue , meshs carrying 2 of each texture and thus requiring a 2nd rendering pass.

I can't explain things technically enough for people but the coders have explained to me a couple times that the problem with just beating everything down with optimization on things like polycount doesn't affect things as much because of different things being CPU or GPU bound.

Mesh count is a big issue now that everything is a static mesh rather than the majority being BSP. BSP is terribly inefficient compared to mesh rendering also.

A mesh is pretty much free for the 1st 600 polys, beyond that its cost can be reduced dramatically by using lightmaps for generating self shadowing and so on rather than vertex lighting.

The reason also I was saying I wouldnt take out the horizontal spans on this piece was also largely because as an environment artist you have to be thinking about
the crimes against scale the level designers will often make
with your work to make a scene work.

Just because I know its a box , doesn't mean it wont get used as something else much larger so I always try to make sure
it can hold up, whatever it is, when 4 times the scale!

Butcher mentioned instancing, this is another feature that we relied upon much more heavily to gain performance.
Due to textures / BSP being more expensive now and polycounts cheaper we made things modular, very very modular.

For instance, I made a square 384/384 straight wall using a BSP tiling texture and generated about 60 modular lego pieces that use the same texture and all fit with themselves and each other to replace BSP shelling out of levels.

This led to lots of optimizations in general and quick easy shelling of levels and it gave our levels a baseline for
addition of new forms to the base geometry level.

I doubt I'm changing anyone's opinion here, maybe making a normal map driven next gen game will convince you though.
And by next gen, i just mean the current new technology like ID's new engine, crysis engine, UE3 etc because they
are normal map driven and the press likes fancy names
for simple progression of technology.
r.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,577 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Cary,NC  

Old (#6)
Heh, Rorshach, in our engine you can't scale static models so everything stays the same size unless someone explicitly exports a different version of the model file [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And I would expect a good level designer would know not to madly scale up an object obviously designed to be used as a small prop :/

But yes good info on all fronts, cheers guys.

Old (#7)
I should add that triangles are stored as "indexed" lists. that means you get a huge array of all vertices, and a triangle is made from either 3 or 1 index into that array.

say for a quad your have verts = [A,B,C,D]. And now you store triangle info (index starting at 1):
as list: [1,2,3, 2,3,4]
as strip: [1,2,3, 4]

each index normally weighs as much as a half uncompressed pixel. And thats it, triangles are really just adding some more indices to that index list. And their memory is sooo tiny compared to the rest... (unless for collision stuff, or stencils, there you need per face normals as well)

The mentioned texturememory used mentioned by ror, is the one thing to really optimized for, as you can just crunch x megs of texmemory into your graphics card a frame.

The other thing that may reside in memory are static meshes. Note that static here means we dont want to change vertices individually "by hand". But we change thru shaders (bones), or thru spatial placement in total. Which is nearly all vertices we normally see on a frame. The opposite is data that is generated/manipulated more fundamentally every frame, think particles.
Now a game vertex is like 32 or 64 bytes mostly. Which means a 512x512 compressed texture gives you about 8192 "small" vertices or 4096 "fat" vertices. Their weight depends on how accurate and how much extra data you need per vertex (second UVs, vertex color...), let it be a bit less than 4k if is even fatter vertex format.

Now the third texturememory eating thing are the special effects textures, which are uncompressed and can suck up quite some megs depending on window resolution.

Now the "other" memory costs are on the application side, in regular RAM, like the collision info, and "where object x is", relationships... that memory is mostly never a big problem on PC. Just on console you need to be more clever about not loading everything into RAM. As they are more limited.

So we have X memory of what fits into the graphics card which is "texturememory" "framebuffer memory + effect textures" "static meshes" and "shaders" (which are like ultra tiny compared to rest).

Now of course say we have a giant world and want to move around, it will be impossible to preload every texture/mesh into graphicsmemory. So we must cleverly unload/load some while we move around, so noone notices. The amount we can send over without hickups is not a lot (keep in mind that the rest of your scene is still rendered). So one must be very clever about swapping out textures. Hence the modularity and "reuse", rorschach mentioned, is even more important.
not only per-frame will it allow batching of "same state" objects. but even in the long run means less swapping occurs.

now what happens if I have more active textures in the scene than my graphics card can actually load per frame. then the driver will kickin and send a cached copy over (very ugly stalls). The driver also optimizes moments when to reload stuff, as most loading from RAM to Videoram is done asynchronously (ie you call the function doesnt mean it happens right now, but you let driver do it when he wants to). So now we got the driver in the memory equation as well. Now some clever strategies the driver optimizations gurus at AMD/NVidia do might create hiccups in "non common" situations. But what is "common"? If some new major game comes out and has a very specific new way to tackle a problem, we see new drivers magically appearing making smoother rides, of course they might optimize a lot more in those drivers, but anyway...

you get a brief idea of complexity of all this, and why the most common reply on this boards regarding polycounts and whatever is "it depends"

Old (#8)
Mop: sure, but theres always cases where they need to fill in gaps and anything will do when you can scale things.

Clearly a box prop isnt the best example, i was trying to detail a general attitude toward environment asset creation
to substitute the 'everything must go' all purpose optimization attitude.

Also another reason for extra polys in UE3 is smoothing groups. We try to use one smoothing group because it renders a better normal map.

The optimization at all costs method led me to finding out that reducing polycount and controling the smoothing with more smoothing groups costs as much as using more polys to create a better single smoothing group because
the engine doesn't actually have smoothing groups, it just doubles the edge count where the smoothing group changes.

Which costs as much or more than adding additional chamfered edges to support a cleaner smoothing group.

I still go back and forth on this issue myself but generally
the consensus at Epic is that its better to use more polys and process out a normal map that will render well with light hitting it from any angle.

If you go the purist optimization route ( as I did at the beginning of the project) and optimize with smoothing groups to control things and have half the polycount, you
end up with normals that look good only when hit by light from certain angles and its still just as expensive.

Again, I doubt anyone who has a different view is going to be changed by this information. I didn't change my
opinions until I had it reproved to me dozens of times.

r.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,577 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Cary,NC  

Old (#9)
Yep, I totally agree that for normalmapped stuff it's way better to have some extra polys and keep a single smoothing group, than to use separate smoothing angles or groups, since as you say they pretty much amount to the same vertex memory anyway, and the former gives a better normalmap.

One of our senior programmers told me that some graphics cards can have a harder time rendering long thin tris (such as those you'd get by having thin bevels instead of smoothing groups) at long range, but I don't know to what extent or how much this would impact performance, not much it seems.

Old (#10)
Great to see this all written down with some proper technical backing to it - while there is no excuse whatsoever to piss away polygons for the sake of using them, and those verts do add up, its ALWAYS textures, textures, textures that are the main bottleneck.

As for collision information, in most cases there is little issue with optimising that mesh down. I know we don't use the full resolution mesh for collision. In many/most cases, the LOD is used for collision. For characters its pretty much a series of boxes, because let's be honest - we might have modelled fingers and the inside of the mouth, but when it comes to collision all you care about is the hand and the head.

This bit interested me:

[ QUOTE ]
A mesh is pretty much free for the 1st 600 polys, beyond that its cost can be reduced dramatically by using lightmaps for generating self shadowing and so on rather than vertex lighting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that because you don't have to store that data on a per vert basis?
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,289 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Edinburgh, Scotland Send a message via MSN to Rick Stirling  

Old (#11)
It only makes sense that the objects you're likely to scale in a map are also the ones you instance a lot. Rocks, ruins, vegetation, etc. You're going to see good performance on that so the polycount isn't of the highest importance. Especially taking into account that most of those objects will be lowpoly to start with.

I never use cages for rendering normal maps anymore. It turns out to be horrible workflow-wise. They most often break when you start editing the original mesh and in the case of 3ds max restrict the processing rays to straight paths instead of bending them nicely creating a smoother result. Instead of ray cages, you're mostly better off simply adding more geo to the object. You can always make that geo count visually as well as cleaning up your normal map results.

As for temporarily adding geo to a copy of the object for baking, then using the object without that added geo for your exports, I haven't done that in a long time, but am sure it would be useful in cases still.

I'll use smoothing groups at times because clients can be very insistent on respecting polycounts and nothing else.

Basically I believe a lot of people are so insistent on the anal poly-reduction because:
-they're comfortable with it
-it's very straight forward and easy to understand
-they've developed poly optimization skills they're proud of and don't like to hear that those skills aren't as important as they've believed [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think most of us that have been modeling for a while mastered poly optimization a long time ago. What defines you as a 3d artist now is how good you can make stuff look. It's not like the "old days" (of just a few years ago) when pretty much all games looked really bad and your success was defined by how well you could get stuff to run.

Take the polycount your art leads gives you and use ALL of them. Don't try to impress anyone by saying you used half your budget. If you NEEDED to use half the budget.. then he would have given you half!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,955 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Tenerife, Spain  

Old (#12)
I'm not sure this has really been given much attention: It's always possible that an engine will join meshes and send in one batch. This depends upon texture use/reuse, to which degree the overhead is worth it, and so on. What that results in is pushing the polycount of the final object past the safe point (600 used by Epic, as reference). Then you've broken the barrier and now start seeing polycount relevance in rendertimes - you may be up to 10000 tris in one batch now. However, the fact that you're merging several batches is going to save performance anyway.. that is, after all, why you do it in the first place.. which cancels out the fact that you're now operating with a higher polycount.

It gets complicated, and the performance result is individual to each scenario, each engine, each game. Nobody will expect a 3d artist to know these things intimately. But it pretty much boils down to this: if it'll benefit your model a lot to go 200 tris beyond the budget you were given, go ahead and do it. You're not going to make performance drop to 15 FPS. You got to remember that the budget you were given is pretty much pure guess work to begin with [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

That doesn't mean you should't optimize, it means you should know what gives you the most bang for your bucks.

Old (#13)
amzing info here guys, keep them coming [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i have a question :

since smoothing groups are basically a detaching of faces ( hence the increase of vert count since the verts were duplicated ) if you have one continuous mesh and one with smoothing groups wich one would be faster to render ? my assumption is the continuos since there isnt any overlaping vertex, but i would like to know more about implementation of smoothing groups on assets , when are they a must do and when its better to make god smoothing via polygon.

i dont make sense.
Joao Sapiro Josue - 3D freelance artist
Online Portfolio
Contact Me
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,708 Posts, Join Date May 2005, Location Portugal  

Old (#14)
You only learn when and where to break the rules once you've
spent months doing it. I am sorry that this sounds like a cheap answer but its the truth.

I've seen my processing , with the cage, with multiple smoothing groups, then switching to 1 smoothing group on a basic non chamfered wall shape so the smoothing is REALLY
stretched and showing lots of horrible black to white gradients in max.

When I take that ingame, the smoothing forces the engine to bend the normals so when the level is rebuilt you get a
LOT more normals popping out.

Rick: that might be it, i don't remember all the technical reasons for each thing working as it does, i remember
more what works simply from habit now as there are so many
more rules and what not to bear in mind.

k.

Old (#15)
Johny. You make sense.
3d hardware has no concept of smoothing groups. A vertex can only contain one normal, so what we call "smoothing groups" is actually just "split geometry".
So, here are the real vertex counts, with the object in the middle having smoothing groups.

Keep in mind that the same goes for UV coordinates. Just one coordinate per vertex.

Old (#16)
More split edges(smoothing groups) are going to give you a higher # of verts, this will always be slower. How much slower in reality it actually is i have no idea, probablly not much.
Offline , Moderator, 10,550 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Iowa City, IA  

Old (#17)
UVmapping. In this example, the 3d model for the leg on the left will use less verts than the one on the right. It'll have more uv-distortion, but with uv-relax this is distributed throughout the UV-island and not an issue, especially when normalmapping.

edit: lesson learned is: Keep your UVmaps as continuous as possible. If you're mapping a box, all six sides should be connected. Also keep in mind that if you bevel instead of using smoothing groups, it will still increase your vert count if there's a UV seam on the beveled area.

Old (#18)
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean a unique prebaked AO map?. In theory if you use a second UV for unique map, thats 2 shorts = 4 bytes, which is as much as a vertexcolor. And therefore more expensive (you send same pervertex but still need to sample AO map). it has to do with internal ut3 specific setups.

looking at the ut3 demo shaders, I actually found that you guys probably have some very complex baked lighting stuff, which is better to store into textures. It seems to be more than just a color value. In fact if the effect is done per vertex 3 x float4 are sent, compared to the single float2 for texture coordinate. Which is a lot more, that is "not normal" for oldschool lightmapping [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] but probably some fancy quality thing you do. havent really reverse engineered the effect, but as per-vertex effect its indeed very fat. But maybe you mean realtime shadows and not baked stuff at all. ... edit: after some more diving into it, its directional lightmapping like in hl2.

anyway this example shows that "it depends", and a magic value like the 600, has to do with vertex formats effects, ie very engine specific.

what the batch article by nvidia showed however, is that there are engine independent "limits", ie say less than 300 today makes no difference if its 1 tris or 300. (the numbers back then were around 200 I simply guessed the 300 for todays cards)

Old (#19)
I think thats referring to using lightmaps as opposed to stencil shadows? Not actually ambocc type lightmaps.

Old (#20)
Really cool thread! Per I had a question:

[ QUOTE ]
I never use cages for rendering normal maps anymore. It turns out to be horrible workflow-wise. They most often break when you start editing the original mesh and in the case of 3ds max restrict the processing rays to straight paths instead of bending them nicely creating a smoother result. Instead of ray cages, you're mostly better off simply adding more geo to the object. You can always make that geo count visually as well as cleaning up your normal map results.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was confused by you saying you never use cages for rendering normal maps; I thought that was the only way to render normal maps? Sorry if this is a retarded question; do you just mean you don't use Max's cages?
Offline , polycounter, 864 Posts, Join Date Sep 2005, Location Montreal  

Old (#21)
hobo: Terminology is a bit loose, it can be confusing. The cages I'm talking about are usually copies of your lowpoly mesh which are deformed to control the length and direction of the normal map processing rays. You can generate a normal map just fine without a cage, it'll use the vertex normals and a configurable ray length.

edit: in max, you can turn off the cage being shown in the projection modifier rollout, and disable it entirely in the render-to-texture menu (click Options, then Use Cage, now define a ray length)

Old (#22)
You can use a cage, or you can simply use the "offset" function in max.

Old (#23)
Can we sticky this or add it toa PC wiki or something?

One question:
[ QUOTE ]

edit: lesson learned is: Keep your UVmaps as continuous as possible. If you're mapping a box, all six sides should be connected. Also keep in mind that if you bevel instead of using smoothing groups, it will still increase your vert count if there's a UV seam on the beveled area.

[/ QUOTE ]

So anytime you have a texture seam it will detach the vertices in the engine?
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,989 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Seattle, WA Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via MSN to oXYnary  

Old (#24)
[ QUOTE ]
Can we sticky this or add it toa PC wiki or something?

One question:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So anytime you have a texture seam it will detach the vertices in the engine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. UV splits & smoothing group edges will split the vertices. I remember reading a pretty good article about this in a gd mag some years ago. I'll try and dig up that article on gamasutra.
Kurtis Smith
Senior Artist - Petroglyph Games
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 1,901 Posts, Join Date Nov 2005, Location Las Vegas, NV  

Old (#25)
oxy: yes unfortunately. To help you visualize why, you can imagine the data associated with a vertex.. the structure is always the same size, so you'll only get one UV coordinate. In max, it seems you can have several uv's and several normals per vert, but even 3d modeling programs break stuff up, it's just done transparently to you. When you select and move one vert like that, you're actually moving several.

Well, I'll ask CB to give an example of such a structure. It ties together with what he said earlier about triangles just indexing a list of verts.