Big Huge Games
, developer of the award-winning
real-time strategy games Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends, is expanding into a multi-team, multi-genre, next-gen company. We're looking for an experienced, exceptionally knowledgeable, talented, and motivated Lead Character Artist to participate in the creation of our upcoming RPG (to be published by THQ, check out the press release here
Big Huge Games is a company that values team skills as much as it values technical skills. By sticking to this "core value" we have created a fun and energetic workplace with a passion for AAA game development. We realize the key to our continued success hinges on nurturing a talented and motivated team that takes great pride in their accomplishments. We're looking for people interested in:
<ul type="square"> * Developing cutting-edge new IP across multiple next-gen platforms and genres, which will include work on our unannounced console RPG title led by Ken Rolston, Lead Designer of Oblivion and Morrowind.
* Pushing the development of RTS games through our Rise of Nations® franchise and beyond.
* Continuing to develop downloadable games like our upcoming version of Settlers of Catan for XBLA.[/list]
Job Purpose and Responsibilities:
The Lead Character Artist will work closely with the Art Director and project Leads from project inception to finish and will have a significant role in establishing and maintaining the look of the project. Major responsibilities include:
<ul type="square"> * Manage an internal character art team day-to-day (in addition to external contractors).
* Works with Art Lead and Production team to define key milestones.
* Frequently interface with our talented concept art team to ensure consistency between concept and game character assets.
* Develop run-time game character procedures & pipelines.
* Coordinate the technical and aesthetic processes in order to realize the vision.
* Manages, mentors and coaches staff, including bi-weekly meetings with all character team members.
* Makes a significant direct contribution to the creation of character art.
* Leads by example. Demonstrates, communicates and exemplifies clear expectations for quality of work, productivity, communication and professionalism to the character team.[/list]Skills and Experience:
<ul type="square"> * 5+ years professional game development experience.
* Shipped titles as a Senior and/or Lead Character Artist on PC or console (PS2/ PS3/ Xbox/ 360/ Wii). Experience in FPS and/or RPG a plus.
* Experience developing original IP from conception to completion.
* Extensive experience and proficiency with 3D Studio MAX, Zbrush (and/or Mudbox) and Photoshop.
* Expertise with current graphics production techniques.
* Outstanding drawing, design and conceptual art skills.
* Strong 3d modeling and texture mapping skills.[/list]Qualifications:
<ul type="square"> * Solid understanding of next-gen game character development processes, limitations and dependencies.
* Excellent communication, time-management and organizational skills.
* Task driven, self-motivated, proactive.
* Strong leadership and interpersonal abilities.
* Actively accepts and provides direction, works well under deadline pressure.
* An enormous passion for games.[/list]In addition to competitive salaries, Big Huge Games offers an extremely attractive benefits package, including:
<ul type="square"> * A royalty based bonus plan far in excess of industry standards.
* Stock options to all full-time employees.
* 401(k) plan.
* Generous paid vacation, sick leave, maternity/paternity/family leave, personal days and holidays.
* Comprehensive health insurance plan that is, you guessed it, employer funded for you and your dependents. We don't just stop there, you and your family members get employer funded life insurance and disability coverage too![/list]Contact Info:
Big Huge's preferred method of viewing your artwork and resume is by email submission of your portfolio website link to firstname.lastname@example.org. Links to professional blogs are also of interest. We encourage applicants to attach 3 samples of their strongest character work (JPG preferred). Limit total of attachments to 3mb or less. Note in the subject line "Lead Character Artist." Please do not send items via US Mail.
Big Huge Games is located in Timonium, Maryland. What's so cool and unique about life in Maryland? Click here to find out!