Old (#1)
Hey guys,

A few years back I lost all my sprites and environment work I did on a Sega Genesis title. I see people with ripped sprites from Genesis games all over the net, but I have no idea how they got them. Does anyone know of an emulator that can do this?

Thanks!
www.superostrich.net
My Sketchbook
Lead Character Artist - Neversoft Entertainment
Offline , triangle, 313 Posts, Join Date Mar 2006, Location Woodland Hills, CA  

Old (#2)
Oh man, you're taking me back a few years XD. There was a program I remember for removing certain sprites from games, but it never really worked well. Most sprite rips you see are done by hand with screenshots. Some emulators allow you to remove certain layers of graphics, so that helps sometimes.

You might want to look here: http://gsarchives.net/index2.php

What game was it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,639 Posts, Join Date Jul 2005, Location Texas  

Old (#3)
It was The Adventures of Batman and Robin for the Sega Genesis. I wasn't on GSA, unfortunately.

Even an emulator that allowed layer separating would be fantastic. Some of the environment work I did would be totally obscured by foreground layers, and the boss character I did for the game was on his own layer. Do you know of an emulator offhand that allows this?
www.superostrich.net
My Sketchbook
Lead Character Artist - Neversoft Entertainment
Offline , triangle, 313 Posts, Join Date Mar 2006, Location Woodland Hills, CA  

Old (#4)
try GENS. Worse case, just play the game and take shots no?
Offline , spline, 246 Posts, Join Date Sep 2006,  

Old (#5)
most sprites are ripped by switching off layers.

grabbing the tiles is a nightmare, as you're just diving into hex of 8x8 pixel blocks and have to cycle the palette around until it looks decent (which it never does)
Don't be a quitter, follow me on Twitter
Offline , insane polycounter, 5,090 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location .jp