Author : Texelion

Old (#1)
since no one seems to know how to make thumbnails and then complaign about the formatting of the boards messing up with large images i figured i'd show you how to make thumbnails. this way bearkub or r13 don't have to use the crappy levelshot hack.

1) get you image. for purposes of this tut i will be using the full image of my avatar.

2)open your paint program. (i'm using photoshop)

3)open your image.

4)go up to 'Image':

5)go to 'Image Size'

6)click on constain proportions and change 'pixels' to 'percent'. set the percentage to something like 25%:

7)press 'OK'

when posting use the following:
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre></pre><hr />

there easy to do and it takes less than a minute to make a thumbnail and makes the boards cleaner [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] as artists ALL of you should know how to make thumbnails and use them anyway. shame on you all [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

and yes i know my images have crappy compression. it helps when uploading on a shared 48k connection [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,421 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location The Hollows  

Old (#2)
MY GOD I NEVER KNEW IT WAS SO SIMPLE!
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
=^.^=
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,432 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location KY  

Old (#3)
Or make an action.....
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,289 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Edinburgh, Scotland Send a message via MSN to Rick Stirling  

Old (#4)
wow, I thought you were actaully doing a tutorial on making small sketches before you actaully start your main projects.

Though onto the topic, I suppose I never really thought of using that. I guess it just seemed to be a hassle to upload a thumbnail of the picture I'm using aswell as the picture.
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,164 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004,  

Old (#5)
Heh, I came in to this thread thinking it was for thumbnails for sketches. Haha. Yah, good job on the mini tut though.
Offline , Administrator, 8,957 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Toronto, Canada Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam  

Old (#6)
Actually, i find it looks better as 33% [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
[/geek(whomayevenbeverywronginthinkingso)]
Artist at Interwave Studios | Polycount Wiki | Portfolio |||<
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,314 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Amsterdam Send a message via MSN to MightyPea  

Old (#7)
You can do this even faster by taking your original image, and setting the Crop Tool to, say, 80x80 pixels in the Options Bar. Then you just drag the Crop tool anywhere around your image, whether the whole or part of it, and the proportions will stick to whatever you st it to. Hit Enter and you have your thumbnail image. Be sure and save it as a separate file from your original!

/jzero
Offline , polycounter, 795 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Dallas, TX USA  

Old (#8)
hmmm i'll never make thumbnails, i am too lazy and don't think it matters much since i pimp once a year, so if anyone see's a pimp by me and you have something against non thumbnail posts, then just don't click. personaly i don't like thumbs, jsut another step to go thru, when making pimps and reading others
AIM & Yahoo = Meandalethesnail
Offline , triangle, 426 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004,  

Old (#9)
I don't think he's talking about standard pimp threads here, more like those "show your desktop" thingies where you can expect a whole lot of pics per page.
No deity could fill any of our requirements if handicapped with existence. -Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,550 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Peine, Niedersachsen, Germany, Europe, Sol 3, Milky Way  

Old (#10)
yes for really large images, both in size and dimensions.

YAY! i got stickied! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,421 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location The Hollows  

Old (#11)
I always make thumbnails for when I post my pics, especially when it's the desktop threads. xD
Offline , triangle, 274 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Aalborg, Denmark  

Old (#12)
In the old boards, I remeber using a UBB tag called "screenshot" I believe. It automatically made your image into a thumbnail hyperlink to the regular sized image. Does that work on these boards? Has anyone tried it yet? I think I'll give it a shot....

***UPDATE***
couldn't get it to work...oh well.
Senior Artist, Vicarious Visions
Offline , line, 73 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Albany, NY Send a message via AIM to Ribking Send a message via MSN to Ribking Send a message via Yahoo to Ribking  

Old (#13)
that was lvlshot and no it doenst work. it was a board hack and it didnt creat thumbnails it just reduced the image to certain dimensions. if you had a 500k image it was still 500k to load the smaller image.

good thumbanils let people see the image without having to wait for 500k to download [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old (#14)
Or you can just make a really big image then use that for the thumbnail - only in the html make it's size smaller. So then you have to download the full image even if you don't want to..
..and then be hated by everyone.
Offline , vertex, 38 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#15)
Wait wait wait a damn minute...you can RESIZE an image after it's done? I've been starting a new image every time! SON OF A!!!
C. Bruce - Senior Animator - Cryptic Studios
Offline , spline, 166 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location San Jose, CA  

Old (#16)
hahahaha poor me, i thought it was impossible to size an image without constraning its proportion before today. And i 've been using photoshop since 1998 or close !

:dies:
Learn from sages, wise and fools.
Offline , polycounter, 821 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004,  

Old (#17)
*Betlog slaps everybody with a large thumbnail.
Offline , null, 5 Posts, Join Date Mar 2005, Location Brisbane, Australia  

Old (#18)
i slaved and slaved over this tutorial and i still can't view threads like "What are you working on?" without having to refresh every 5minutes for half an hour because of the huge and many images [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

i don't even let half the pimp threads load anymore because no takes a few seconds to creat a half decent thumbnail. i only finished loading b1ll's thread to see Harry Potter [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

also (i don't know if it's an issue with these new boards) thumbnails will keep the size of a thread down by keeping the multiple 100kb+ images off the boards and on their hosted sites. if i remember correctly the Spinning Quad thread was quite a large load (30mb?) on the old boards causing them to slow down and cripple all of them.

Old (#19)
The images loaded from other servers don't impact the board server because the loading is clientside, the board tells the client to grab that image and the client does.

BTW, why would you want thumnbnails in single model pimpthreads? When there are only two or three images that you want to see anyway?
No deity could fill any of our requirements if handicapped with existence. -Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,550 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Peine, Niedersachsen, Germany, Europe, Sol 3, Milky Way  

Old (#20)
most people don't seem to even consider image size anymore (actual dimensions or file size). there might only be 2-3 images but they are still 200+kb each. and that's only the initial pimp and not subsequent updates.

i just went through b1ll's thread and there is around 2.3 megs of images plus another 150kb or so of "hey you model looks like this". i shudder to think how many megs each page of the "what are you working on?" thread are or the speedpaint threads.

Old (#21)
fear no large images from me or others on slow dial-up like me, for we know the woes of loading threads where posters seem to think there is nothing wrong with high-res, low compression jpegs!

use the 'save for web' function people! and drop it to about 60% - it will reduce the file size to a minute amount and no-one will ever see the difference!
Level Modeller
Krome Studios
Offline , vertex, 35 Posts, Join Date Mar 2005, Location Queensland, Australia  

Old (#22)
lmao, dont crop ANYTHING! lol, just use imageshack for hosting, as they MAKE the thumbnails for you...........LOL
Offline , line, 82 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005,  

Old (#23)
Lol. Look I'm giggling like a retard lol.

Old (#24)
I'm almost a little surprised to see a thread like this.
Almost [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Offline , spline, 166 Posts, Join Date Jul 2005,  

Old (#25)
Believe me, it helped me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
No Pain / No Gain
Offline , null, 13 Posts, Join Date Feb 2006, Location EC