Home Technical Talk

MaxScript- toggle turbosmooth

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
this is a little script i wrote today to help when high poly modeling. lots of times i want to just check real quick how my model would look with a turbosmooth modifier on it. before i would have a turbosmooth at the top of the stack and move up to check, then go back down to edit the mesh. This script simplifies the process a bit.

Assign this script to a key, press once to check turbosmooth, press the key again to delete the modifier. i usually check with 2 iterations, if you would like a different value i think its pretty self explanatory to change it to something else.

copy script paste it in maxscript or notepad, save out as whateveryouwant.mcr and place in your UI macroscript folder. then assign it to a key via customize user interface. hope this helps..

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> macroScript Togglesmooth category:"arshlevon" tooltip:"ASmooth"

(

ASmooth = true

on execute do (
if ASmooth then (
smooth = TurboSmooth()
smooth.iterations = 2
smooth.isolineDisplay = on
modPanel.addModToSelection (smooth)
) else
deleteModifier $ 1

ASmooth = not ASmooth
)
)
</pre><hr />

Replies

• SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Max has a built in toggle for edit poly subdivision called 'NURMS toggle (poly)'. This subdivides the actual base object the way meshsmooth does it (as far as display is concerned) but still allows you to edit the (low poly) geometry when it's subdivided. You can set the iterations under the subdivision surface menu. The great thing is that you can keep editing as you never even leave the subobject you're working in.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice Arsh, I wrote a similar one a while back, except it added a Symmetry modifier too for working on halved meshes.
    Skullbox is right about the NURMS thing though, I usually just use that for checking unless I need the centre seam hidden.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    SkullBox: but it's not Turbo! :P

What I usually do is leave the turbo smooth and whatever other modifiers on top of the stack and use a hotkey to toggle "Show End Result" while working on the Edit Poly at the bottom.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep sin, I'd do that, but when you have a Symmetry modifier in the stack too, then you only see half of the model if you toggle Show End Result off - this is why I usually Freeze an Instance mirrored version of the mesh, and have the maxscript turn on "hide frozen objects" too. Works pretty well.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    the reason i wrote it is i usually work on meshes with several different pieces,check smoothing on all of them at once is a little bit of a pain. for instance if i want to check the way a tight sleeve is fitting over an arm all i have to do is select both of them and hit the script. same goes for a mesh with 20 pieces, i find being able to toggle it on real quick to check the whole model saves me a nice bit of time than turning on nurms divisions on all of them and i can still work with the symetry on and not have to move down the stack to check it out. its more to aid with lots of pieces, not just one mesh.