Old (#1)
Hello polycounters !
I'm back today with a new script for Maya !

I always wanted to get a nice retopoly toolset for Maya but never found what I desired, so I build my own script to get what I wanted. I'm sharing it with you today.

The main idea was to be able to manipulate the geometry of your low-poly withing the same tool, without the need to switch between a lot of things and keep the full power of Maya without needing to export to an other software.

Download : froRetopo 3.5
Manual : Full manual on my blog

The script is open to any suggestions and I will gladly improve it with your feedbacks !

Thanks again to Passerby for the help with the rayTrace function !

Last edited by Froyok; 02-09-2014 at 08:43 AM..
Fabrice Piquet - Technical Artist, Product Designer, Quality Assurance - Allegorithmic
Twitter - LinkedIn - Portfolio - Maya Scripts
Offline , polycounter, 1,210 Posts, Join Date Jun 2010, Location Namur, Belgium Send a message via MSN to Froyok Send a message via Skype™ to Froyok  

Old (#2)
gj works great sofar
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,186 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010, Location Halifax, NS, Canada  

Old (#3)
Wow this looks awesome. Would be even more nice to see it used on say a face or something organic to relate to.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,536 Posts, Join Date Dec 2004, Location Skåne, Sweden  

Old (#4)
I will try to post some examples as soon I can, I didn't have any good props under my hands to test at the moment.
Fabrice Piquet - Technical Artist, Product Designer, Quality Assurance - Allegorithmic
Offline , polycounter, 1,210 Posts, Join Date Jun 2010, Location Namur, Belgium Send a message via MSN to Froyok Send a message via Skype™ to Froyok  

Old (#5)
Thank you very much sir, you made my day!
Offline , triangle, 427 Posts, Join Date Jan 2011, Location São Paulo Send a message via Skype™ to OniLolz  

Old (#6)
This is great man! So glad you finally released this!
Offline , polygon, 721 Posts, Join Date Jan 2011, Location Raleigh NC  

Old (#7)
Thank you so much man!
Offline , spline, 118 Posts, Join Date Dec 2009, Location Midwest  

Old (#8)
Woah, this looks promising,, awesome job.
Offline , spline, 145 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012, Location Toronto, Ontario, Canada  

Old (#9)
This is awesome! Can't wait to try it out.
Environment Artist @ BioWare Austin
Portfolio
Offline , line, 84 Posts, Join Date Feb 2012, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#10)
Just to show how I use my own script :

Also, I'm working on an update coming soon, to fix some bugs that some people meet.

Old (#11)
Love it.
The UI can be improved imo (to take up less space by using more icons and less text for example) but overall you've nailed it pretty damn nicely. I'll try this the next time I model car!
Martin Dahlin, 3D Artist, Blackbeard Games - Portfolio - LinkedIn

Nightshade UV Editor (Autodesk Maya): Extends Maya's default UV Texture Editor with additional tools to improve your workflow.
Nightshade Materializer (Autodesk Maya): Smart material manager and toolbox.
Nightshade Blockout (Autodesk Maya): Makes creating blockout/selection maps in Maya fast and smooth - as it always should've been.
Nightshade Kill Switch (Autodesk Maya): Instantly kill the Maya process from inside of Maya.
Online , triangle, 253 Posts, Join Date Sep 2012, Location Stockholm, Sweden  

Old (#12)
Nice job man! Thank you!
Offline , null, 18 Posts, Join Date Dec 2012, Location Montreal  

Old (#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Nightshade View Post
The UI can be improved imo (to take up less space by using more icons and less text for example)
Yeah, totally.
I think I could remove the whole "Selection" frame by the way (not really useful). Just keeping the "project geometry" button near the quad tool. Just this should help reduce the size of the UI.

Old (#14)
Thanks for the great tool! The install seems to have worked fine, but I get an error when trying to extrude an edge: // Error: Cannot find procedure "froRayTrace". //

I copied the files to Maya's documents folder as you stated. I was only confused to see the python command going into a new plugins folder there (which I created as you stated), instead of the plugins folder in the Program Files. Did I miss anything else that could be causing this error? I'm using Maya 2012 x64. Thanks again!

John
John DeRiggi
Senior Character Artist - Schell Games
www.johnderiggi.com
Art Station | CG Society | Facebook
Offline , vertex, 25 Posts, Join Date Aug 2011, Location Pittsburgh, PA, USA  

Old (#15)
the frocmds.py actually is a plugin, it needs to be in the plug-ins folder, than you have to enable the plugin from the menu system in maya.

window>settings/preferences/plug-in Manager

find froCmds.py and select loaded, and auto load.

the py file can go either in the folder your created or in with the maya install, just a preference thing.
maya search both places, and all modal folders for plugins

Last edited by passerby; 07-02-2013 at 03:20 PM..
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,186 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010, Location Halifax, NS, Canada  

Old (#16)
I'm having a wierd issue with the plugin. I watched the videos and setup my HP mesh for retopo. I create my initial poly with the make polygon tool. I press control + shift and drag out my first extrusion and all is good and functional. However, after the first extrusion, if I try to do it again from any edge, it just automatically snaps to the surface of my HP mesh at a wierd angle.

Not sure what is going on here.

After messing around a bit, when I disable project edge extrude, I can extrude as many quads as I want and it appears to function okay, but quad auto weld does not work while it is disabled.

Last edited by Lucas Annunziata; 02-07-2014 at 10:15 AM..
Lucas Annunziata
Environment Artist
Torn Banner
Offline , polygon, 632 Posts, Join Date Jun 2010, Location Toronto, Ontario, Canada  

Old (#17)
You are under Maya 2014 I presume ? If yes, this is a bug I fixed in the incoming version. Should be available this weekend.

Old (#18)
Yeah maya 2014. I am super glad to hear you'll be updating it this weekend. Thanks so much for all your tools fro. I just discovered them and they will make my life sooooo much easier.
Lucas Annunziata
Environment Artist
Torn Banner
Offline , polygon, 632 Posts, Join Date Jun 2010, Location Toronto, Ontario, Canada  

Old (#19)
Update 3.5 is available !

Download : http://www.froyok.fr/maya/froRetopo35.zip
Manual : http://www.froyok.fr/blog/2013-06-ma...opology-script
(Old version, I don't have enough time right now to update the manual too)

Changelog :
Quote:
[version 3.5]
-Added a function to count the number of nGons in the currently selected mesh
-Added a function to count the number of edge borders in the currently selected mesh
-Added insert and delete edge loop in the Quad tool
-Added an option to automatically soften the edges of the low-poly when using the Quad Tool

-Updated the viewport UI of the Quad Tool to display all the mouse shortcuts
-Updated the Quad tool to give an error if the user don’t have a scene in centimeters
-Updated the UI to make it easier to use (+ removing unnecessary tools)
-Updated the Python plugin, now gives better performances on vertices operations
-Updated the edge extrude, now with better performances when projecting on the high poly
-Updated the sculpt tools to improve performances when selecting all the vertices

-Fixed an error about the Edge Loop tool not finding a froTools command
-Fixed an error about the “edgeToVertex” option (when releasing the mouse in the Quad Tool)
-Fixed an error when an object was too big for the Quad Tool (distance limited by 1000 units, now raised to 10000)
-Fixed soft selection problem (now soft selection is disabled when launching the quad tool)
-Fixed a conflict that was affecting the edge extrude under Maya 2014 (“selectTypeChangeAffectsActive” option)
-Fixed the C++ crash of the viewport (use “currentTime” command instead of “refresh”)

Old (#20)
Huzzah! Thanks man! It seems to be working quite smoothly for me after putting 'selectPref -selectTypeChangeAffectsActive 0;' into the mel line. I'll keep you posted if anything comes up.
Lucas Annunziata
Environment Artist
Torn Banner

Old (#21)
AMAZING
Offline , polygon, 543 Posts, Join Date Aug 2013, Location Leeds, United Kingdom Send a message via Skype™ to Dave Jr  

Old (#22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbeenbo View Post
Huzzah! Thanks man! It seems to be working quite smoothly for me after putting 'selectPref -selectTypeChangeAffectsActive 0;' into the mel line. I'll keep you posted if anything comes up.
Even with the 3.5 update ? The script should take care of that by itself, you shouldn't have to do it manually. Can you give me more details ?

Old (#23)
Not sure what else I can tell you. I'm using maya 2014 64-bit, and the setting was not on by default. It does however save the setting when put in manually.

I have noticed now that whenever I undo something, instead of just instantly undoing the action, the program actually reverses the 'animation' of what I just did, if that makes any sense. So if I extrude down and to the left, then hit undo, the extrusion moves right and up back from whence it came.
Lucas Annunziata
Environment Artist
Torn Banner

Old (#24)
Quote:
Not sure what else I can tell you. I'm using maya 2014 64-bit, and the setting was not on by default. It does however save the setting when put in manually.
Hmm, strange. The quad tool disable this setting (and enable it back if it was on by default). I have other users that tested the script and didn't have a problem with this system... To be honest I don't see why you had to do it manually.

I will investigate further is other users report the same problem...

Quote:
I have noticed now that whenever I undo something, instead of just instantly undoing the action, the program actually reverses the 'animation' of what I just did, if that makes any sense. So if I extrude down and to the left, then hit undo, the extrusion moves right and up back from whence it came.
Yep, that behavior is normal. It's because of the way I handle the refresh of the viewport. This is the only way I found to avoid some C++ crash on certain computers.

Old (#25)
Even with 3.5 I'm getting the same issues as Darbeenbo when extruding an edge. The first one works and the rest only extrude a bit and get suck. I'm running maya 2014 as well.
Offline , null, 21 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012,