Old (#1)
I'm not super happy with the results I get in Photoshop. Before I go off and buy a new chunk of hardware I'd like to give some other packages a try. I seem to remember a few coming up in posts a little while back but I can't find them. What are some of the better sketch programs out there?
Offline , polycounter, 1,076 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location away from polycount  

Old (#2)
Art Rage! Plus it's free.
I heard Alias Sketchbook (is that the right name?) is pretty good too.

What is it in particular that you don't like about sketching in Photoshop?
Offline , MoP, 11,623 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location London, UK  

Old (#3)
I had a hell of a time just getting a consistent line down instead of sputter, still an issue because photoshop likes to chuck out my settings on the occasion. General wonkieness. Swapping back and forth between pen and mouse had an issue in that the mouse wouldn't work until I drew a bit with the pen on startup after using the pen during my last session. Lines never looked as smooth as I thought they should, the whole thing felt so sterile and unsuited to what I was trying to do. The cursor would occasionally disappear at the worst possible time. Never could figure out how to keep the line from looking pixilated.
Offline , polycounter, 1,076 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location away from polycount  

Old (#4)
Line looking pixelated? Try a higher-res image, maybe? I've never had that problem.
As for lines not looking as smooth as you think they should, try checking the "Smoothing" option in the Brushes palette, that usually helps.
As for all of the other issues you mentioned, I've never come across them, so I'd be tempted to say it's your tablet/mouse drivers that are screwing up somehow, not Photoshop.

Give Art Rage a try.

Old (#5)
The more recent versions of Photoshop have a smoothing setting you can add to your brush strokes to avoid those aliasing issues. Failing that you could perhaps try softening the brush (shift-square bracket) one level which should still give you a reasonably sharp line while cutting back on aliasing.

I have the opposite problem on starting photshop, or even if I leave it alone for a while. The tablet won't work until I tap the pen, move the mouse then return to the pen. Its not really a big issue.

As for other options, Alias sketchbook is quite nice but then so is Photoshop...
Tipping cows in fields Elysian.

Portfolio: www.jackablade.com
Offline , Counter of Polys™, 6,229 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#6)
Is there a way to get art rage to ignore what area of the tablet I'm drawing on or at least accurately show where I am on the canvas?

Old (#7)
...not quite sure what you mean there. The brush tool should accurately show where you are on the canvas?

Old (#8)
Basically I like the program but prefer to work in mouse mode. The arrow is where I’m drawing (that point matches where my pen was on the tablet) the cursor in the circle is where I wanted to scribble.

Old (#9)
Whaaaaaaa?

Old (#10)
Hahaha, I don't know what to say to that!

Old (#11)
Well, I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to use your pen in mouse mode. To me that's just confusing and counter-intuitive. If the program doesn't seem to like that, it's probably because they're expecting most people to use their pen in pen mode!

Old (#12)
photoshop for sketching sucks, yep, especially the newer releases. the smoothing option makes it a performance eater, with the brush trying to catch up on occasion. has interpolation issues as well when you're doing quick strokes or change directions fast, it seems.

art rage has always been choppy on my boxes; nice brushes, good for a play, but not quite my taste of program for an everyday app. too annoying a brush behaviour to stand it more than a few minutes - digital painting should not be about simulating the shortcomings of traditional methods imho.

sketchbook has a very nice painterly feeling to it. i like that program but i don't do enough sketching to be able to justify the expense. you should check it out, though. it's like a trimmed-down version of studiopaint, a god among paint programs [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

an incredibly talented fella and ex-coworker of mine swears by a software called open canvas for most of his sketching/painting needs. never tried that one personally.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,349 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Germany Send a message via ICQ to thomasp  

Old (#13)
i second ArtRage for sketching and quick painting!
Offline , polygon, 505 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Send a message via MSN to StrangeFate  

Old (#14)
Personally, openCanvas is my choice and well worth the price, but I don't do as much sketching as I wish I did. It's got some good features though, the rotatable canvas is priceless [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I worry that people will judge it by the WarPaint application in the oC thread though, I can't use that thing myself >.> oC has come a long way since the free version (1)
Offline , polygon, 540 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Durham, NC  

Old (#15)
yes, opencanvas was nice in the brief experience i had with it. Although, i still don't think you can beat photoshop 5 and a wacom tablet with a worn nib and big gouges down the plastic overlay.
all you guys out there, you're gonna wish you were Al Green
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,382 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location york  

Old (#16)
I prefer Sketchbook myself - nice simple and focused UI. ArtRage 2 feels more sluggish than the original - though I do like the extra features they added. Sketchbook is snappy with the feedback by comparison.

I also like open canvas. Great cheap program with good brushes - though still feels closer to photoshop in terms of UI and workflow, which could be a good thing.
Offline , polygon, 733 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Irvine, California  

Old (#17)
My vote goes to Sketchbook Pro. Nice crisp pencil, blotty markers, and a fluid pen. Artrage 2 didn't feel as calibrated with the Wacom's pen pressure as Sketchbook Pro does. It is on the expensive side for what it does...since you've got already got Photoshop, play around with the brush settings and save your own presets.

I'll try to post by sketching brush library.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,882 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Singapore Send a message via MSN to Snowfly Send a message via Skype™ to Snowfly  

Old (#18)
i love artrage, i have never used sketchbook, but a free copy came with a maya fundamentals book i bought,i just never used it. so if you have any interest in learning maya, you can get a copy of sketchbook pro for free.
--------------------------------

http://arshlevon.cghub.com/images/
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,437 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004,  

Old (#19)
What book was this? And was it any good?

Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Game & Level Designer
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,130 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Vancouver, BC Send a message via MSN to Tulkamir  

Old (#20)
i have a hunch that you get a 30-day, and not a license for sketchbook pro. one thing i forgot to add about the program: WORST PAINTBRUSH EVER!
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,882 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Singapore Send a message via MSN to Snowfly Send a message via Skype™ to Snowfly  

Old (#21)
I would add my vote for Open Canvas, very simple and intuitive. Plus it has the event recorder for learning/teaching technique.
"You put bones in the tits, but not in the hair... LOL!"

Site: http://www.mannimation.co.uk
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,415 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Fraggle Rock  

Old (#22)
gwot: agreed. art rage 2 was supposed to be faster, though it seems even more choppy than the first one here, too.

danr: turn the overlay surface of the wacom around. looks stupid, but feels smooth as silk again [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,349 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Germany Send a message via ICQ to thomasp  

Old (#23)
[ QUOTE ]
photoshop for sketching sucks, yep, especially the newer releases. the smoothing option makes it a performance eater, with the brush trying to catch up on occasion. has interpolation issues as well when you're doing quick strokes or change directions fast, it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]I've never had these problems, and I usually have Photoshop going with Maya, Zbrush and a bunch of other crap running in the background. How ancient is the machine you're trying to run this on?
Tipping cows in fields Elysian.

Portfolio: www.jackablade.com
Offline , Counter of Polys™, 6,229 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#24)
[ QUOTE ]
I've never had these problems, and I usually have Photoshop going with Maya, Zbrush and a bunch of other crap running in the background. How ancient is the machine you're trying to run this on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is odd, since on my 3.0ghz P4 witrh 2 gig of ram, nothing else open, quick strokes in Photoshop always come out like this for me:

I gave up trying to figure out what the hell my issue was and got OpenCanvas with no similiar issues. Feels nice, and I love the rotating canvas.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,572 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location SF Bay area  

Old (#25)
Daz: What tablet do you use? I know with the Graphire line there is a significant latency in it's sampling, so quick strokes always end up choppy. It's not an issue in some programs, I suppose because of the way they handle the input. Flash and Photoshop have always done that for me, but OpenCanvas or ArtRage are spiffy.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,639 Posts, Join Date Jul 2005, Location Texas