Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    1-5.jpg

modelign out some weapons (went abit over board hahaha) ds spec, I am trying to keep them all at 80 polys and under 200 tris, there are a few which I have yet to optimize.

Could someone advise me on the texture size which would be right for these (first person) on the ds, and the format and things like that.

thanks
    chris
  • Lynx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lynx polycounter lvl 12
    Kawe: 256x256 is fine, but the details could do with some sharpening, maybe add more detailing. You should also clean up the seams, add some weathering maybe.
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    anoter tank... 500 tris on the dot, 2 128x128 and 1 32x64
    med_tank_low.jpg
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    cute tank! :) gjgj
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    team fortress civil war?... low poliez for the north!

tf2_acw_soldier_06.jpg
    256^2 body, 540 tris
    128*64 shotty, 80 tris

need to fix up some proportions, and i dont know if i can make these old school grenades look like grenades... they kinda just look like coconuts lol
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice tank DrillerKiller. Cool texture style :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yep very nice tank texture- reminds me of the good MG(S) days
  • Toshiba-3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toshiba-3 polycounter lvl 15
    Hi, first post on Polycount. There's a lot of very nice work around!
    Just posting my latest lowpoly Birdy model:
    It's been made for Carmageddon 1, based on an early artwork of Carmageddon 2.
    208 triangles, textures are 1X128*, 2X64* and 6X32*
    Made my best with the horrid colors palette C1 has...
    The first quarter of the pic on the left is said artwork.

Birdy_blog.gifBirdytex_blog.gif
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet Toshiba, nice work! You could spend some extra polygons on a more believable shadow. Maybe just two planes crossing.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    played along with my engine a little bit further
    screenshot.gif
    online demo

some changes
    - should be running smoother with a bigger level (level size doesn´t really matter that much)
    - object tile mechanics to clip faster and efficient objects
    - some new objects in the level

oh and btw. the whole engine + external texture + 24 external 3d files = just 70.1 KB (the biggest chunk is actually the xml holding the layout)
  • kream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kream polycounter lvl 13
    Did this for fun one day... kind of work related DS Testing...

Trying to make a DS spec character, minimal bone count, that could be fully animated...

348 Tris w/21 bones:

mamawire.jpg

-Using toon in max, but would have to use nintendo toon shading tools.

mama1.jpg

Anyone have any recommendations on Edge marking/tooning on DS, especially being able to control edge thickness?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    very nice renderhjs
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    nice mama Kream!
  • RickA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RickA polycounter lvl 18
    kream wrote: »
    Did this for fun one day... kind of work related DS Testing...

Trying to make a DS spec character, minimal bone count, that could be fully animated...

348 Tris w/21 bones:

mamawire.jpg

-Using toon in max, but would have to use nintendo toon shading tools.

mama1.jpg

Anyone have any recommendations on Edge marking/tooning on DS, especially being able to control edge thickness?

The edge marking hardware in the DS can't control thickness. It's always one pixel. I don't know anything about the toon shading though.
  • kream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kream polycounter lvl 13
    RickA wrote: »
    The edge marking hardware in the DS can't control thickness. It's always one pixel. I don't know anything about the toon shading though.

Yeah, thats what we've heard... we've been trying to find a work around for controlling thickness via 3D edges... but it gets expensive...
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    kream: that cooking mama looks really cool, awesome job!

Toshiba-3: I love the plane, it looks really accurate and really cool, great stuff.

renderhjs: Stellar stuff as usual, your work always inspires.

I started on an alien homind crasher to go with my other guys, he is WIP and I still gotta do his lance and shield and pose and tweaks :P. Hope you like him.

alien_anim.gif
  • RickA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RickA polycounter lvl 18
    kream wrote: »
    Yeah, thats what we've heard... we've been trying to find a work around for controlling thickness via 3D edges... but it gets expensive...

That being said, do you really need more than one pixel borders? In the image you posted you might, but that's about 4 or 5 times the size it would be on the DS. I imagine a single pixel might be wide enough?
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    haha Eclipse
    that's wicked. there'd probably be a better way to get the mouth to read, though.
  • kream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kream polycounter lvl 13
    RickA wrote: »
    That being said, do you really need more than one pixel borders? In the image you posted you might, but that's about 4 or 5 times the size it would be on the DS. I imagine a single pixel might be wide enough?

1 pixel has been working,. These are more just tests to see what can and cant be done. Some things we were trying to see how well certain items popped and what not, seeing what we can do as far as different tooning styles.

@ Eclipse: Alien is sooo doope!
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    thats awesome renderhjs
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    I think i'll throw this in for good measure.
    Very WIP, will probably never get finished.
    thatswhysoserious.jpg
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Was without internets for a couple of days, so i thought i'd finally teach myself rigging and animating. And i've always wanted to do a DS rez character, so here we go.

271 polies including the gun. The texture in the screenshot is 128x128, but i've done some testing, and with a little tweak i could scale it down to 64x64 pixels and it would read exactly the same at DS rez.

zoe_presentation.jpg
    zoewirescopy.jpg

Never animated anything before, so i'm just halfassing my way through it, but her run cycle is starting to take shape. The gif is weird, it works fine in firefox, but not IE, and there's a slight snap since the gif doesn't loop properly.

zoeruncycleback.gif
    zoeruncyclefront.gif

//edit: btw, in the texture flats above it looks like there's some wasted space, but thats where i put the weapon (hadn't made the weapon yet at that point, so i saved some space.) Now its packed tight, no wastage!
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    zenarion wrote: »
    I think i'll throw this in for good measure.
    Very WIP, will probably never get finished.
    thatswhysoserious.jpg
    Dude, you gotta finish him off. Add the same amount of detail to the rest of the body and add his cape and your done. Looks great so far!
  • Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash, looks like a low-poly version of Joanna Dark.;) Very nice. Though I can't help getting the feeling the texture could use some more work.
  • sqwarlock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sqwarlock polycounter lvl 10
    Well, time to make my first post on Polycount. Low poly guns for a Quake 2/3 era engine. Details are in the images.

I apologize for the length of the post, but I wanted each gun to have it's own image.

assault_rifle.jpgpistol.jpg
    rocket_launcher.jpgshotgun.jpg
    sniper_rifle.jpg
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    hey,

Nice works going on here , very cool stuff.

Did another character for my dark team of dungeon crawlers, this one is a werewolf rogue. he is 499 tris and a 128x128 texture. and a shot of the current team..:)
    wererogue1.jpg
    wererogue2.jpg
    darkteam.jpg

thanks
  • Tennis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tennis polycounter lvl 16
    Slash:
    wow she's awesome.
    you should render her without the texture filtering and AA though, since the DS doesn't support that.
    very nice work.

mrawolf :
    very cool, the dude with the axe is my favorite.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    totally sweet alphawolf!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    renderhjs wrote: »
    played along with my engine a little bit further

- should be running smoother with a bigger level (level size doesn´t really matter that much)
    - object tile mechanics to clip faster and efficient objects
    - some new objects in the level

oh and btw. the whole engine + external texture + 24 external 3d files = just 70.1 KB (the biggest chunk is actually the xml holding the layout)

Man, you're making my efforts at 3D in flash look bad. That is fantastic! It's running smooth as silk in my browser. I especially like the viewport culling, and the fact that it can be rotated and moved at the same time, without the performance taking a hit at all. The file size is also impressive. I assume you are using gifs and pngs to keep the texture size tiny? It looked like you were probably pulling all of that off without any alpha masking, so gifs would have probably been sufficient.

Are you using a particular API for this project? And what 3D format are you loading the models as right now? Forgive me for my numerous questions, but playing around with this sort of thing is one of my foremost hobbies at the moment.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    mrawolf wrote: »
    hey,

Nice works going on here , very cool stuff.

Did another character for my dark team of dungeon crawlers, this one is a werewolf rogue. he is 499 tris and a 128x128 texture. and a shot of the current team..:)

thanks

Bad ass. This new one reads the best, but they're all cool. : )
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    nice stuff mrawolf

lil crits: your textures are lacking of big shadows and brightness gradients. The effect is, that the models look flat and unnatural bright..
    and 2nd your uv layout is still a bit wastefull

keep going.. nice stuff as i said :)
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    hey Thanks guys, glad your liking them..:)
    and thanks steady.

Rollin
    yes the shadows, i'll look into them, I actually have versions of these that are vert coloured to create the shadows, or at least more shading. i'll post some later.

GDC this week tho.:)

Slash, very cool model and nice set up for animations.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • Jcb33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse wrote: »
    Steady: That looks really cool, I agree you should try and push the lighting on it a bit more.

PencilNinja: That looks awesome, great work. Really nice update to the original, great work!

chrizz1: I have never played Halo, so I don't know the reference, but it looks pretty solid. If you are going for DS specs it might be a little high, especially around the grip where the user will never really see. The DS can show a max of 2048 triangles on screen at once, so keep that in mind when dividing stuff up :).

J533: Thanks a lot! I did some weapons indeed! I might do more if I have the time and what not. I want to add some blood to them as well :P and maybe do some more of the funny/cooler weapons instead of the basic ones.

BrodyB: Thanks? I liked yours man, but I just had it in my heart to do these guys because I fell in love with the game, sorry, I didn't mean to kinda steal your spotlight.

Flaagan: I n their big portraits, yes. But it was just a quick palette change to see how they looked. I might go in and change them up and what not later, but yeah, i kept them the same for now. I think they are like that in the game, but I didn't check I just have too much fun playing it! :P.

Anyway here is the updates on them. I based the first render off of this old screenshot on the website (http://www.castlecrashers.com/images/thumbnailed/cc_screencap24.jpg) . I want to photoshop in the magic, but I don't know if I will have the time, if I do, I will post it up here. The others are to show off the weapons and poses. Again the crashers are 248, the mace is 176, the sword is 29, and the axe is 66. For the outlines I just duplicated the mesh and used push. I hope you like them, C&C are welcome!

all_crashers.jpg
    red_crasher.pngorange_crasher.gifred_anim.gif

Hey, these look realy good, just wondering if there is any chance of having a look at the mesh? Trying to recreate the models myself but still quite new to it, especialy low poly and am unable to make the whole thing for anywhere near the poly count you have!
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Racer, that rifle is ace. Good to see folks like you keeping Ghost Recon alive and well.
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    here is the vert lit versions of the team, think i'll do a little enviro for them next, to crawl thru.

darkteam-verts.jpg

nice gun Racer, and texture...but your 428 polys over the limit.:)
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    close enough :poly124:
  • HB_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HB_
    here`s al u need 2 make a cake:

makecake1bf0.jpg

makecake2si7.jpg

makecakewirevt9.jpg

The coffee-maschine is required to keep me up doing the textures.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Slash wrote: »

zoe_presentation.jpg

Very nice!! Me likes plenty. I think I'll follow your example and learn some animation the same way. Looks fun.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    mrawolf wrote: »
    nice gun Racer, and texture...but your 428 polys over the limit.:)

It´s not really a limit...More of a guideline. :]
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sigh...... low poly head but no inspiration :(
    1-6.jpg

I might turn it into a full llowpoly character

I was kinda thinking a low poly inquisitor (psp spec)
    http://demonwinner.free.fr/usa/2003Chicago/us03chi_40klarge_1.jpg

or a fantasy warhammer wizard (psp spec)
    http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/images/armiesofWAR/empire/BrightWizard01_01.jpg

I think i like the wizard better, but how would I go about creating his hair? alphas or solid modeling?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 wrote: »
    2lc2r8z.jpg

It may only be a guideline, but there's a figure posted in the beginning of this thread, in red. It goes a bit like
    >try to keep your posted models low poly please (under 500 triangles would be considered low poly)

Nearly double that amount for a gun is not exactly what we're shooting for in this thread. If your model stands out from everything else on the page in terms of tri-count, chances are you're not in the right spot.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any lower and the model would end up looking a bit crap and inaccurate tbh, tho i could probably go lower.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Racer445 wrote: »
    Any lower and the model would end up looking a bit crap and inaccurate tbh, tho i could probably go lower.

I think the point was to post it in waywo, or its' own thread. The spirit of this one is superlowpoly stuff.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Some brilliant stuff being made, kinda making me drool ;)

Most interested on getting my grubby hands on MrAWolf/Eclipses amazing work! ;D

I cant model to save my life but im in the process of suuping up on my rigging/animation and they are such lovely pieces, but that offer goes out to anyone here really ;)

Anyways brilliant stuff by everyone!
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    Heya

ok another member to the team the dark archer, it's a male gorgon, there was only really one of them, his name was Nanas and was Zeus guardian. but thought it might make a fun archer/ranger class. he is at 497 tris and uses 1 32x32 for the snakes and a 128x128 for the rest i guess i could prolly get the snake on the same page.And I did another team shot, and vert lit it.

gorgman1.jpg
    gorgman2.jpg
    darkteam2.jpg

what class next..?

thanks
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    I think the point was to post it in waywo, or its' own thread. The spirit of this one is superlowpoly stuff.

you mean like this?

esrn20.jpg
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    much better racer..:) nice aswell, some strange ngons tho.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boltpistol1.jpg

quick doodle, something may come of it

warhammer 40k, bolter pistol- obvoiusly