Author : tsmith3d

Old (#1)
thought occured to me... who exactly is in charge of hiring at most game companies (of various sizes)? You would assume most of the people that would know whether an applicant had skill are people who are already busy working on a project... and I question as to whether game companies who are serious about who they employ would hire either just a P.R. person or some generic outside company to sift through the applications... How's it handled where you work?
Live to drive!
Get snailed! : Green with Envy : Mog Rod
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,176 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Cupertino, CA  

Old (#2)
I think its called human resources, I was just talking to an HR person fomr EA yesterday. I imagine smaller places use normal staff to interview, but bigger companies have a whole department dedicated to hiring folk.
www.redprodukt.com
Rich Make Game! twitter: @RichMakeGame
"You can't edit nothing"
Offline , Counter of Polys™, 6,475 Posts, Join Date Dec 2004, Location Newcastle, uk  

Old (#3)
In most cases, an HR person will pass along an applicant's resume/portfolio to the appropriate people on the team. They then give the green light to the HR contact to bring the applicant in for an interview.

Human Resources handles pretty much all the paper work invovled with applicants/new hires. Team members ultimately have the say. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the correct team members are making the call.
Offline , polycounter, 833 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004,  

Old (#4)
not many people know this, but .. i'm actually in charge. i'd be willing to fit you into my industry at the right price. you live nearby don't you? bring some romantic music and some scented candles, oh and your portfolio i guess. wear something sexy.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
draw without greed
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,993 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location california Send a message via ICQ to killingpeople Send a message via AIM to killingpeople Send a message via MSN to killingpeople Send a message via Yahoo to killingpeople Send a message via Skype™ to killingpeople  

Old (#5)
Most of the time the actual permission to extend an offer comes from the CFO (chief financial officer) and lacking one of those, the president. The funds have to be available.

So HR has to be looking, the AD has to like you, the CFO has to say there's money available, and then you can get a job. It's a group thing. Like an orgy.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,616 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Reykjavik, Iceland Send a message via ICQ to poopinmymouth Send a message via AIM to poopinmymouth Send a message via MSN to poopinmymouth Send a message via Yahoo to poopinmymouth Send a message via Skype™ to poopinmymouth  

Old (#6)
And who doesnt like an orgy? So it has to be a good thing.
Brandon Nobbs, World Artist
My Portfolio
OreZom Trails
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,273 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Kirkland WA Send a message via AIM to Thegodzero Send a message via Yahoo to Thegodzero  

Old (#7)
... and high heels, I like high heels.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,642 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Irvine CA  

Old (#8)
At Ubi the decisions seem to be made between the respective lead, the AD and the producer/assoc. producer and HR.
Offline , triangle, 320 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Montreal, Canada  

Old (#9)
HR bring in the reels, we gather round at lunchtime and check them out. Often for a few laughs. We tell HR which ones show promise, they bring them in. A bunch of people interview the candidate from fellow artists to producers to the AD. We have a 'wrap up' meeting at the end of the day to discuss the candidate. In *most* cases a consensus is reached diplomatically as to wether or not the candidate is hired. That's how it works where I am.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,572 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location SF Bay area  

Old (#10)
HR has the final say to hire and fire at 3 places I have worked, the bigger the studio/corp the more frequently I have seen this.

HR doesn't have a foot in production so they base their descion off your leads and those that you interact with.

This what I have seen anyways.

-R
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Ross "PaK-RaT" Patel
Airtight Games :: Sr. Technical Artist
Offline , polycounter, 955 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location WA, USA Send a message via ICQ to PaK Send a message via AIM to PaK Send a message via MSN to PaK Send a message via Yahoo to PaK