Re: Anyone using 3ds max Xrefs to build levels?
on 01-20-2005 04:57 PM
We used Xrefs on Daredevil. It might have been a problem with the older versions of max (we used 4.5/5 on Daredevil), but we ran into some issues with Xrefs. There seemed to be a lot of problems with the objects updating correctly, when you edit the external source file. We constantly found ourselves having to re-xref the objects again.
Now, I'm simply merging stuff in, and instancing from there.
I never messed around with Proxy objects though, so that's a grey area for me.
As far as file sizes getting huge, there is a trick I learned that helps size it down pretty damn well. If you notice your scene file is sitting at 26MB or something crazy, do the following to cut it down in size (in order):
open file > Xref Objects
- Close the window
open file > Xref Scene
- Close the Window
In the listener window in the bottom of 3dsmax, type "gc()" minus the quotes, then hit enter. Resave the file.
On average, I saw a huge file size drop. One scene in particular dropped from 25.5MB, down to 4.6MB.
This apparently has something to do with the way max handles merged/xrefed materials and objs. The "gc()" command is simply a legacy MS command for "garbage cleanup".
Hopefully this helps ya a bit.