Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

life drawing thread

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
This years class just kicked off, hence are some pics.

nu01.jpg

nu03.jpg

Feel free to post yours!

Replies

• Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Second pic: Her face looks excessively masculine?
    (or am I blind?)

Pretty nice either way... wink.gif
    Oh, and... nude? O_O
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I agree about the face being little too masculine (tho with more feminine hair she would look more like a female)
    Also on the 1st pic her back is kinda "broken"

But they have that nice made by Pior look to them laugh.gif
    /me is fanboy
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    The pics simply reek with your style pior, but as stated previously,
    the 2nd pic totally freaked me out as I thought I was looking at a man with a boob job done.

maybe this is on purpose? ;o
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    so nice pior my frenchman buddy, I like the way you shade. I think though, that by using parralel lines, you are hurting the volume you could be creating by making them follow the contour of teh body. One of the biggest areas i see this is on the second picture, the shading on her ribcage, it really flattens it out, when you could be giving it a bit more roundness with curved lines. anywho they all look swank!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes, Tom and Bladder, yeah she was kindof masculine looking. The short hair combined with the strong facial features made her looking like a girlish man on some of the other student drawings too. But it's also true that I have been having a tendency to masculinize female headshapes recently... which sure doesn't help. smile.gif The girl was sexy tho smile.gif

Toom & Per, the back was sure relly weird on this pose... The timespan of this quick pose didn't help here either smile.gif

It's funny tho, because this teacher we are having tends to go a different way than many others. While you could think that art teachers tend to make everybody in one class draw the same way, this one insists very very much on style expression and personality conveyed by drawing even in this evening class that both beginners and advanced ppl are attending. I found this to be a really interesting approach but it's true that sometimes this can leads to some things slipping away... I guess that his take is to let the students that feel confident enough to correct their mistakes by themselfes... Maybe I simply did not see this one smile.gif

Poop, that's so true now that I look at this. I guess I should have crisscrossed this part instead of putting parallels lines on the shadowed area, or even better and as you suggest it, I should have followed the body curves... Great point! Actually I think I'll try to go this way next time :

http://www.pioroberson.com/images/sketch_aquaboy.jpg

Sometimes it's hard to think about all these things while in the life class... Better luck next time!

Post yours everyone!
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome shading on the aquaboy sketch. Any plans to color it some cool way?
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    Pior, yea, she does have that kinda "Arnold" look (Sorry Guys but she does! ) about her. But for a Quick sketch it was done quite well on the back I think the area in the far right side the angle is just I dunno "off" in a way, but thats the only thing I saw that could have been corrected.
    Was this off Pad? Or "Wacom"?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this weeks model was so bony... But great to work with nonetheless :]

2004-10-28-02.jpg

2004-10-28-04.jpg

2004-10-28-05.jpg

2004-10-28-06.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DAG on it pior! that last one has the best facial expression. I like the new contour shadding much better. good job my frenchbuddy!!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff pior. I had life drawing class but we were working at A2 size, and I don't have a scanner. My digital camera has no batteries in at the moment smile.gif
    Your line work is very fluid and confident. I love the style, as usual!

MoP
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more!

nu_2004-11-04-01.jpg nu_2004-11-04-02.jpg nu_2004-11-18-01.jpg nu_2004-11-18-02.jpg nu_2004-11-18-03.jpg nu_2004-11-25-01.jpg nu_2004-11-25-02.jpg nu_2004-11-25-03.jpg nu_2004-12-02-01.jpg nu_2004-12-02-02.jpg nu_2004-12-02-03.jpg nu_2004-12-02-04.jpg nu_2004-12-02-05.jpg nu_2004-12-02-06.jpg

I was awfully late with my scans... And yeah thumbnails are cool!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    great ones pior, as usual smile.gif
  • Arco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    lovely man. very distinct shading, i think they are just great. You obviously have a way with simple shapes and shading but still give a wonderfull impresion of a whole thing. great.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice Pior. Dang. Poop said it. But that no. 3 in your second batch there is just stunning. I want to marry her but Id settle for hanging her on my wall.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    AH pior, those are great. I need to go back to some night figure classes :\
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    How long, time, are those sketches though?

I'm taking a fast sketch figure class and some people can do that kind of quality in 5 minutes.

http://www.wattsatelier.com/home.html
    This school is making me feel inadequate....so I have to take more classes.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice work, the second lot are really nice.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go Go frenchfry power! Looking great Pior. I love the super dark shading. I think it could be a bit more powerful if you introduced a light grey and used it to draw attention to the parts that you leave in straight b&w like you have now.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Merci Vahl, tu es presque toujours celui qui les voit en premier par msn smile.gif

Arco, yeah I try to go simple, but it's sometimes annoying. I need to practice shading/rendering...

Yus Daz I like this one too smile.gif Except that the girl portrayed there is VERY bony... She came by during the break and asked me if she really has as many bones than in my sketches :/ And then she also asked me to give her bigger boobs on the next sketches. Funny conversation for sure laugh.gif

Adam, do it! It such a pleasure...

Nose, these are around 10 to 15 minutes poses on these. I'm not much of an extra fast drawer when it comes to life drawing :/ No wonder why these guys at the atelier can make better figures in less time, the gallery on the atelier website is short yet very impressive !! I also need to take more classes smile.gif

Thanks Therm, and Poop, yeah i thing you are right. I still have to practice my shading, atm I have a tendency to fall into pure black a bit too fast. So yeah your idea sounds good... Will try that later wink.gif

Below are a few from last thursday night. The teacher suprized everyone in the class when he made clear that we'll work on -5mins poses only this day. It was rather new since we don't even do superquick sketching/warming up usually. 2 hours like that, and the model almost fainted smile.gif

Hence nothing rendered below, but I'm very happy with this session tho. I liked the fragile/eerie look of everyones drawing this day.

nu_2004-12-09-01.jpg

nu_2004-12-09-02.jpg

nu_2004-12-09-03.jpg

nu_2004-12-09-04.jpg

nu_2004-12-09-05.jpg

nu_2004-12-09-06.jpg

No class next week unfortunately... I guess I need to find some naked girl somewhere else smile.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    they are always about smile.gif

third one down has a nice construction , and the last i love the back neat and tidy work.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    hey, aren't you the guy that made the Glumph? i came in here because i think i remember you.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    sweet stuff pior!
    as always.. wink.gif

ye i bet u could so a little more for 10-15 min poses. i think perhaps u may wonna try get looser with ur lines and shading. perfectionism often consumes most of the pose time if u let it take over..

ill add some stuff to this thread,
    unfortunately i dont have any short pose gesture stuff scanned at the moment. maybe later?

sorry for the cheap quality :~

dec8_skpad1.jpg

nov13_abby1.jpg

nov13_abby2.jpg

nov24_benjamin.jpg

nov24_jacky.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor, I really enjoy these too. For some reason I like them more than my older/longer ones. Speedsketching is cool!

Jimmies, yus it'm me smile.gif I'm glad you enjoyed the model!

Shotgun, you're so right smile.gif I *do* need to get looser with all this, I tend to shade to hard end often end up with a little dark mess. I definately need more practice.

And man your studies are great... How long did it take to produce the first one? And this second one, whoa, it could be great as a rock/pop CD cover... It's my fav so far.

Don't hesitate and post some more!

I missed last weeks class because of a school trip... And it's winter break now... Can't wait!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    omg pior, would you plz stop amaze me laugh.gif Awesome stuff as usual smile.gif I really dig the last man pose.

Superbe wink.gif
  • Eli_Heuer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eli_Heuer polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work Pior, your drawings have really improved since the start of this thread.

shotgun - I really enjoy your drawings too, particularly the head studies.

Here is my humble addition to this thread, my most recent life drawings

Oil painting from life, 3 hours
    oilpainting122004.jpg
    tombo marker, 5 min
    dj4.jpg
    charcoal, 2 min
    dj5.jpg
    some older gesture drawings from October.
    october04_gestures.jpg
  • Mastasurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mastasurf polycounter lvl 18
    Pior, this isn't your first time in life drawing, is it? I really like how your playing with line quality, especially your second batch. I hope you plan to keep us updated. Kick ass cont
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Eli I'm glad to see you posting here! I'm sure Poop posed for you at MBW, so don't feel shy and all, post these too!

Masta, you could use the computer 'opportunity' to try your hand at full color sketches maybe... Man I'd really like to have a laptop to be able to Opencanvas during the class wink.gif

Some more below. I've been changing tools for tonight's class it turned out to be a bit different... I don't know yet.

First batch is for the ladies!

nu_2005-01-07-01.jpg nu_2005-01-07-02.jpg nu_2005-01-07-04.jpg nu_2005-01-14-01.jpg nu_2005-01-14-02.jpg nu_2005-01-14-03.jpg nu_2005-01-14-04.jpg nu_2005-01-14-05.jpg nu_2005-01-14-06.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    HAHAHA pior ... poop poses for everyone wink.gif

Here are a couple I did during the MBW:

5 mins, marker only:
    jan13-1.jpg

15-20 mins, marker and ink:
    jan13-2.jpg

3 mins, pen:
    jan13-6.jpg

Cool stuff here pior... nice thread! smile.gif

MoP
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LifeDraw.gif
    Still figuring out how to take digital photos

This is an example of what I was crank'n out in my QuickSketch Life Drawing class. These are 3 to 5 minute poses. The teacher wants me to emphasize more rendering and shading.......and I've seen the teacher do it, so it's possible.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo woo Moppy I dig the lightness of the last one.. And the Tria+ink combo works well on the nude too. Funky hairdo she has! I think I saw this girl on an oil painting done at the mbw too.

Noserider, each time you post its the perfect ad for the Wattsatelier... You really make me want to be in a place like that. And hummmm a teacher that actually draws during the class sounds like the gem smile.gif

All in one I love these. Can you tell a bit more about the technique? Especially the tool you use to shade. I've been trying to find something that'd allow broad and smooth crosshatching like on your bottom-right bunch. Or maybe I'm just not doing it properly... I don't know. I've been trying the 'pierre noire' thing recently, and its getting closer, but some insights would be appreciated anyways wink.gif

And btw, are you taking the class full time? Or is that like an evening class you are taking as an extra? Just curious wink.gif
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.wattsatelier.com/home.html

These guys are using charcoal [pencils],not charcoal sticks....pencils with charcoal.

However, Watts Atelier emphasizes holding your charcoal pencil differently then when you hold a regular pencil to write with, so there's still a technique involved.

[ QUOTE ]
    Holding the Drawing Tool - The way the tool is held is very important in drawing. It is usually better to hold it very loosely in the fingers - in the usual way, but with the thumb and first two fingers 2 or more inches above the point. Even better is to have the thumb and first two fingers in a more straightened out position, palm facing down. With a piece of charcoal or pastel, a good way is to hold the tool between the thumb and all of the fingers, palm down. These last two positions make it easier to use cross-hatching, which is a good way to do shading of lights and darks (chiaroscuro). Although it is OK to draw with the hand in some cases, it is usually better to draw not just with the hand, but with the arm itself. Especially when one is standing to draw at an easel, this lends itself to a looser way of working. Also, one is then able to see the drawing from more of a distance away, which is good for checking proportions, and progress in general.

[/ QUOTE ]
    http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Arts/drawings/DrawingMaterials/Mechanics/mechanics.htm
    This is the best it can be described without making photo reference.

They emphasize Conte Charcoal Pencils:
    c728.jpg
    [Edit]Doh![/Edit]

This is an example of the teachers QuickSketch Work, and I've seen better:
    erik_gist_qs_W05_web.jpg

Right now I'm taking 4 classes and a Maya 3D Software Class at a different school.
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    life1.jpglife2.jpg

This was done at a 3 hour uninstructed workshop class.....and I still don't know how to render with charcoal pencil, according to my instructors. So that gives you an idea of what kind of talent I go up against.
  • Makaveli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makaveli polycounter lvl 18
    Random pap:-

faceache.JPG

faceagain.JPG

framed.JPG

ghey.JPG

guess2.JPG

j.JPG

meh.JPG

shoulder_study.JPG

armface.JPG

nekkid.JPG

and so on.

Will never stop loving your work pior :P
    Do you construct your drawings? I can never see any evidence of it in your work, either that or you do it very faintly smile.gif If you dont, you should try it, makes everything far simpler.

Although listening to me may not work since ive never had a class in my life, my degree does not let me have the time frown.gif I wish i could go to something similar to where you guys do!
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    nose rider. very interesting actually i was thinkin about tryin charcoal as i remember it a teacher of mine used it.
    thanks for the tips...
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charcoal penciles give me the hibbi gibbiz!

its like putting ur front teeth into a popstickal
    or slowly tearing a piece of paper
    or scratching ur nails on
    well u know
    dont like it
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Mak, smooth stuff you have here. That looks like some good practice!

About construction lines and all, well I guess it depends. When drawing from photos and/or while concept sketching I think its the way to go... But when it comes to life drawing my instructor tends to emphasize on what you feel about the model, his/her personality and so on...

I used very 'hard' lines some weeks ago (for both construction and rendering) and he told me that the drawing was looking like some heavy stone statue, that it was hard to 'enter' the drawing because of this. Wooo that was so true... I'm trying to use light, uncertain lines for construction and I like this better.

I'm having a hard time with rendering tho... Charcoal pencils are cool but I don't master them at all, everything tends to turn pitch black. I'm happy with the first one but the others went out of hand. Any advice NoseRider? This girl you did is great btw... Really nice.

nu_2005_01_25_01.jpgnu_2005_01_27_02.jpgnu_2005_01_27_03.jpgnu_2005_01_27_04.jpg

Laterz
  • -DN-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -DN- polycounter lvl 18
    pior- I am not sure if you are sticking to charcoal pencils only but I tend to like pencils and blocks of charcoal for just what u mentioned. I grind up a little amount off a block into a power and then get dirty with my fingers and eraser. Tends to let me control depth and contrast more gradualy. I am sure you feel the same way but every finger used to apply chacoal is like a diffrent grade pencil, altho I do like to use my thumb,index, and pinky the most. Give a try sometime, and have fun.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    These new ones are excellent Pior - the first one is my favourite, very well done. The lines are very nice, and a there's good sense of weight to the model.

Makaveli: Nice pencil work!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice use of value Pior, You really get the full range out of those.

Makaveli, lots of nice work there. I would recomend getting an ebony, or 8b pencil to really add some darks in there.

Noserider, looking good, but I would say the biggest thing I notice, is that you aren't really popping the forms. Try to get more value range, and use some of the lines to contour your volumes.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jan27_skpad6.jpg

this model seriously cant sit still for more than 1 minute,
    so its mostly made up and finished from my head
    jan27_skpad4.jpg

jan27_skpad3.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm Shotgun I like this bearded guy that pop up once in a while in your studies... Looks like a good model to work from.

More :

nu_2005-feb-03_01.jpg nu_2005-feb-03_02.jpg nu_2005-feb-03_03.jpg nu_2005-feb-03_04.jpg nu_2005-feb-03_05.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ye i like him a lot!
    he is one of the better models we have here, very still, cool shave..

good stuff pior, very smoothy very piorish
    i think they would work a lot better if u just pushed the values on some areas
    like just put ur darkest darks in and make things "lock" u know what i mean.. cuz its all there the figuer and pose etc, just matter of putting it in and it could easily make things look a lot better
  • Eli_Heuer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eli_Heuer polycounter lvl 18
    Great work as always Shotgun and Pior

Another 3-hour oil painting from me.

20105.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im not sure what it is eli, but she has a lot of you in her
    the way she looks
    the pink hue on the cheeks maybe? smile.gif

from my non existing experience in oil paintings (im just starting acrilycs now) id say that i think u should have put more effort into the background, even just values and colors to pop the girl out
    also, compoistion wise its not exactly bust its not exactly lower bust with hands its kinda in the middle.. say if u chopped her off below neck i believe itd be a stronger piece
    the vest is pretty rough compared to the face, and the left shoulder is not really there to support it so it looks kinda off
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nu_2005-feb-26_01.jpgnu_2005-feb-26_02.jpgnu_2005-feb-26_03.jpgnu_2005-feb-26_04.jpgnu_2005-feb-26_05.jpg

nu_2005-mar-03_01.jpgnu_2005-mar-03_02.jpgnu_2005-mar-03_03.jpgnu_2005-mar-03_04.jpgnu_2005-mar-03_05.jpg

the first batch is very rigid, I don't like them :/ I forced myself to use gesture drawings as a base for most of the sketches during yesterdays class and it was sooo much easier smile.gif

Eli, its nice to see you are experimenting with oils. What color do you use? I mean, do you mix them tourself or are you using some starter kit with flesh colors ready? I don't know what to buy/where to start with oils...
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    girlsit.gifgirlsit2.gif
    pirate.gif

Come on, you guys can't let this thread die!

Life drawing class where teacher allowed us to draw with any medium we wanted.....this case digital.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    life2.jpg

just some stuff i am including in my 6th term portfolio review for school...
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah well
    what the heck
    a hands study from today
    mar15_skpad1.jpg
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guysit.gif
    Qualifies as life drawing....it's from life.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wooo I love the 'graphic' qualities of these Nose. What are you bringing with you for the classes actually? Laptop + tablet, or some kind of PDA or PocketPC?

If possible, you might want to try your hands at opencanvas1, I feel like it would work like a charm in such an environnement.

More to come!