Home Contests & Challenges Archives Killing Floor 2 - Guns 'n Gear - CONTEST HAS ENDED

[KF2] - Skin - Red sun

Workshop link

It took a while to get my polycount account activated so I'll try to summarize my progress.

I worked on this skin between the 8th and the 11th. I used Substance Painter, my measly drawing skills and a lack of creativity.

I chose to make a katana skin after looking around on the polycount forums and noticing that almost nobody else was making one. I decided to use the KF2 UI color scheme (RED/BLACK) with a bit of white on the side to keep the skin from becoming too simple and to have a nice contrast.

My idea was to make the guard red (hence the name Red Sun) and then make everything else around that.

So I quickly ended up with this
90120bfec7.jpg

Naturally, making such a simple skin would be make this katana a bit dull (heh)
So I gave the blade some color too.

fa78809f20.jpg

A bit too chaotic for my taste. So I went ahead and made a few stencils to arbitrarily put dragon related patterns on the blade. A full-sized dragon wouldn't work due to the size of the blade and the player would only be able to see part of it during gameplay.

I used references such as these:

dragon_stencil_3_48x64.jpg
dragon_stencil_by_eveoneverything.png

And ended up with this:

8525c1a20d.png

I then applied it to the katana and added some white to the edges of the guard and ended up with this:

4669178659.jpg

Then I tried messing with the ornaments

5e46932141.jpg

But it turned out you can only change the outlines so after cleaning up the guard and making the collar black I dyed them red and ended up with this

98f954f708.jpg

Not too shabby.

With the general design out of the way I made the guard and the collar look better by applying spots of darker and brighter colors so it looked like actual paint on metal. I also ended up moving the pattern down a bit so there was no white break between the start of the blade and the 1st pattern stroke.

B0D4E5C1FA935CAF254D7DD148EC7303318CB897

C1F1199B2CC53B355D6B8F5F8E36378596F6C7BF

Voil