Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lost Adventurer

Aleks Kirilenko
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Aleks Kirilenko polycounter lvl 2
Hey everybody!

Here's my latest real time character. It is heavily inspired by all the awesome people at Naughty Dog and Uncharted 4 E3 trailer. She stands at 80k tris, all the accessories included. Substance Designer was used quite a bit, starting as a test, but eventually turning into something I'll be using every time from now on.
The gun was created mostly using Dynamesh in ZBrush. Never used it for something like it, usually I would just model a weapon in 3ds MAX, but it worked out quite alright and the whole thing took me only three days, including texturing.
All the textures are done in Mari with a pinch of Photoshop on top.

aleks-kirilenko-render-full-big.jpg?1443931073
aleks-kirilenko-head-closeup-02.jpg?1443931151
aleks-kirilenko-render-keyshot.jpg?1443931136
aleks-kirilenko-full.jpg?1443931145
aleks-kirilenko-materials-examples.jpg?1443931227
aleks-kirilenko-materials.jpg?1443931229
aleks-kirilenko-pistol.jpg?1443931231
aleks-kirilenko-pistol.jpg?1443931232
aleks-kirilenko-hair.jpg?1443931234

Hope you like it!

Replies

• Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Beautiful work!

I love that the turnable tells a story and the sweat on her face looks great!
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    dang......that is really impressive!
    The whole piece is so awesome and gritty!
    but I would say her wound is to clean, judging by the pose she is in i would expect her to be more banged and bloodied up and her wound to look a bit more nasty and bloodier
    but those are my only crits bc this does look awesome!
  • killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Really, really impressive sculpting.

I think the eyes are a tad too large and the face sweat is a bit too extreme for the close-up. The shader needs self-shading to prevent highlights in the nostrils and molar area inside the mouth from lighting with the same intensity as the nose tip.

The body is just incredible. Very nice work.
  • Aleks Kirilenko
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

@Cglewis: You're probably right about the wound. Will keep that in mind next time I make something similar. Thanks!

@killnpc: I didn't even notice that glow in the nostrils until you pointed it out. Was looking at her for way too long. I'm pretty sure it's the secondary reflection in Marmoset that is causing it. The proper shader is done in Maya, to implement detail maps like stitching, fabric patterns and all that fancy stuff. Don't remember seeing this glow there, but I'll definitely take a look now. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    awesome work!

can you please explain more how you implemented substance designer with mari for the texturing process?
    did you create tileable materials in SD to use in mari? or just for normal maps? would love to hear more! :]
  • Aleks Kirilenko
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H: Of course. Basically, I apply substance as a tile layer in Mari. Set it to overlay as the blending mode. What this gives is the ability to paint your texture and have this detail map that you can control (make tile bigger or smaller). It will also give a much better sense of what the final result will look like (if you have a proper shader set up, or if you want to bake everything down in the end). The shader that I used in Maya takes diffuse and normal information from the substance and apply it as a detail map. Here are a couple of shots, one from Mari comparing the difference of having the substance turned on and off, and the final result from Maya (underlying texture resolution is only 1k, but stitches and fabric pattern are still as crisp as they get)

Click for bigger res

Mari:
    shirt_compare.jpg

Maya:
    shader_example.jpg
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Fantastic work, love the folds and the hair. I also love the small details like the bra coming through the top, really great stuff! do you mind elaborating a bit on how you created the hair texture?
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Great, thanks for the explanation Aleks!
  • Aleks Kirilenko
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d: The hair was painted in MARI. I tried a lot of different techniques for this model (including rendering fiber mesh in ZBRush), but hand painting the hair turned out to be the best one.
    There are five different hair planes/unique textures on the model. The key in texturing was breaking the hair in different layers: one clump of hair - layer 1, another clump - layer 2 and so on. Each piece had three to five layers that I then turned into individual groups. This way I could start detailing each hair strand/layer (it's probably getting a bit confusing at this point) without worrying that I'll get the detail on other layers. It works as a mask basically. This allowed me to have control over color (each layer is unique), specular and the intensity of normal map that was generated in Knald.
    In a nut shell: it's a whole lot of hand painting without any shortcuts... :D I did use Lazy Nezumi, though. If you haven't heard about it, it's pretty much lazy mouse from ZBrush that works for any program. I used that to paint most of the hair in MARI.
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Thank you for your insight Aleks, very handy :smiley: