polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Hijlkema polycounter lvl 5
Current progress
8d02126231.jpg
690b62c17d.jpg
0e5d4e4fd5.jpg

Hey guys,

I've been lurking almost daily for two years now and I've always been fascinated and inspired by all the game art shown here.

I've been doing 3D projects for a few years, but I have never brought anything in a game engine so this is all very new to me; on top of that I made the switch from Cinema 4D to Maya at the start of this project.

Anyway, due to a shift with what I want to do in my carreer I've decided to just go all in and learn a lot there is to know about game art by finishing a portfolio piece in Unreal 4.

I've found this painting which I thought would be a great piece to recreate, and expand upon where possible, including an interior.

1yQU0NE.jpg

Here's my one week's progress so far. Would love to hear feedback and tips on how to push it further. Thanks!

8Onu937.jpg
Oo95PDb.jpg
DdctK29.jpg
WYu59fH.jpg

Branch cards for use in Speedtree.
jNRBBgN.jpg

Fuel pump
i5vDnfS.jpg

Sculpt for floor/wall.
MdBuzvm.jpg

Replies

• dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good. I think the front pillars blue/red are too saturated and un-worn. The blue/red stripes on the building are much less saturated and have some wear and tear.
  • Hijlkema
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dpadam450, fixed it right away.

Today I'm going to add variation to the grass, and also add a tree colour variation.

Here's a new screenshot of the exterior.

5395f501d9.jpg
  • QOR_082
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    QOR_082 polycounter lvl 3
    Looks great! Maybe you should look at some other references in order to provide some detail in the objects. You've got a great inspirational image for the composition, you could try now to look for other pictures to copy the style of ruined painting and stuff...
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I don't know if it's just me.. but I'm getting that Life is Strange / American Northwest Vibe and I love it!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I'm really liking the colors. I would try and play around some with the height of the grass a bit. Maybe add some height variation?

I'd imagine the grass under the roof would be less tall due to not getting as much sunlight exposure and rain. I'm also not sure if there would be that much grass in general under the roofed area.

Maybe try and find some more reference for the grass?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Great stuff, I think this piece has a lot of potential. Right there seems to be some noticeable issue with scale. I'll just list my critique here for ya.

1) Scale - Doors and Windows appear to be really large, i'm looking for a frame of reference and don't really see any but it appears not accurate to the building. Some assets or frame of reference would do good here.

2) Grass - Very heavy handed and the clumps are too high in contrast, not providing a natural and believable growth in the environment. I would suggest adding height variation in areas where there are soil, possibly more wet areas where grass would grow taller such as around the trees, corners of the buildings and in the background.

Grass is heavy all over the place, try to break it up where it would be harder for the grass to generally grow for instance, areas where there is concrete perhaps around the pump, etc.

3) Little patch of leaves on the roof are nice, but doesn't make sense. Since your trees in the back are very lush and full (obviously fall since they're very red and orange) try randomizing the placement of various leaves on the roof towards the back half where its more sporadic and natural. Then have it clump more towards the edges of the roof as the leaves slide down and collect a bit more.

4) Car - You can improve the rust a bit here, since its aged heavily judging by the sun bleach and rust, you should have the rust eat at several vulnerable locations on the vehicle. Especially where water collects, such as edges of the hood, around the wheel well, and where the parts of the car intersect (side mirrors) Try to add more detail for added fidelity here.

5) Fill out the scene a bit - The foliage in the back is a nice touch but would like to see some up towards the midground as well. Fill out the right area (its empty) and perhaps use more trees to fill out midground on the right.

I'm digging the lighting, and overall mood of the piece. Hope my feedback helps, good luck!
  • Hijlkema
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very valuable feedback guys, thanks! :D I'll be sure to process it into the next update.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
  • Hijlkema
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some new progress pictures. I checked the scale to be sure, I used a 180cm male for scale. I also still have to fix the car's rust.

3b4aabd131.jpg

e8c1bdb6ec.jpg

ea8e3c166d.jpg

ae62ecf7cb.jpg

Some images of the props

498b822023.jpg

654c58c54a.jpg

f07c52f25a.jpg

Scale
    uOZQlYU.jpg
  • willehrendreich
    this looks superb. good job.
  • Hijlkema
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I can call it done, now. Here's the latest images.

8d02126231.jpg
    690b62c17d.jpg
    0e5d4e4fd5.jpg
    bded6748d1.jpg
    f4a12c9001.jpg

d1b1ec62b9.jpg
  • BenjaminoFree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenjaminoFree polycounter lvl 4
    Absolutely beautiful
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice work. I love the colours and you've got some great screenshots there :D Would it be possible to see some wireframes and texture flats?
  • Hijlkema
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington wrote: »
    Really nice work. I love the colours and you've got some great screenshots there :D Would it be possible to see some wireframes and texture flats?
    Thanks! Yeah I'll get some breakdown pictures of those in this week!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work, glad to see the results :)