Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chico State Game Studios Modeling Weeklies

SwdPwnzDggr
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
SwdPwnzDggr polycounter lvl 7
Hey all,

I am the Modeling Lead for Chico State Game Studios, a senior level course in the Computer Animation & Game Development (previously Applied Computer Graphics) program at California State University Chico that simulates a real-world studio environment comprised of about 40-50 students a semester spread across 1-2 projects which alternate phases of development each semester/year.

This semester a large majority of the team is new to modeling for games, the previous curriculum focused on modeling had a very large focus on CGI and very little on game asset creation. Though a new modeling course was introduced this semester to add in more game modeling curriculum and future courses are being planned out/developed, the problem still exists that Chico State Game Studios is sometimes a students first taste at modeling for games.

In order to help the modelers I lead this semester I am requiring them to post in this thread as their weeklies. Please feel free to critique and help out as you see fit.

The current project at Chico State Game Studios is titled Quantum Keeper: Patriots of the Past. This is the first time the studio has targeted console/pc as a main platform in a few years, with the previous focus being on mobile platforms. The setting of the game largely centers on the Revolutionary War with the art style being inspired by Dishonored, having a focus on somewhat stylized character facial features but more realistic environments.

A reminder to my team: Weeklies must be posted here by on Sunday at midnight every week.

Replies

• osamano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I simply had to make a one meter tall section of a ladder that can be stacked for desired heights. The textures applied are 128x128 and I am only using an albedo and gloss/metal texture. I do have the bake of the normal map, but it is hardly noticeable at such low resolution, as it is subtle. Another reason behind leaving out the normal map was for optimization, I gave the edges a bevel instead.
    Ladder:
    hImZSKR.png
    Texture:
    jkWFFTw.jpg
    The Substance Designer created texture is set up to adjust the amount of wear the wood has. The ladder is not using a sbsar. file, it is simply using bitmaps; the option is there.

I might have to go back and organize my graph...
  • taylorconn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HI there, I'm Taylor.

The project I was assigned this week was to retopoligize a high poly sculpt and bake out a normal map for it. These were my results:

Low Poly:
    907 Faces/ 1812 Tris
    High Poly:
    8 200 192 Faces/ 16 400 384 Tris

Topology:

W6wHBaI.png

ifwXkKK.png

Low Poly without Normal Map

TWT8NGo.png

obESEQY.png

EdDgP3t.png

Low Poly with Normal Map

GYTHIIL.png

kSV8lcF.png

W9jzDCs.png
  • zakioz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakioz polycounter lvl 3
    Hello,
    For this week, I was assigned to create the ground texture for the game. I created albedo textures from these images in Photoshop as well as the normal map with Bimap2Material in 2k resolution.

tumblr_nulxorZXc41ugtnloo1_540.jpg
    tumblr_nulxorZXc41ugtnloo2_540.jpg
    tumblr_nulxorZXc41ugtnloo3_540.jpg
    tumblr_nulxorZXc41ugtnloo4_540.jpg
    tumblr_nulxorZXc41ugtnloo5_540.jpg
    tumblr_nulxorZXc41ugtnloo6_540.jpg
    tumblr_nulxorZXc41ugtnloo7_540.jpg
    tumblr_nulxorZXc41ugtnloo8_540.jpg
  • Teroniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teroniz vertex
    This post is a bit obsolete now. Decided to restart and try another method, which worked out MUCH better. Fine tuning that and I'll post the results next Sunday.

Hello, I am one of the least experienced of the group with only having been modeling for a little over a half a year now. The programs that I have been mainly using are Maya 2016 [moderate], Substance Painter[beginner] and now Zbrush[beginner].

My task was to create a set of realistic trees from the Philadelphia area. Do note that I've had absolutely no experience modeling a tree before. I looked up tutorial after tutorial for creating trees, and for the most part haven't been overly useful (mostly due to my lack experience/understanding).

Anyhow, I started with an Atlas Cedar. I used Zspheres in Zbrush in order to get the basic shape down.

478794a3fbdb5d6ca791c91834cca91b.png

I might have made it too complex? Not sure.

I then exported it to Maya. The poly count came out pretty high (as expected). So in order to lower the count, I used Maya's mesh reduction tool and semi fine-tuned it. With this, I lowered the count to 1257 faces (2514 tris). I have no clue on what the general poly count for a realistic tree in a game environment should be. The edge flow is off, so I'll be fixing that.

688a647b1a5e2ddc9e5adfbcab357af3.png

dc0e9dd68c789ba11b7cef15405c02dc.png

Here are the UV's I did. I know they aren't the best, however it's what I have at the moment.

b5f3b347dd9fd09b4670377ced60233e.png

And here's what it looks like with the checker pattern

697423bfc65f84e83dff7c4b418cfe2d.png

That's how far I got with the base tree. I haven't went into Substance Painter yet to texture it.

After trying my had at creating a Atlas Cedar needle texture, I ended up changing to a Ginkgo tree (use the same base body). The Ginkgo tree had leaves instead of circular needle patterns. The main leaf I have been using for the leaves is this. I haven't gotten very far with this yet.

The main tutorial I've been following for the leaves is the Ultra-efficient tree texturing and modeling tutorial.
    This is what I have from that tutorial so far. It's not to my liking at the moment.
    72a0e01f7e284649eddc11428a974eb3.png

Another one I want to follow, but not sure if it'll work with this tree, is the Modeling a tree crown tutorial. I've been checking out polycount wiki foliage page as well for other tutorials. One tutorial that seems to be very informative is the Evergreen Needles tutorial.

Thank you for your time!
  • osamano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the environment we will construct the city with modular pieces, currently they are only boxed out for correct size. I had to make fixes to them so they do fit with each other appropriately. Now that they do, I will model a variety of sections, different types of windows, doors, etc. as well as make their textures in Substance Designer.

Base Modular pieces:
    KYR6whn.jpg
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    I critique art because I enjoy it, I look at art for inspiration and to learn, and I create art because I love it. I'm a game programmer, I don't make money at all off of art.

Being that I am not paid for anything, and you are paid to lecture and help, I just don't really understand this at all. Are you not able to critique your own students?

The other website I frequent is gamdev.net, for programming related to games. On there anything that sounds like homework, they have a policy that they will not do programming homework for people. This thread is a step further and sounds like "do my job". If all you know is high poly CGI and not game stuff, I feel you should have prepared and stuck around here, observe ask questions to apply that to your students. From the website though, it looks like the college has been making games for years.

Critiquing this thread to me just feels like a job. If individuals wanted help, and ask for it vs a collective group. I feel like that is a class and a job of the class. I already see about 7 questions, are you going to post reply's to this thread. Are these questions just going to be asked tomorrow in class that it is a waste of time for anyone to post here? "I'm forcing my students to post here...in turn I'm forcing you to critique their work."

Just one person's opinion though.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-pawlowski/12/28a/2a5
  • SwdPwnzDggr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 wrote: »
    I critique art because I enjoy it, I look at art for inspiration and to learn, and I create art because I love it. I'm a game programmer, I don't make money at all off of art.

Being that I am not paid for anything, and you are paid to lecture and help, I just don't really understand this at all.

No, I am a student. The entire studio is student run. I applied for the role of the modeling lead and got the position based on my resume and portfolio.
    Are you not able to critique your own students?

Who said I am not critiquing them? This is just their online weekly, they have another one during lab time that I run. I will also be posting here every week after their deadline for posting. Just like how I did previous semesters, only instead of being in a private forum it is now public.

The other website I frequent is gamdev.net, for programming related to games. On there anything that sounds like homework, they have a policy that they will not do programming homework for people.

I sent an email asking polycount if this was ok beforehand and it was approved as long as it stuck to a single thread. This has nothing to do with doing homework for anyone, it is about getting people used to coming to polycount as a resource and getting critiques for their art.

No one here is going to ask for any work to be done for them. Did anyone give you a model and tell you to fix it?
    This thread is a step further and sounds like "do my job". If all you know is high poly CGI and not game stuff, I feel you should have prepared and stuck around here, observe ask questions to apply that to your students. From the website though, it looks like the college has been making games for years.

You're making way too many assumptions here. I never said I lack knowledge about being a game artist did I? In fact I have been doing it for many years, before I ever started at Chico State and have been the lead of this department for over a year now. I was giving those that want to critique some background info on where the students knowledge would be based on the current curriculum of the program.

Chico State Game Studios has been around for many years and has been for years student run. There is no instruction in the course, you get assigned a task based on your department, with deadlines and specifications just like a job, from other students.

Critiquing this thread to me just feels like a job. If individuals wanted help, and ask for it vs a collective group. I feel like that is a class and a job of the class. I already see about 7 questions, are you going to post reply's to this thread. Are these questions just going to be asked tomorrow in class that it is a waste of time for anyone to post here? "I'm forcing my students to post here...in turn I'm forcing you to critique their work."

Just one person's opinion though.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-pawlowski/12/28a/2a5

Then don't critique here, no one is forcing you even though you seem to think I am. I've already answered your other questions up ahead.

Also you seem to be assuming that we give instruction. I give tasks and critiques.

The entire goal of making students post weeklies here is to expose them to the world of game art by jumping into the deep end. I've told students previous semesters to come here as a resource, and it would be great if they came here on their own but that isn't the way most college students work.

This thread has nothing to do with taking any workload off of me or the students, in fact it is giving both of us more work to do since the students have to have done enough work between their Thursday in lab weekly, and this one to show progress, and I must give critiques here as well as in lab. The faculty only really suggest that I do one a week in the labs, this online one is entirely my own doing.

There are no graded assignments in the course, just reviews every month based on their work and participation which then gets turned into a letter grade at the end of the semester based on how they adapt over the semester based on reviews.
  • shiddles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shiddles vertex
    This is the concept image i have going off of.

89e02d1ea0.jpg

The Breast for the female character is still making trouble for me because its very hard to get the natural flow of it down for me since i have never done female characters before. I have a side by side comparison in the image below hoping the one on the left is the changed while the one on the right is the original. If anyone has a better idea on how to model breast i would greatly appreciate the help since this is my first female character.

b0e2ecd417.jpg

This is the shirt i have been working on since the concept shows that there is a pocket i have been using sculpting tools in Maya 2016 to change the form to better fit the body.

cb1714e6a5.jpg
    e5b22d9e28.png

The fabric that covers the stomach and part of the breast had to be redone because as it was pointed out on another day it would be able to bend properly so i just used the quad draw tool to fix that issue.

42f6c7dddd.jpg

Lastly this is the dress i made a few months back and i used cloth simulation to make it have that form. I want to redo it to make it better but i don't know anything that can make it look more natural or closer to the concept image

35c716581d.png
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    I assumed you were an instructor when writing that.

I still think having random works in progress thrown into a big thread, you might not get as much feedback as you want, but who knows really. Typically the threads on here are of single pieces, or a collective group of final pieces to critique. For instance, the previous character, the person doesn't seem to be having any issues or asking questions, so maybe if they waited till they were done, feedback can be given on proportions and similarities to the concept, when they actually are looking for feedback. If you get what I'm saying, just posting because it is Sunday, vs an actual need for feedback, might get better feedback.
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence polycounter lvl 9
    @Osamano The ladder texture is looking good so far. With the modular pieces you have there, maybe try posting the render with a wireframe to make it a little easier to read what is going on. Also check out this thread for some cool ideas on modular asset creation. It's from Jacob Norris a Texture artist at Naughty dog, he has some really cool pointers!
  • osamano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you noosence, once I make actual pieces that will be in game I will make sure to post them with a visible wireframe. These are currently just for size reference. Thank you for the link as well, it will definitely help.
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    Hello! My assignment was to create four tileable ground textures. I decided to make two cobblestone, one dirt, and one grass.

Link to the album with color and normal maps: http://imgur.com/a/iCUpI

Here are some render shot taken in UE4:
    In7v09g.png?1
    zDhGpDn.png?1zDDVolr.png?1
  • Altostratus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! For my assignment, I also had to create some tileable ground based textures. I decided to work on these using Bitmap2Material in order to remove most of the shadows and tile them properly.

Here is a link to the full album with the base color and normal maps:
    http://imgur.com/a/alKE8

Here are the textures as they appear when tiled in a 2x2 grid in Maya:

aySgGob.jpgOSeZilO.jpgjM7ioXc.jpgExQxpWj.jpg
  • Jordan Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, my name is Jordan and I was tasked with creating some foliage for the game. This is my first time using alpha transparencies for plants, so I only had a rough idea of where to start. Luckily, Polycount had a great page on the topic that gave me some ideas on where to start.

FmwcL1l.jpg

These are some maps I made for some leafs I'm going to be using on a set of modular hedges I'm making. Seen here...

eBk5XNc.jpg

And the repeating texture I made for it here...

8hgEMOC.jpg

I've also made some High poly models that I will use the same process on for some other bushes.

buNvtj5.jpg

I've also done some experimenting with vertex normals to create better blending between the alpha cards.

QA2cMXq.jpg

Any tips, advice, critiques are of course welcome, thanks!
  • SwdPwnzDggr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I assumed you were an instructor when writing that.

I still think having random works in progress thrown into a big thread, you might not get as much feedback as you want, but who knows really. Typically the threads on here are of single pieces, or a collective group of final pieces to critique. For instance, the previous character, the person doesn't seem to be having any issues or asking questions, so maybe if they waited till they were done, feedback can be given on proportions and similarities to the concept, when they actually are looking for feedback. If you get what I'm saying, just posting because it is Sunday, vs an actual need for feedback, might get better feedback.

Thanks for the concern. The weekend weeklies were originally created to serve a single purpose:

Make sure people actually are working and making progress.

Before I started doing a weekend online weekly I would watch as people from my team came into the labs the day before something was due and start working on it for the first time, only to tell me later that day that they weren't given enough time.

The reason I asked to move it over to the polycount forums is to get them on the forums at least once a week. Like I said before, I wish people would come here on their own but it just wasn't happening.

And another issue is if I waited for people to "need" feedback it would never come for some people. Many people would be more than happy to tell me every week that they're still working on it and act like they have no issues if they could. It also allows me to find issues ahead of time instead of wasting tons of hours working in a wrong direction.

Not every modeler I have had on my teams is like this, but at the end of the day if someone isn't pulling their weight on the team it is my fault as a lead. Sure they can fail the course and not receive units but they also mess up the pipeline and create a ton of stress and extra work for my team.

I have only been doing online weeklies for a semester now and already they have paid off in a HUGE way.
  • Yoomes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what I have been working on this week. I had to create cratesarrow-10x10.png. I have these two different versions of cratesarrow-10x10.png. I created the texture in Substance Designer 5. I am new to Substance Designer and I am still experimenting with it. Feel free to give me any tip or advice to help better myself.

Polycount Weekly 1.JPG

Polycount Weekly 2.JPG

A close up view of my texture that I created in Substance Designer 5.
    Polycount Weekly 3.JPG
  • zakioz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakioz polycounter lvl 3
    For this week, I worked on an outhouse. I tried to not make the wood so uninformed and added a bit of chipping and unevenness towards the individual wood pieces to give it an overall realistic look to it. I then went inside of substance painter and painted a wood and dirt texture towards it. This is what I have so far.
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    This week I was tasked with making a hanging wall lamp. I created a low poly and high poly version. I then imported the low poly into Substance Painter and used the high poly to bake a normal map.

I am currently figuring out how to make a glass texture using Substance for the lamp's glass panels, but this is what I have now! (If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know!) Also currently working on the base and arm that will hold the lamp up.

Link to the album (includes the normal map) - http://imgur.com/a/iGtBR
  • shiddles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shiddles vertex
    I didn't really make any progress because i was at the game jam and what i did there was that i modeled a character and rigged him and did 4 animations.
    ea1455da89.png
    I realized that i still don't like rigging all that much but i can still do it if need be since the auto rig script i was using wasn't working right for me at all so i had to make a very quick rig.
  • Teroniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teroniz vertex
    Hello! This week I've progressed farther with the tree's. Over the past two weeks, I've learned quite a bit regarding tree modeling and texturing. Unfortunately, I've been having to fix many errors, such as sizing and in addition to that, texturing.

Here's my progress.

Tree #1 w/ Leaves (Ignore bark texture)
    wekhT33.png

Tree #1 Mesh
    xBkmjDA.png

Tree #2 w/ Leaves (Ignore Bark Texture)
    farKxCG.png

Tree #2 Mesh:
    da4d0dd01bec936caefe23caf33dc051.png

Tree #3 Mesh:
    1bd4f0d03be09b752a6556202f5d3428.png

Tree #1 redone texture so far:

a94s69K.png

What it was prior:
    Cw6tngB.jpg
    6nVfgUI.png

I've also been assigned an additional task this week, creating outdoor tables from the revolutionary war era (think Assassins Creed 3). So far, I've created two different tables with 2-3 variations. I plan on creating a few more variations for each table over the next few days.

Here's my progress on the tables:

a0da22b82b663d071051b96d6787dd45.png

3591ce61f7bbbe015abbc8e19f3abd4d.png

Texturing so far:

a9abcec1e015d9dd008166518ed9a9e2.png

d0756ee1fb50c15c93203749b20ca336.png
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Cool stuff, looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence polycounter lvl 9
    @Teroniz that table is looking sweet, damage it up a bit to give it someore visual interest. Also with the tree, you might want to try just using a tiling texture instead of trying to fit it into UV space, you'll get much better revel density.
  • osamano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also spent the weekend as a participant in Chico State's first Annual Game Jam. The work I have done for this title are two textures in Designer, a brick and wood board material. The wood texture has a slider for amount of paint.

ufiEFm9.jpg
    MkAyR48.jpg
    vgILW6C.jpg

I made a few windows for the modular pieces, and their high poly versions. A set of stairs and platforms for buildings where also made, they are modular as well. The only missing part is the corner section of the platforms.

ByVn9IY.jpg
    UcC2vKL.jpg
    hyOHb4A.jpg
  • Altostratus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This week I've been working on a well. It still needs work, but this is what I have so far:

tKGr4Y3.png

5waq3FC.png
  • taylorconn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For this week I was assigned a male protagonist (Red Coat)
    Achievements this week:
    I was able to make the clothing items in Marvelous Designer, this was my first time using the program.
    I also participated in the Game Jam on Friday and Saturday.
    I made changes to the areas addressed in the weekly during class on Thursday as well.

The clothing still needs some more tweaking until I am content with it.. MD is a little picky.

This is what I have so far:

VsTjEnz.png

BEheNnB.png

mJLl5sM.png

Muge14m.png

N8iTpK9.png

5sajqZC.png

Hzyjx4N.png

Uxfsfm2.png
  • Teroniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teroniz vertex
    @noosence Thanks for the feedback! I'll be adding some damage (such as scratches/marks and possibly stains) here soon. I'll make sure to have a variation! As for the tree, yeah, texturing has been somewhat of a pain. Will give tiled texture a shot =)
  • Jordan Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This Week I was tasked with making some different variations of barrels to populate the game world. After some research on what to expect for colonial period barrels (types of wood used, etc.) I settled on making four variations.

Yv2n3rB.jpg

All models are UV'd and ready to be brought into substance painter, I will be posting textured captures tomorrow. Any advice, comments, or concerns are appreciated, as I would like to catch any potential problems before texturing begins. Thanks!

Update: Textures!

0gKWVU2.jpg

7Bu4SEP.jpg

JBGMlnk.jpg
  • Teroniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teroniz vertex
    Here's a quick update.

For the tables, I fiddled around with some built in textures, brushes and alphas. Ended up making multiple smart materials that worked out quite well for tables (many layers!).

Table #1: Short

ea65f0f172d74d3cac13375f443d8906.png

Table #1: Tall

df5f76f838ed5fbf432c7e63d426a1e5.png

Table #2: Long

d2d2026fd1e8446832085263f355e387.png

Table #2: Short

cc58b41d94a8b80328d0c6eaecafc77c.png

And here's an update on the tree texture. I went with the suggested tiled texture which worked out quite well. The tree's on the back burner right now due to a few reasons (one being software).

7e454b53fd9c5aa1b9168554ab1c74b6.png

My next task is to create street vender stalls/stands. They'll be designed for obtaining items from and/or being broken in order to create a distraction. So my plan of action will be to create multiple pieces of wood that can used to create any number of stands. And with multiple pieces of wood, it should be easier to 'break' the stand when required. One of the things I'll need to learn is how to create/deal with cloth/fabrics that are usually draped over the stalls during that time period. Will have to test things out!
  • Yoomes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For this week, I am working on creating stonewall. I used ZBrush to do the sculpting. I am very new to ZBrush so during that time, I was experimenting and playing around so I get use to it. I did the model is Maya, then brought it into ZBrush. I then use XNormals to bake out a lower mesh. Rock is something that I never tried sculpting before. As of now, I am still working on the texture.

This is what it looks like in Unity.
    StonewallWeekly.JPG

This is the sculpting I did in ZBrush. Still in progress of learning.
    StonewallWeekly2.JPG

This was my last week project. I was to create some crates. I did a better version of it.
    Crate1.JPG

Here is a close up view on the textures.
    Crate2.JPG
  • shiddles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shiddles vertex
    HI everyone i have been learning a new program and i have been geting used to it and was wondering if anyone could give me feeedback on it
    214470b928.jpg
    90cc56bc22.jpg
    494f515fa2.png
    This program has been fun, but it has its challenges. This is what i have been working on over the weekend. here is a picture of the concept if anyone can help me with making the pockets like its shown in the ima89e02d1ea0.jpgge would be a great help
  • zakioz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakioz polycounter lvl 3
    Last week I finished the outhouse, attached is the final version that I have for it. For this week, I am worked on two different chairs of that time. Here are the screenshot of what I have so far.
  • Teroniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teroniz vertex
    Hello again! My work for this week has been pretty lack luster due to me learning how to character model (for a separate project)! It's very fun, but very time consuming. Those edge flows! Also, my task this week was to create street vender stands. I have one mostly finished (which I'll be making a few variants of over the next few days). I also plan on having an additional stand (again, with variants) done soon as well.

Here's my work so far!

Vender Stand #1:

Textured:
    f06cd13ebe610977f23653bb1a15637c.png
    I plan on adding a few supports along with changing the current supports. My reference were the venders in Assassins Creed III. Currently, they look too much like the ones in AC3 so I plan on changing it up to more of my personal taste. I'll also be adding a few pieces of cloth.

Mesh:
    42c795be5a3207cdc1bc86a2ede79942.png

And here are a few extras for the venders area.
    bc68f7c4454dfb2d5988f3a59919a011.png

I'll post here again when I have them finalized!
  • osamano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed some the geo for the platform, stairs, and newly created fences to add variety to them. They are all sharing the same wood texture made in Designer, it is a wood more exposed to the environment.
    b3fMdCW.jpg
    fdr3F2R.jpg

NBTAM88.jpg
    kJ0Q9CA.jpg

I also created a modular canopy, where there are sections of two, one, or zero boards holding the cloth.
    BhPkgUf.jpg
  • taylorconn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completed Work

GYTHIIL.pngkSV8lcF.png
    W9jzDCs.png

Progress with RedCoat:

I finished the sculpt and have been having some issues getting a somewhat detailed model into maya. After decimating it down to about 300k I was able to get it to open up. However, in Maya it has about 8 million which is workable. It just stalled me from starting the retopo. The .obj was still having issues opening.

y60jo93.png
    4XrPRzm.png
    hZSrM6v.png
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    Hi everyone! My task last week was to make a hanging lantern. Here is the final product. I was able to get the opacity to work in our university's lab computers however for some reason on my computer the opacity is not registering. I am still trying to figure out the cause. Nevertheless, here it is:

dpRu9FidpRu9Fi.png

My latest assignment was to make a park bench. Here is the low poly and the final textured product:

[EDIT: The wood texture was provided to me by Teroniz. It was decided that we use the same wood textures to add consistency between the variety of wooden objects in the game]

YZngNYE.png
    13dA3bg.png
  • Altostratus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again. This last week I finished up working on the well and have also been working on sculpting some rocks. This has been a particularly interesting challenge, given I haven't used ZBrush before.

6VIYo2X.png

7dpDhtu.png
    Y8GbAOv.png
  • Teroniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teroniz vertex
    Altostratus Can't help but think that the rock looks like chewed gum (too many straight chunks). The large ravine on the top image feels off and very noticeable. It might be best to soften how deep it is kind of like this.

For the bottom image, I'm having a problem with
    68f84c836cead0be7fee89c5139544b6.png

It looks too straight plus it doesn't have many offshoots for such a large crack. At the very least, it would be best to have a zig zag of a line rather than a straight-ish line. An example would be this. Notice how it's not straight, along with having larger chunks missing in places? I suggest to mimic that.

All in all, I am no rock expert and this is just my opinion!
  • Teroniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teroniz vertex
    Here an update on those vender stands. These will be plain for a little while until the other props can be produced. Didn't get much time to allocate to the task this week =( I'll be working on these more in the future to flesh them out with vender props and cloth, along with fine tuning them.

Vender Stand #1

Mesh:
    572ec59684997193767ed6bcca511e84.png

Texture:
    74ae771089d76653a62b638a0a228009.png

Vender Stand #2

Mesh:
    391be9273afbdc7c892bfd11a2aacdbf.png

Texture:
    69d5a39d2990fdf280431be25f479fb3.png

Vender Side Table

Mesh:
    2e40f844adbcff07c4ab252587c7b73e.png

Texture:
    7b9c9bb6d830b194a0dbbdf64891a5ca.png

The reference I mainly used:
    669e00388232ec1c6c6b2020b539f5d4.jpg
  • Yoomes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For this week, I am working on making a dead tree. I started the process in Zbrush and the import into Maya. I used the ZTree plugin to make this tree. As of now, I am just going in and fixing some meshes. I am also going back into ZBrush and experimenting around to see what I can do. Leave any tip/feedback on how I can better myself. The current polycount is 1066 in tris.

DeadTree1.JPG

DeadTree2.JPG
  • Altostratus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!

This week I've been continuing my studies with sculpting rocks, using a few new tools in ZBrush that have delivered markedly better results than my initial attempts (Primarily the TrimSmoothBorder brush, which seems to be a very popular tool for sculpting rocks.)

I've also been working with Maya and Mudbox to make low-poly versions of these rocks (With the high-poly versions baked on as normal maps) that can be used in a game environment. Each of these low-poly versions contains about 500~ tris each. There's still a lot of room for improvement (Namely in giving these rocks a more distinctive "feel" to them), but I feel that I am at least making progress.

zXgnNqH.png

G2UXxQA.png

svJsxPI.png

qTUVP2n.png

I've also been working on a small texturing project as well that involves create a pile of hay. This was primarily done using Substance Painter.

OQy53PW.jpg
  • taylorconn
  • zakioz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakioz polycounter lvl 3
    This week I worked on an oil lantern. The first image is the concept art that I used and the rest are in maya with the wireframe and to show the scale next to a character. The last one is what I have so far in substance painter.
  • osamano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This time around I made more modular pieces for the city. They are all UV'd but their shells still need to be packed.

These are some walls, the back can be brick or wood, the front sections are more for store fronts with windows.
    VERnDC5.jpg

These are just a few doors with no Hi-poly versions yet.
    7qe2s5f.jpg

These are different windows with their Hi-poly version sitting in front of them.
    496KupZ.jpg
  • shiddles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shiddles vertex
    I wasn't able to get something done since i did the Animjam and that took up most of my time on friday and saturday and i slept most of sunday because of how tired i was
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    Hello all. Last week I finished up my bench. Here is the final product:

BJNpME2.png

This week I'm making a small flower pot. I decided to go with a sunflower (ultimately I hope to put around three flowers per pot, but we'll see!). They are currently separate objects because the flower might be able to be plucked by the main character. I'm still messing with the alpha cards, so at this point the flower is a work in progress. Here is the flower pot and flower:

s0xIM6r.png
    k8SwYHL.png
    QoRizsq.png
  • Teroniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teroniz vertex
    My update this week will be a short one. Been spending most of my time fixing the proportions and topology of my very first character model.

My task this week was to create a tree to climb up and to get onto buildings. Again, used AC3 for reference. I've only spent time to zbrush it so far, will be re-topologizing and texturing it over the next few days.

122b15cc8eb3a57a4913543852775413.png
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    Guys I don't want to be a downer here but it seems like substance painter has become a huge crutch for you guys. It takes away from being a "game artist" when you just slap pre-made materials on your work and call it done. Substance painter is such a great program with amazing capabilities use em' and experiment!
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Hi there, interesting thread! I like the idea of using a game studio structure for a class, very fun idea. I'll poke my head in from time to time to see what the students are working on. Thanks for sharing your work!
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    This week I was assigned a gravestone. I used a Stencil (created in Photoshop) to paint the text in Substance. Since this object will be duplicated, the name on the gravestone is currently a placeholder. I imagine either there will be a variety of names or the text will be scuffed so the name is illegible. Here is the wireframe and final result:

9sGDGQd.png
    4V5JJgd.png
  • Altostratus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there! This week I've been working on an anvil. I'm still not entirely happy with the topology, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it, I'd love to hear it.

692mzJi.png

EyeMUwv.png

rdk6EO1.png

vqexIYI.png