Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sting

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
Hey folks, here's a little side project I worked on alongside my other environments to keep things fresh, it's something I've wanted to model for a long time and I used it as an opportunity to learn Substance Painter. 8)

Anyway here's some shots from Unreal Engine 4 and a Sketchfab viewer.

william-koehler-sting-sheathed.jpg?1437716038
william-koehler-sting-unsheathed.jpg?1437716040
william-koehler-sting-glow.jpg?1437716035

[SKETCHFAB]48a87e783b5c4274894086f1f8fbb1d3[/SKETCHFAB]

Blade : 1,664 tris
Sheath: 1,800 tris
Total: 3,464 tris

5 1024x1024 textures

william-koehler-maps.jpg?1437716042

Comments and Critiques appreciated as always :)

Replies

• aleksandr.kili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aleksandr.kili polycounter lvl 4
    Looks good, been looking at this more and I would say maybe the only thing to reconsider is the sheath texture?

http://img00.deviantart.net/0491/i/2011/347/9/7/sword_sheath_by_mandrakil-d4izc8r.jpg
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/Tarmajin/M132.jpg

Perhaps its diff material than that but for leather, the pattern looks a bit large and throws the scale off?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd give the materials another pass, honestly. That wood in particular is a) supershiny, and b)pretty bumpy. More bumpy than it's albedo or gloss would suggest

The text is also pretty pixelated, and there's no variation in gloss/roughness between it and the wood. Some edge definition and ao would help

But some larger-scale gloss-variation most of all, as well as just getting the values right

The damage on the blade also feels more like concrete than metal
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Will,
    Yes the wood needs the more work. Generally I would say that the texturing work on this one needs more subtleness.
    But it's going to be a nice one!
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    You could easily mirror the textures and cut down the texture resolution by half, especially as it seems that all the text is just mirrored as well.

The blade is way too shiny at the moment as well. Right now it looks almost like a 100% gloss, but no real weapon would really look like that, especially not one with as much wear and tear as this one has.

The plaque could also use a few more polys to smooth out the silhouette a bit.

The sword has some nice potential right now as it seems to be well modeled but I've got to agree with the others saying that the material needs more work.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    @aleksandr Thanks man, my references all use some kind of cool, maybe mythical, leather.
    LOTR_Sting_Scabbard_UC1300.jpg
    I'll probably tweak it while I'm there anyway though :)

@MightyPea Detailed critique is much appreciated, now I've got a substantial list of things to revise. Thanks! :D

@DanielR17 Noted, thanks for the consistent support. :thumbup:

@Nosslak Thanks for posting, looking now I agree with the gloss issues, will fix. On the topic of mirroring, I considered it but even if I mirror the UV's on the blade (for example) it's the vertical length that's the limiting factor here. Maybe I could turn it all 45 degrees and get a little bit more out of it, but would I really be able to noticeably improve the resolution by trading unique UV's? As for the plaque I hear ya, didn't notice some of the jagged silhouette before. Thanks again! :poly121:

@All On a personal note I'm in the midst of a move and a new semester, so it may take a few days, but your advice won't go to waste.