Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portrait

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
I've been working on this portfolio piece for the last couple of weeks. My goal was to achieve a realistic and believable character.

I still need to fix a few little things, but it's getting very close to being finished.

Before I wrap it up, any comments and critiques would be welcomed! :)

jean-pascal-berthiaume-portrait-wip-3.jpg

Replies

• Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looks good =) To make him more believable you need to open the mouth, or at least give the illusion that you have two lips. Now the line between them is too obvious.
    About the same for the nostrils that doesn't seems to be real holes.
    Also the hair could be enhanced, but I can't help you on this since I'm not familiar at all with fibermesh or any hair rendering system...
    And nice render btw. =)
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Hey, that's a really great start.

But to make it really realistic and believable, it still needs a lot of work :

- add more imperfection to the surface of the skin, like bumps, pimples, small wrinkles,...
    - make the face more asymetric, like one nostril slighly bigger, left corner of the lips higher,...
    - add more high frequency variation to the skin color. Even in greyscale, what you have now doesn't look real
    - the hair is too perfect

Check out ysalex' work, he's really good at that kind of stuff : http://www.yurialexander.com/
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kinds words and the feedback guys! I appreciate it.
    I'll keep that in mind as I finish this piece. :)

I'll work on the skin shader. Those skin details are sculpted, and already part of the skin texture and normal, but I'm now noticing that they are too blurred/soften by the skin shader.

I'll also try to had more variation to the hair.

Regarding the asymmetry, the wrinkles and the lips: The character is still in default pose at the moment, therefore the asymmetry's are subtle. This is a self-portrait, and I have a rather symmetrical face and very little wrinkles, which made it challenging to sculpt compared to modeling an old man for instance. That being said, once I give it an actual facial expression, I'll make sure to add asymmetry and wrinkles based on the expression!

Regarding the nostrils: the holes are actually modeled in. I guess this impression might come from the soft shadows?

Oh, and yes, I agree that Yuri is a fantastic artist! :)

I believe I should have an update ready this week-end or early next week. Back to work! :D
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I think the facial hair doesn't look quite right, it seems to stand out too much. possibly because you haven't added any blue tones to the skin underneath it?
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loge0vl1YWc[/ame]
    this video is by a teacher of mine from university, check it out.
  • Catzcratch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Catzcratch polycounter lvl 6
    I'll work on the skin shader. Those skin details are sculpted, and already part of the skin texture and normal, but I'm now noticing that they are too blurred/soften by the skin shader.

i'd suggest you look at 3D scans of faces with zbrush matcaps . you'll notice that the small details like pores are more intense than you'd see them in a picture with realistic lighting AKA references .
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/34/c5/1f/34c51f8ea4d9c07bf03fe445223519af.jpg

all thanks to the skin shader as you noted
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic: seems like a great video! I'll take a look at it tomorrow, thanks!

Catzcratch: I did look at 3d scans during my sculpting process, and I agree that they are fantastic references. The details were already as intense on my zbrush sculpt, so the problem was coming from somewhere else. I found out that the main culprit regarding the lack of pore details was my scene scale (normal smoothing, shadow blur and a couple of other settings are directly affected by this).

Update: The hair scalp transition as been reworked, and the skin shader (and the associated texture maps) has been improved. Oh, and I uploaded a colored version this time around. It's not totally finished yet, but I think it's getting closer.

Next on my list:

-fixing some texture issues in the ear area.
    -adding a bit more variation to the hair
    -painting an albedo texture for the clothes.
    -finishing the eyeglasses (modeling the nose pads, adding fine details and painting the albedo)
    -adding a subtle facial expression, to add a bit more asymmetry.

As always, comments and critiques are very appreciated! :)

jean-pascal-berthiaume-wip-4.jpg?1441776482

• MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    The hair on that guy is amazing.. If it's not too cheeky of me to ask, Would you be willing to show wireframes?