Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Hobbit recreation showcase thread

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Aasmund1986 polycounter lvl 5
This is my first showcase thread: Here I will post my WIP of the The Hobbit recreation project. I do most of the models myself (Others will be credited) Honest feedback are welcome!

(And feel free to join the project)

Tools: Mudbox, MayaLT, Sculptris, Photoshop, Substance Painter, UnrealEngine and NUKE.

smg3.jpg
smg4.jpg
smg2.jpg
smg1.jpg
lkt.jpg
glm2.jpg
dsk.jpg
glm.jpg

Replies

• Aasmund1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New version of Laketown:
    (These models are not mine, these are from the "Lakeside cabin" asset on the UnrealEngine marketplace.)
    Skjermbilde5.jpg
    Skjermbilde7.jpg
    Skjermbilde8.jpg
    Skjermbilde9.jpg
    Skjermbilde10.jpg
    Skjermbilde11.jpg

Now I will go into Maya and Make detail props for the houses.
  • Aasmund1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeled some props like the Black Arrow bow and have started with some post-production:
    Skjermbilde12.jpg
    Skjermbilde13.jpg
    Skjermbilde17.jpg
    Skjermbilde16.jpg
  • Aasmund1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some feedback would be great :) Im updating the thread very soon.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spend moore time on your assets.
  • Aasmund1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, Im a novice 3D designer but Im learning. Im more of a VFX/composing guy. Still I like to do 3D stuff myself :) Thanks for the tips by the way.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are a novice then i would advice scaling down the project a bit. Start small and build from there. The entire city is a daunting project even for an experienced artist. You probably can start making a good harpoon gun? Thats atleast a bit moore manageble
  • Aasmund1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know they built Laketown 5 times on the set. So its a very very big project. I will try to make the harpoon gun better. Thanks for the honest feedback :)
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cube Republic polycounter lvl 11
    echo what's said above really. The wood is running horizontal on vertical pieces.
  • blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    None of these are finished, why are you using pre-made assets instead of your own?

Your pictures of the fires and stuff look like crap, I can't see what's going on.

Is that a cave? it's so washed out I can't tell

What's that last sculpt? Gollum? again I CAN'T TELL.

Where is your reference? are you using any?

You're trying to do too much. Slow down and finish things one at a time
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats a bit harsh blinKX10.
  • Aasmund1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, its ok Visceral, an artist dont get anywhere without honest feedback :)
    Heres the finished version of Gollums cave: 11986374_1039042589469853_78666710238406585_n.jpg
    But, you cant say that the fire looks like crap, it looks decent to me.
    Its noting wrong with using free assets, when Im more of a VFX/composing guy?
    And when its comes to 3D, Im learning as I said :) But thanks for your advices,
    Maybe I should finish things before I post.
  • blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    But, you cant say that the fire looks like crap, it looks decent to me.
    Its noting wrong with using free assets, when Im more of a VFX/composing guy?
    And when its comes to 3D, Im learning as I said

I'm being brutally honest because you seem to make excuses such as "it looks decent to me". There's a term we use in the industry called "tunnel vision" it's where you work on something for a period of time and your brain just starts to just accept things, even when it doesn't look great. You shouldn't want it to look just "decent", you should want it to look "amazing".

The pictures are super dark and I can't see any of the detail. I see the fire, Smaug and thats it.

Honestly I liked your earlier picture of the cave, it seems a little bit lighter and I can see more.

There isn`t much feedback I can give on the ballista or the tower, you haven`t posted any reference images.
  • Aasmund1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, its what pushing me to do it better. Learning new things in the industry is also great. Im one of those who like to recreate things that have been done before. So I will come up with something better, next time :)