Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Castle Tileset UNITY

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Takkik polycounter lvl 13
Hello! Working on a 3D tileset like the Manufactura ones for Unity with new Pbr shaders in mind. Still working on the style.

Old texture test, clay style
takkik_tileset_WIP001.jpg
takkik_tileset_WIP002.jpg
takkik_tileset_WIP003.jpg
takkik_tileset_WIP004.jpg

Current test
takkik_tileset_WIP009.jpg
takkik_tileset_WIP010.jpg
takkik_tileset_WIP011.jpg
takkik_tileset_WIP012.jpg
takkik_tileset_WIP013.jpg
takkik_tileset_WIP014.jpg

Replies

• Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    These are looking nice. I like clay style a tad more as the surfaces of the stones didn't look so busy, and later on that may be a problem (and make tiling more obvious). I assume you are planning to add trims to the set eventually?
  • Takkik
    Offline / Send Message
    I've noticed I've gone rogue with sculpting on the second test, I would like to combine the general form of first test with the look of the second.
    About Tiling, it's normal if it's more abvious in the second style, I've done smaller tiling textures (less stones). Faster to sculpt/texture, need less texture space and so can do more variations (can mix them with a mask). Planning to add more elements as I progress.
  • Takkik
    Offline / Send Message
    Experimenting with decals.
    takkik_tileset_WIP015.jpg
    takkik_tileset_WIP016.jpg
    takkik_tileset_WIP017.jpg
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Really clever idea! Tough predicament, as this is a cool solution but I think the mesh normals force the decal to look like mushy clay a bit. I've been playing a lot of MGS5 and I'm curious as to how they handle their corners, because they look really good in the game.
    You could try normal overlay mode on the decal so the gaps underneath show.

How precisely can you align decals? If you have good control over their placement, I think your mesh could have hard normals, and your decal normal map could look something like this:
    decalCorner.png
    split down the center with 45 degree normals at the seam.
  • Elrinion
    Offline / Send Message
    Elrinion polycounter lvl 2
    This decal edge technique looks great for these situations. I just wonder if the same couldn't be done with some shader magic and multiple UV's.
  • Takkik
    Offline / Send Message
    MAkkon: Actualy using simple geometry with alpha so can't blend the normals. The smooth normals/corner is in the actual design/test, the corners are little beveled and I use smooth normals. When using hard normals the pillar look too clean, not natural, personnaly i prefer the smooth feeling.
    the decal was quick made, I will try to give it a more angular feel. It's actually baked on a plane, should perhaps try to sculp it on a cube? I could try create custom geometry for the pillar too, or bake large detail normals.
    Playing too mgs5 (don't help updating my project ^^) and true the corner look great (love the ruins at mission 11).

Elrinion: pretty sure you can use shader, would work nicely for blending with the texture but not sure if it's cheap. I try to stick with unity 5 base shader for now.

Main problem is that I loose the horizontal brick pattern. I tried to adjust the alpha but it looked weird at my first test, will try to actually sculpt them in the decal.
  • Takkik
    Offline / Send Message
    Months already passed and trying new art style. Full Substance designer this time.

• Takkik
    Offline / Send Message