Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Roman Pillar - WIP - Need Critique

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jace213 polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, looking for some feedback on a pillar I've been working on. It's based on the design of ancient Roman pillars, which are typically covered in a lot of Corinthian leaf decorations and all that.

Here's some of the reference I've been using:
[IMG][/img]19916874626_cffc0c26f8_k.jpgArdelean_Jason_Concept by Jason Ardelean, on Flickr

Here's the pillar so far:
19935720562_243aa4f501_k.jpgImage_3 by Jason Ardelean, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]19935721382_4e02a7f570_k.jpgImage_2 by Jason Ardelean, on Flickr

Lemme know if y'all would like some alternative angles or what have you.

Replies

• Elrinion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elrinion polycounter lvl 2
    That's a nice Corinthian Capital you got there.

Some things:

- These capitals are made out of stone, so they need to be solid. I would recommend adding thickness to the backfaces of the leaves and other hanging elements as not to seem they're just dangling from the main body and are actually part of it.

- The grooved columns are not usually perfectly straight down. They have a bit of curvature and their base is has a bit larger circumference. not hard to do with a simple FFD.

Keep up the good work. o/
  • Jace213
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Elrinion! I had tried to go through using the inflate tool to give the pieces some thickness, not sure how well it worked though. I think I'll try to add thickness when I retopologize. I moved it into Unreal with some base materials and extra pieces, mostly as place holders, to start getting an idea about texturing and lighting.

[IMG][/img]rulJESV.jpg
    [IMG][/img]HCQxqEX.jpg
  • Elrinion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elrinion polycounter lvl 2
    That looks great!

It does seem a little too high poly for real time though. Take a look at Epic's Sun Temple demo in which you can download the assets. It shows really well how they did the final modelling and materials for this exact same case.

Ideally the final and normal map baked capital model should be made in a single continuous mesh. Each separate mesh element adds extra draw calls from what I remember. It might not be a big deal depending on your project scope and poly budget though.

Keep up the good work. o/
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    If you're talking about floating geometry, I don't think it has any noticeable affect on draw calls or anything like that. Could be wrong though, just never heard of it causing problems before.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    Looks nice dude, IMO, I would do a zbrush pass on this just to add the realism. Keep us posted ! :D
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Yes, get it in Zbrush :D
  • Jace213
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Very cool Elrinion, I'll be sure to download that ASAP.
  • Jace213
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here's an update with some materials I was trying out. I'm gonna go back through and make the whole thing marble I think, but I wanted to try with some different materials for the decorative pieces at the top. Lemme know what you think!
    [IMG][/img]b5NGMJh.jpg
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Corinthian capitals ftw! Looks really nice imo!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    Marble material is really nice, and I like that your capital is of different material than the rest of the pillar. One thing I might suggest is add cracks here and there (even if it's a "new" pillar). Great work so far :D

Cheers!