Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Princess Zelda Fan Art WIP

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Shendoo polycounter lvl 13
Study hi-poly modeling for game.
Model made for the workshop characters for games Gilberto Magno http://gilbertomagno.com/

wipZelda_zpsh9desfg3.jpg

wipZelda1_zpswg5rrtiv.jpg

Render
final_render_zpsv3sssud8.jpg

Breakdown
dress_breakdown_zpsgvfnu75h.jpg

HiRes: My artistation

Replies

• Staubkopf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Staubkopf polycounter lvl 3
    Nice work Shendoo :) keep it up
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work, but her face doesn't feel much like Zelda, at least to me. Maybe you should check her Smash Bros, Twilight Princess and Hyrule Warriors model/screenshots to get some great face references.

And thank you for the little tutorial!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Nice job. Now I know how to make a cute litte nose.
  • supremedalek925
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supremedalek925 polycounter lvl 10
    Super rad. I like the 3D details of the dress patterns. This is just my opinion, but I would experiment with adding a breastplate similar to her Twilight Princess design because that bare cupped chest strikes me as far less detailed than the rest of the model.
  • Shendoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    @Fenyce I'll try improve the face!

@supremedalek925 I want to do this character more sexy.
  • Shendoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Critics please!
    wip_marmoset_zpslj7kdm8m.jpg
  • RocketBryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    Looking pretty good, I must say. That tutorial you posted earlier on is all kinds of awesome too - definitely saved that one for my own reference.

I would recommend two things for you to take another look at, the first of which being her apparently vacuum sealed top/bust line. The skin-tight look is a pretty common trope in comics as it allows comic artists to show the most heroic human form with muscle contouring and fully revealed anatomy. The origin and reason for the look is pretty interesting, but suffice it to say the look in pop culture comes from trying to replicate the classical Greco-Roman athletic ideal while obviously not having the character run around in the buff. So although you state you're trying to go with more of a "sexy" version, you still want it to look correct, so I'd give some more volume to that top so it actually reads as a fabric top and not vacuum suction spandex.

The second suggestion would be to just add a bit more mass to her front braids and sword. Right now they're a little too thin and don't read particularly well. Even if it strays a bit from a concept, I generally err on the side of making things a bit bulkier so they have more weight when zoomed out and viewing the entire figure. You can see the thicker braids in the reference below - it also has a nice, subtle taper from thin, to thick, to thin again to give it some nice volume.

tp-zelda-render-421x800.jpg
  • Krater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krater polycounter lvl 10
    Looking great! I agree with Rocket Brian on that the braids feel a bit thin. The eyes feels like there are staring really intently at something in the distance, and I would like to see different lights highlighting curves and details.

Also, thanks for the tutorial! I'm definitely going to use it in my projects.
  • Shendoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final renders in marmoset
    Turntable
    turntable_R_zpslspk0xqk.jpg

Pose
    render_pose_zpsu3yhxyku.jpg

For marmoset viewer
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/shendoo
  • Agamotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agamotto null
    Really bealtiful!
    nice work!
  • Shendoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This is really pretty, love the front view. I think she looks a tad wonky from the side, the face is a bit long and her chest is comming out a bit to much. it almost feels like you stretched the model in the side view.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Pix are a bit small for me but kick ass results she's a beauty.

Going to have to agree with lotet i see that now also.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    For a character like Zelda, i'd play around with the skin shader in Toolbag...

apply the skin shader to everything, set the subdermis color to black (so nothing has scattering) and then set the shadow blur slider to zero, or close to zero. this will give the whole model a really harsh shadow line, almost toon shading.

could be really cool to play with that kind of stuff on a character like this.