Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted weapon critique wanted

Serphantim
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Serphantim polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone giving hand painted weapons a shot again. I've tried recreating one of my old sword and using the new stuff I have learned to improve it.

Here is the old Sword:
MN4TYXd.jpg

And here is the new version:
ACpsZfD.jpg

The blue version is just some messing around with photoshop but I kinda liked the color scheme

Also a sketchfab version:
[sketchfab]0dd44213a0674c888c11dd6b3253b8e6[/sketchfab]
Tidal Slasher by serphantim on Sketchfab

If you could spare any of your time to give me some feedback that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    i think the colors are too uniform and saturated, also the different materials dont blend well...
    also revise the material definition... right now all the materials pretty much read the same...
    apply smoothing groups to the mesh to soften some of the normals and get rid of a lot of those unnaturally hard edges

hope this helps a bit and isnt too ahrsh :s
  • Serphantim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serphantim polycounter lvl 3
    Cheers for the feedback skodone, harsh is fine with me because I learn the most from it. I also didnt see that I got a reply on the thread so because of that I couldn't reply in a timely fashion and started working on another project. I will however see if I can apply some of your feedback to improve on the model so thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback.

I have been working on a new weapon:

lDj7F1H.jpg

[sketchfab]6efc68521f634786b6aaf1b2a59ef8b2[/sketchfab]
    Red Viper by Serphantim on Sketchfab

If you could spare time for feedback harsh as it may be I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    the blade is super thick. If you scale it thinner it would allow you to make the red bit above the gem thinner as well, which would show off more of the gold around the gem. Right now the gold is lost underneath the red part.
  • skusku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, gotta agree with the "too thick" part, its a sword after all, you wanna cut stuff with it, not bludgeon. What's the story behind that weapon ? How do you handle it?

It looks combersome and hard to handle. How do I counteract the torque that may come with me hitting something?

I love that red part! It reminds me of a blunt weapon, where I could hit an enemy with that part too, and giving me more weight and momentum on a downward strike while counterbalancing the weight of the blade as it is so asymetrical. Although the coloring is still very saturated, it looks like it could fit some more cartoonish rpg. I'd also use those cracks more scarcely, that thing looks like its not gonna cut anything anymore.

Hope I could give you some input :) Keep up the good work!