Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yoshi & Mario

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
DavidCruz interpolator
TLDR:
Title, Need help, want to help, tell me what to do better?

Long version:
Some of you might have already seen this in the WYWOT but thought i'd drop it into its own thread to possibly get any feedback.
This was going to be a speed sculpt but ended up being more because the concept was awesome and I wanted to see how far I could get and if I could replicate the style @ the modeling sculpting stage. I also did an out of the ordinary process for Yoshi and it worked out well.

Concept:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/random-sketches-d1de1b93-c84f-406e-b486-331f7c83c42b

Here they are:
david-cruz-mm.jpg?1436575652

david-cruz-yoshidccjavaswip1.jpg?1436575695
Dat Yoshi Image/render thou!

I also don't know if i should make them game ready meshes or keep them as sculpts?
I like them a lot especially the Yoshi but idk tbh, they would end up pretty much as they are unless anyone had feed back on any areas to progress, got this far with no assistance and thought I'd ask at this stage since I am just wondering what else can be done.

Thanks for veiwing.

Replies

• Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I think the hands on Mario seem too big at the moment. also the eyes are creepy as heck. maybe try either doing this style of pupil without iris: mlss_bros-headshots.jpg
    or have them larger and squished together like this kind of style: stock-photo-egg-with-comic-eyes-d-cartoon-illustration-97528025.jpg
    I really lover your yoshi, its exactly like the reference, nice job!
  • Topperr
    Offline / Send Message
    Topperr polycounter lvl 6
    Great looking Yoshi, love it, on the concept there's some red things like a roosters comb coming out of the back of his head which i'm assuming is meant to be part of the Yoshi concept, though I could be wrong.

I agree with Tetonic about Mario, the hands are a tad big and the eyes when covered by the hat make him look quite menacing.

Only other thing I would add is that I think the torso is too long compared to the concept which in turn make his legs look stumpy.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Thanks for the comments and helpful critics I will get to those edits straight away after this post and see what I can do, till then I made a posed version with Mario bopping Yoshi so he would eat the 1up then the other items are dropping out of the backpack.

Might add more to the scene and then decide if these will go into marmoset and see how to tackle everything there. (game res versions.)

Thanks for the kind comments I really like the Yoshi also.

Here is the pose image:
    david-cruz-dcmarioyoshiposedrender.jpg?1436643399
  • CharacterCarl
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    This is getting really cool. Love the style but you'll have to make some adjustments to the pose because right now Mario gets covered up a lot by Yoshi's head.
    Maybe position the camera up further or make Mario a bit bigger. You might also see if lowering Yoshi's posture helps.
  • Byrd
    Offline / Send Message
    Byrd polycounter lvl 6
    My childhood is weeping. I mean on one hand I really like it. On the other Hoggle is cosplaying Mario in an attempt to destroy my dreams. The only thing that could make it worse is if you make the egg laying dino anatomically correct.

On a more productive note I think Mario needs work on his palms, I think his thumb is too small compared to the rest of his hand too. With regards to Yoshi, the plated structure at their ankle and upper arm seems almost exoskeleton like. Insect-ish if you will. I like it, but it looks less like a dinosaur than I's like.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Byrd wrote: »
    My childhood is weeping. I mean on one hand I really like it.
    On the other Hoggle is cosplaying Mario in an attempt to destroy my dreams. The only thing that could make it worse is if you make the egg laying dino anatomically correct.

I don't get it do you mean my sculpts or the concept? Though thanks for the kind comments that you liked it. :)
    Took your comments to heart about the thumbs and Dino. "plating".

Did it help any?

DerRazputin:
    The pose was just for fun and to finally see it in action.
    I will probably redo it again and keep your points in mind thanks for the helpful info. I will be sure to keep it in mind when I recreate the pose if I make the game res meshes, still undecided.
    Thanks

Topperr:
    Fixed those points and the legs where also bothering me it is good that it was not just me but I couldn't figure out what it was. Fixed it now and i feel it is much better now, thanks for the points on the torso and legs it helped and eliminated the issues i had with them.

Tectonic:
    Fixed the eye texture issues, I made two version for you to comment on I like them both and they seem to work really well, let me know.

Thanks for the info gents/ladies I sorted out the points mentioned here and feel it worked out well enough, if there are any other issues point them out.

Here is a grey-scale for those wanting to see them and hopefully any issues stick out better than the textured version.

david-cruz-dcyoshimariogreyscales.jpg?1436733056
    Played with a mat, the toy plastic one and created this grey-scale version hope it works well for showing off work.
  • Topperr
    Offline / Send Message
    Topperr polycounter lvl 6
    Mario's proportions are looking so much better. I will just add that although hands are more in line with the rest of his body, the thumb is now too large and looks a bit like he has an extra finger instead of a thumb, could just be the angle.

For the eyes, the first one makes me think of a cat that's trying to be adorable, much prefer the second iteration keeps the values of the original but makes him look a little less menacing and more like our lovable plumber.

For Yoshi, not really much I can add, looking forward to seeing this completed.
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Yoshi should have looked like that in the newer versions of Mario Bros.
  • Byrd
    Offline / Send Message
    Byrd polycounter lvl 6
    Having the ankle skin folds rather than the plating looks so much better, to me at least. I look forward to seeing the finished result.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    love the concept and the way the 3D is turning out so far, can't wait for you to get back working on this badboy!