Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

An Investigation into Modular Environment (Victorian) - Dissertation progress thread

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
carlosbermudezdecastro polycounter lvl 3

FINAL UPDATE

Hi guys!!!. Since the project is done, I've made a new thread (that also includes a breakdown).
I will update it too soon with the project files :D

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2357898

- FINAL RENDERS:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2356150&postcount=51

Hi there!!

For my dissertation project (of the MSc 3D Computer Games Design), I am going to make a 3D modular environment with a victorian theme. I really enjoyed "The Order" and also the new trailers of "Assassins Creed Syndicate" so I decided to use the victorian theme for the project.

Basically, what I want to do is to develop a modular workflow and make a study about it. I decided that instead of modelling first, I will make texture atlas and then model through them following some guidelines and that way I could create a lot of texture variations of the same mesh.

The workflow is based on jacob07777's (from purepolygons) method. His thread is awesome, with breakdowns and also his product is available to buy in the UE4 marketplace (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144838)

I will use this thread to post progress, seek fedback and improve the final product, which I will release for free and I will also make breakdowns of it.

I have until the 15th of September to finish it :D

To sum up the introduction, I will create a full scene using modular assets. I will also make props and use engine game features like vertex painting, folliage, etc. The game engine I'm going to use is UE4

1) References: I've spent a lot of time gathering references, from movies, books, games and also internet. I've found a lot of buildings that have awesome compositions and are modular. Here they are some moodboards of them:

a8JOa0T.jpg

T0csv2L.jpg

mK24s0M.jpg

zy7o57w.jpg

boPVjjv.jpg

A folder full of references if anyone is interested:

https://goo.gl/qXpbHR

I really like this screenshot of one of the ACS trailer, which is a good example of what I want to do, but with more buildings.
I'm having trouble to find a good picture of one street that I like the layout of it. What I dont want its to just create a straight flat street with simple buildings at the sides.

nS7hmuG.jpg

This is an example of the breakdowns I'm doing now of some of the buildings, to see modularity.

ejQYN5z.jpg

2) Texturing:
For the textures, what I'm going to do is to make some of them using zbrush, another ones substance designer and of course with Photoshop

This is going to be the next step of the project :)

Any suggestions or feedback for the project will be very much appreciated, specially now that I'm in the beginning of the project.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Hausestate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I hope all the best for you. Victorian buildings are greatest looking buildings. They fit in so many type of games from Resident Evil to Assassin Creed.
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for your answers, in the ue4 forum and here!! :D I hope I make a good project and a portfolio piece :D
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Cool thing that you are allowed to do something practical.. over here it's not scientific enough if there are no existing books or studies about it.. which is pretty much a problem and leaves it to.. violence.... sexism.. addiction.. game design stuff..
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Subscribed! Very interested in following your progress. I'm working on some modular design too for my current project.
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the kind answers!! :D I hope you like everything and if you have any suggestion or question feel free to ask.

I've been working for some days on the theory part of the thesis (most boring part, but it's important to research methods). Besides that, I really wanted to do some tests with the road and vertex painting.
    One project i made some months ago had a street with buildings at the sides, and a modular road. The final result of the road was a little bit "flat" so I decided that for this project I would learn vertex painting and make some awesome materials :D

I've made a material that is going to contain the asphalt and the pavement. Also it has vertex painting for puddles and dirt!! (thanks to Aaron Kaminer's tutorial). Also I made some tests with substance designer to make a texture for the "asphalt"

The final material is this (sorry for the mess, a lot of stuff inside hehe)

aKoPqrp.png

And some screenshots of the material applied to a tessellated plane:

77cynZt.jpg
    ShJmL5e.jpg
    lxRahNp.jpg

The main layout that I am going to follow for the road and pavement texutes is this:

lZyfTiR.png

This way, I can make couple textures with different variations of the textures and then use for example the pavement of the first one, and the "asphalt" of the second one. This will give me a lot of possibilities . (Its kind of the same thing I am going to do with the building parts. I will be able to have multiple variations of the assets using the same mesh but different materials)

This weekend I will start sculpting some of the highpoly objects needed for the texture creation, I will also start thinking about the layout of the building textures.

Thanks!!
  • Neoekamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoekamp polycounter lvl 5
    Best of luck! I have an interest in this type of architecture as well :D

Make sure to read up on classical proportions, it'll really help take the headache out of finding the right size for your assets, and making pleasing-looking scenes.

PresProportion-thumb.jpg

Definitely watching this thread!
  • Hausestate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The road looks really good. Just like in Order 1886! I could imagine some Parisian ligthpost and old red brick buildings along yhe road!
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the lack of details, I've been bussy working on the trims and textures.
    Here it is a quick update:

Basically, what I did first was in photoshop create a 2048x2048 document, in Edit/Precerences/Guides,Grid & Slices I set up the gridline at 64 pixels (also changed the colour) and 1 subdivision. Then when I press Control+H I can see the guides that are 64px size.

I made a "guide" texture by drawing lines in the guides in that document and exported that document to a png.

D0mRR4d.png

In 3D's max, I set the units to "generic units" and I created a plane of 2048x2048 with 32 length segments and 42 width segments. That way I converted it to edit poly and selecting polygons I detached rows that I used to start modeling the trims

8Gsj5BB.png

Back in photoshop, when I'm creating the texture (using the AO and NM baked from max), I can create quick masks using the guides

fCEIXDF.jpg

- Concrete High Poly Objects:

0h57u3x.png

- Metal High Poly Objects:

lfPVdxi.png

So this is the concrete texture applied to a plane right now:

hQ6oZeN.jpg

I want that kind of clean concrete in order to match it with the references (later then I can change the global colour in UE4). I would love to see some feedback in order to improve the texture.

The metal texture will be similar. The good thing is that they follow the same ammount and size of objects so I can easily have variations of the same trim by swaping the textures (I can even make a wood trim texture). Inside UE4 I'll be able to modify the global concrete and metal colours.

After finishing the trim textures, I'll proceed to make the bricks, slabs, roofs, etc tilleable textures which will have some guides. I'm planning to make them using substance designer, as for tilleable textures is awesome.

Any feedback will be much appreciated it!!

Thanks
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Nice approach on the trims :]
    Was wondering if you're planning to use vertex paint on your meshes?
  • Micaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaki polycounter lvl 3
    Solid approach,looks really good, can you recomend some sites to learn materials creation inside ue4? I'm reading unreal's manual and i saw Aaron Kaminer's tutorial but thats not enough. It seems like you have great knowledge about that :)
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    very nice!
    thansk for giving such a detailed insight
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tzur_H : Thanks!! Yes, I will definitely use vertex painting on my meshes, as I am already doing on the road. What I will probably do is to make decals of grunges, newspapers, etc and then vertex paint of dust and "wet surface" (kind of what the buildings look like in a sunny day after some raining).

@Micaky : Thanks!!, what I usually do is play around with the projects at the UE4 launcher (Learn Tab is awesome!) and also UE4 forums. You can learn a lot of things from there. Also I made some projects with UDK long time ago and some things are quite similar in UE4

@skodone : Thanks!!, I will do breakdowns of everything and try to explain my worflow researched and developed as best as I can (as part of my dissertation paper)

UPDATE

I have been working on the textures and materials of the trims. I have made diffuse, normal, roughness, metallic and colour mask of both concrete and metal (although I am using a pure black for the concrete metallic one). The textures are not finished, I would love some feedback to improve them.

XF475MG.jpg

- MATERIALS:

8aJ745e.png

XfIQrlu.png

The diffuse part is the only tricky one. Basically what I did was a to lerp between my original diffuse and a colour (exposed to change it in the instanced material) by using the Colour Mask texture as an alpha. The Colour Mas texture is a black and white texture in which I specified which areas I want to affect the tint colour (in white) and which areas I want to keep the original diffuse colour (in black). I use gray tones because I was able to get a better blending between them.
    Also the "Cheap Contrast" node is to make the edges softer so that way there is not a huge change between the diffuse and tint colour.
    The Tint Ammount and CheapContrastAmmount are also exposed to change them in the material instance.

NOTE: Right now the textures are imported in single files but in the final project I will put the different textures in the channels, so that way I can have the diffuse and normal in single textures and then one texture with the Roughness in the Red channel, Metallic in the Green channel and Colour Mask in the Blue channel.

Some animated gifts to see that I can use a lot of different colours in a easy way being able to change it in the editor.

- Metal Trims:
    T3XVG4D.gif

- Concrete Trims:
    aBffQ3I.gif

Next step: finish the concrete, bricks, slabs, roofs, etc tiling textures!!
  • Hausestate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the metal trim and concrete material. What I don't like is those round small shapes in the middle of concrete trim. Also there seems to be some lightmap problems in the concrete trim. But like I said, the concrete material itself is really good.
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

UPDATE
    Things are starting to look good!!

I finished some brick textures and made a window in order to test the variations and trims.
    I decided to use Substande Designer to make the brick textures because I want to have a lot of diferent brick styles for my buildings. This way I can easily swap the materials and create tons of variations.

Following a tutorial by @pipesfranco, I made a complex brick generator with 3 different brick styles (2 regular bricks, 1 slab). All the important parameters are exposed so I can change them inside of UE4 and get cool variations.

lJkEzvG.png

Modeling was the next step, I wanted to be sure that everything was perfectly lined by the grid and proportions were correct.

cE7CasT.png

p5ZW2Tb.png

Following @jacob07777 breackdowns, I unrwaped the model in a way that will always tile (I also placed the seams in the grouts so is not that noticeable)

hrdb6Fh.png

And here it is the test inside of UE4. As you can see, using this method I can get easy variations with just 1 geometry. This way I will be able to make different buildings in an easy way.

iViOykv.jpg

As you can see, its the same geometry but the brick texture change, as well as the window frames which use the trim textures and the window glasses.

Closer look of it :D

6O9dVzT.jpg

My next step is to model a lot of different windows, doors, stores pieces so I can make some buildings!!

Again, any feedback will be very much appreciate it
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the last images, the windows were not snapped so thats why they look that they dont tile.
    In this one, you can see that they tile perfectly!!

Z3lVl4F.jpg
  • James.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James. polycounter lvl 6
    possibilities are endless with this method, textures looking good
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Update!!

I've made some buildings (I am only showing 1 now because is the only one finished).

HURwHZp.jpg

jnAuZjq.jpg

I still need to fill those inner gaps (the ones inside of the fences) with some terrain and grass.

Also some pavement and sidewalks were made and made a material for the sidewalks that is similar than the road so I can paint water and dirt on those too. I am not happy with the texture of the sidewalk itself (I like the borders but not the big tiles) so that is something I will probably change soon.

hhEooTW.jpg

I am also making more road and sidewalk pieces so they will be curves and crosses :D
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I've been working on a carriage :D
    VVadXgy.png
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
    subbed, this is going to be good. Can you please leave a space in between all the modular pieces in the UE4 scene to show how you stuck pieces together.

Cheers
  • Hausestate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome!!! Will you also make wall pieces without windows so there could be houses with less windows? But anyway these looks so good. Better than the Modular building set you use as preference, which I own by the way.
  • KustomZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero polycounter lvl 6
    subbed! Man I really like your building and the look it has to it. I am planing to do my first really environment scene and your approach is so inspirational! Keep up the good work
  • sventizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your materials are looking really good. I look forward to seeing where this goes. I have a question about your modular building concept. Can you tell me how many draw calls you have on that grey building?
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    that building looks great so far! this will look awesome with all different buildings

On that picture you have 2 puddles to the left that seem to tile, it would probably be better to switch one of those pieces out
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys!! sorry for the late answer, I've been really bussy with the project...

First of all I will anwswer your comments :D
    subbed, this is going to be good. Can you please leave a space in between all the modular pieces in the UE4 scene to show how you stuck pieces together.

Cheers

Thank you!! Yes, I will create a scene with all the meshes to showcase how they are as single meshes.

For now, I can show you screenshots of a 3D's max file with the pieces snapping and with space between them:

9JCZUaB.png

c7YTqvg.png

9tybeAo.png

vlZ2HrR.png

Hope it helps!! :D
    Hausestate wrote: »
    Looks awesome!!! Will you also make wall pieces without windows so there could be houses with less windows? But anyway these looks so good. Better than the Modular building set you use as preference, which I own by the way.

Thanks!!. Of course, right now there are a lot of windows because that is what I started first. I am going to make also stores soon so that way is not all windows!! But if you watch one of the Assassin's Creed Syndicate's trailers you can see the ammount of windows the victorian building had. The thing is that they have a lot of props like signs that makes them look cooler!!
    KustomZero wrote: »
    subbed! Man I really like your building and the look it has to it. I am planing to do my first really environment scene and your approach is so inspirational! Keep up the good work

Thanks!!! I will post a complete breakdown and also the theoretical part of the dissertation (if I am allowed) with investigation of different approaches and how I made kind of my own one.
    sventizzle wrote: »
    Your materials are looking really good. I look forward to seeing where this goes. I have a question about your modular building concept. Can you tell me how many draw calls you have on that grey building?

Thanks!! I can show you the stats of both buildings I've made. I'm not making them low polys as I need the geometry for vertex painting and I think now the use of gpu is not really high

Gray Building and road:
    aCFBS4t.png

Brick Building and road:
    6zSd26J.png

With everything on camera, the stats are good:
    P5BiZyl.png

Doxturtle wrote: »
    that building looks great so far! this will look awesome with all different buildings

On that picture you have 2 puddles to the left that seem to tile, it would probably be better to switch one of those pieces out

Thanks!! Yes, I forgot to vertex paint out that puddle, also I got feedback from my tutor and now they are less puddles :) I will post the screenshots with the changes soon.
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

UPDATE

First of all, I took a look at the gray building and made some changes with feedback that I got from my tutor.
    0Zgc53Z.jpg

As you can see now, textures have more detail now. I've made two big changes:
    - Vertex Painting: now I can paint another texture to the meshes to give it more detail to them.
    k7QmEke.jpg

- Texture offsert world position: this methods is awesome!! The texture (in this case the top one) will change with the object position so that way each piece will look different.

Fast:
    yziHUos.gif

Slow:
    0PQRKLd.gif

Road / Sidwalks: I increased the size of them, now the sidewalks are bigger! Puddles are less randomised. I still need to ad some drain meshes and decals like newspapers. Also I am going to change the texture of the sidewalks soon.

YrcFkoC.jpg

New building: I've made this new building!!, Don't panick yet, I still need to make the store so that way is better!! I will be able to combine pieces of this building with the next ones I am making.
    Also I will be able to create tons of variations by modifying the material instances and by remplacing or moving meshes (for example, in the first screenshot you can see that I have two type of corners).

ik4dYRC.jpg

4YwnTlW.jpg

Now I will work on some stores and some props before moving to the next building.

I know it might look a little bit flat but that will change when I put the props , decals, ilumination, etc

Regards!!
  • Bassline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bassline polycounter lvl 6
    Great work, subbed :)
  • Bassline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bassline polycounter lvl 6
    Looks Great, subbed!
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    It could be cool to have some variations in the window texture, things like the curtains being closed, different colours, or a light on inside
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work on the modular parts of that grey building. If I may ask for the material grph for the offset world position.

Cheers!
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update:

- Some props
    - Stores
    - Block out of the final scene that I will make with the modular buildings
    - Some ilumination (this is my weakest "field")
    - Changes in textures like the old "gray" building and sidewalks

LNVBAOf.jpg

MLvulYI.jpg

tOjgLPE.jpg
    Doxturtle wrote: »
    It could be cool to have some variations in the window texture, things like the curtains being closed, different colours, or a light on inside

Yeah!! Im trying (slowly) to break the tilling by doing those variations

Nice work on the modular parts of that grey building. If I may ask for the material grph for the offset world position.

Cheers!

There you go:

cyRoBEd.png

In my case I connect that multiply to another multiply that has the regular concrete texture
  • Hausestate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the grey building in second to last picture. Red buildings are also ok but man that grey building is awesome.
  • sventizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is all really looking great. Am I correct in assuming that the modularity solely exists in 3DSMax? As in, you end up exporting a single mesh to bring into the engine? Otherwise I can't figure out how it's only 1 drawcall...actually I can't see how that would be anyway since you have some texture overlays etc...right?
  • stilobique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique polycounter lvl 12
    Great ! With a night lighting, you can played with more ambiance !
  • Elrinion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elrinion polycounter lvl 2
    About the drawcalls:

It seems a bit high for just one building. That's because all the pieces as individually placed static meshes.

I got around that using blueprint to spawn an array of hierarchical instanced meshes. You can then set it so you can adjust the pieces placement and spacing in parameters. This way, it only counts as a single draw call for all the pieces, instead of each one.
  • sventizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I was thinking. I now see the draw call count and that does seem high, generally more than 3 per object is too much. I see odd values like 729.12 draw calls...that's not even possible so I'm still not convinced the numbers I see are correct. But basically having seen systems like this put to work in the past you usually need some way of glomming the data together as one unit in order for it to maintain low draw counts. If that building had less that 5 draw calls that would be awesome...
    Elrinion wrote: »
    About the drawcalls:

It seems a bit high for just one building. That's because all the pieces as individually placed static meshes.

I got around that using blueprint to spawn an array of hierarchical instanced meshes. You can then set it so you can adjust the pieces placement and spacing in parameters. This way, it only counts as a single draw call for all the pieces, instead of each one.
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    A lot of really good work here :) . Keep it up, your release date is soon if I have understand well. I know that's in progress but you could think to how break your street visually by adding volume in the ground, stuff in the middle of the road like gutter, public toiletts, Lanterns, sewer traps or big banners between facades. Add some settings like subway construction sites, little moving markets stand or mail box could be a nice add.

Looking great so far, keep on the good work :).
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for your awesome answers!!
    Hausestate wrote: »
    I love the grey building in second to last picture. Red buildings are also ok but man that grey building is awesome.

Thanks!! I think the grey building is going to be one of the main elements of the scene. It's not going to have as many props as the other buildings (because of the kind of building it is) but it looks cool.
    This is all really looking great. Am I correct in assuming that the modularity solely exists in 3DSMax? As in, you end up exporting a single mesh to bring into the engine? Otherwise I can't figure out how it's only 1 drawcall...actually I can't see how that would be anyway since you have some texture overlays etc...right?

Not really, modularity doesn't only exist in 3DsMax. In fact the modularity exists outside of videogames.

Im going to quote some text of the theoretical part of my dissertation that may help understanding modularity:
    Epic Games define modularity in level design as (Epic Games, 2015):

“Modular design is concerned with making lots of high-quality chunks of levels and reusing those chunks intelligently”.

Modularity in videogames design means the creation of assets made to be used repeatedly with another modular asset. Following this method allows the artist to create complex environments in a short period of time and with the ability to have a freedom in the design of the level.

stilobique wrote: »
    Great ! With a night lighting, you can played with more ambiance !

If I have time before the deadline I will definetly make a nigh scene variation!! If not, I will do it after the deadline :D

Elrinion wrote: »
    About the drawcalls:

That's what I was thinking. I now see the draw call count and that does seem high, generally more than 3 per object is too much. I see odd values like 729.12 draw calls...that's not even possible so I'm still not convinced the numbers I see are correct. But basically having seen systems like this put to work in the past you usually need some way of glomming the data together as one unit in order for it to maintain low draw counts. If that building had less that 5 draw calls that would be awesome...

Yeah right now each part of the building or props are not instances (they are just static meshes). What I really do is just import it, drag it to the scene and duplicate it (the materials instead are instances). I will try to make some kind of blueprint after the deadline but right now I want to focus more on the art side and be more technical after that :D

Looking great

Thanks!!

A lot of really good work here :) . Keep it up, your release date is soon if I have understand well. I know that's in progress but you could think to how break your street visually by adding volume in the ground, stuff in the middle of the road like gutter, public toiletts, Lanterns, sewer traps or big banners between facades. Add some settings like subway construction sites, little moving markets stand or mail box could be a nice add.

Looking great so far, keep on the good work :).

Thank you very much Vincent for taking the time to go through the post and give me feedback :D (for those who don't know him, he is working in Ubisoft in Assassin's Creed Syndicate so his feedback is unvaluable!! )

The deadline got extended so I have until the 25th of September, that is why I am a little bit more relaxed right now.

Definitely, that is what I am going to make as soon as I finish some props. I'm planning to add some props (which I'll write in the next post) that hopefully will break the flatness of the scene. About the construction sites and moving markets, do you think they will fit in the small sidewalks that I have right now?

Thanks again!!

I will post soon with some updates
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

UPDATE

I've made some props, although they are not textured yet! The new ones I made are the awnings, signs, letter signs and floor sign.

This is a quick list of some things that I am going to make (props/decals)

- Mail post
    - Bench
    - Planters for the windows
    - Sewer
    - Gutters
    - Flags
    - Horse poops * (it might look like a joke but if I am going to try to make some, as in that time there were a lot of horses in the streets so I guess also horse poops were common hehe

- Decal of texts for the stores: "hairdresser", "pub", "jeweller", etc.
    - Grunge decals
    - Newspapers decal
    - Leaves decal

Then I will move to make more buildings, but I really want to have tons of props in order to make it look awesome.

For the update, I also made some variations of the sidewalks, as the curbs were perfectly straight and now they have more variations. Also I added some geometry to match the slabs. That way I can extrude inwards or outwards some of them and have more detail there.
    Also the road is not flat anymore.

obvZCiI.jpg

SzZ3yY7.jpg

AKQhKny.jpg

eq3AAO3.jpg
  • Hausestate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now when you have added stuff on red buildings, they are starting to live. Looking good but still the last picture where you can see the grey building on the left side, man it just look so epic. Really detailed. I can imagine that street at night. Some volumetric fog, rain, and those cool looking light posts on.
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    Good updates so far :) . For the proping I think you just need to make some choices according to the district and the mood you want. Is it a really crowdy street ? if so a lot of street vendor with moving carts will take place on the sidewalks. At this Era London was involving really fast so maybe you can add some in progress building or scaffold in front of some facades.
    article-2258903-16CF02D2000005DC-418_634x512.jpg

This kind of city are build on the same structura than a lot of european city with a big amount of building stack to each other on the side but not the back. Most of the time you have alleys between those buildings which are dirty and darker. Could be interesting to add some arch between some building to break some lines and have a feeling of "depth" even if we stay in the main street.
    A153.jpg

I'm sure you will do it but I really think you can add a lot by adding a lot of dirt and mud in all the corner, link between sidewalks/building and even in the center of the road.

Keep on the good work it's really cool now :) .
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good updates so far :) . For the proping I think you just need to make some choices according to the district and the mood you want. Is it a really crowdy street ? if so a lot of street vendor with moving carts will take place on the sidewalks. At this Era London was involving really fast so maybe you can add some in progress building or scaffold in front of some facades.

This kind of city are build on the same structura than a lot of european city with a big amount of building stack to each other on the side but not the back. Most of the time you have alleys between those buildings which are dirty and darker. Could be interesting to add some arch between some building to break some lines and have a feeling of "depth" even if we stay in the main street.

I'm sure you will do it but I really think you can add a lot by adding a lot of dirt and mud in all the corner, link between sidewalks/building and even in the center of the road.

Keep on the good work it's really cool now :) .

Thanks!! I think the kind of main street that I want to achieve is like this one (small one, but mine a little bit wider):

rlSUbZW.jpg

P26UzEX.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE7xPBEAch0[/ame] (Min 7:30)

I will probably make the scaffoldings and archs, as I do think they are a nice add that will give variation to the street.

Right now the sidewalks have some kind of dirt on the link between the buildings but maybe it is not really noticeable. Also, those dirt and mud should be textures added with vertex painting right?

Thanks again!!
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New updates, I made more props, building with an arch, chimneys and roof (still need to change the texture)

Also I made a new store and changed a little bit more the ilumination. I also made more decals, vertex painting, etc.

5VT0YxH.jpg

YoO7GnJ.jpg

gHXcsDx.jpg
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Hey this is looking awesome! Really love the victorian style myself, so definately going to sub this! Also, can you maybe show your workflow on how you did the water puddles on the stone ground?
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas wrote: »
    Hey this is looking awesome! Really love the victorian style myself, so definately going to sub this! Also, can you maybe show your workflow on how you did the water puddles on the stone ground?

This is where I took the idea and learn about it:

https://gumroad.com/aaronkaminer

I made then my own modifications and custom things but if you are interesting in learning how to make the puddles I really recommend you the tutorial, as it shows you how to make puddles and all detailed.
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a quick showcase scene where I'll put every asset used in the scene.

I still need to make more buildings and stores (and ofc texture the assets)

RrChSPF.jpg

4TFQd9T.jpg
  • mon246
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mon246 polycounter lvl 2
    Been enjoying this thread. Nice work. Keep it up!
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some new buildings!!!

One problem I can't really fix is that the window's material is translucent and it the atmospheric fog doesn't affect the translucent materials in UE4 so thats why when they are far away they are darker...

The only solution I got is use an opaque material but I lose the transparency....

Any suggestions about the lighting? where should I position the sun?? I don't like where it is right now...

I'm going to texture some props now!! :D

xddE4NC.jpg

dnTTe9i.jpg
  • carlosbermudezdecastro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some final renders of my submission!! :D

I will wait for feedback and apply it :)

KqQBdEB.jpg

ZduBcMb.jpg

KyEU2tK.jpg

cnO5AIi.jpg

bhjKQHr.jpg

P8TgwyX.jpg

ISfIP8Y.jpg

FOWRO4K.jpg

sqVR6yu.jpg

g5yjEqK.jpg

LagS4Vh.jpg
  • carlosbermudezdecastro