Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

John The Fisherman

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
seth. polycounter lvl 14
hey all... I could do with a few fresh eyes on the textures on this guy before I fix a few hideous seams and get him posed up. Been getting back into the photoshop saddle after spending a while with substance designer, so I finally got around to colouring this guy in.

Fun fact, the legs are about three years old :D

I still have his harpoon and net to make too, maybe over the weekend.

rendered in TB2 using the U4 template

silly size here

john_texture%20regular.jpg

thanks for looking :)

Replies

• Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Great work, the materials look fantastic!

As far as crits go, I think the yellow areas are looking a bit vanilla? Maybe the extra props you mentioned will take care of that, but with that elaborate tattoo on his face I'd expect a bit of extra customization on his clothing as well. Maybe something that goes with the Aztec(?) motif you've got going with the tattoo.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkFMJ4-ai1I[/ame]

But really, it is looking good so far, but I feel it could use a bit more contrast overall.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Ohh damn this is looking sick man!!! :) I think the boots could use a little break up for the gloss ( looking a bit too shiny atm)
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I love it so far; almost feels like a modern day Queequeg from "Moby-Dick".
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Jaco: That could be am interesting twist, in my head this guy isn't much of an artisan though, I think that maybe a few more props defining his character a bit could be the way to go, Thanks man :)

Dustin: Awesome thanks man, I'm not sure that I can go back and do geo changes at this point ( he's a bunch of cannibalised bits from previous noodlings ) but I'm defiantly going to work back into the texture of the jacket and give that more of a story, and hit the ref for a better look to the shiny bits, I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the albedo being too light.

Yourname942: that's exactly where his name came from...bad lighting might be washing him out too.

disanski: thanks man, I think with another dirt pass the boots should tone down a bit, otherwise I will see what I can do, he's pretty clothy so I'm looking for nice shiny hits wherever I can get them

Joopson: Thanks very much, I will google the name :) ( not enough pictures in the book for me to read it :D)

These plus a few excellent comments on facebook have given me some great directions to push the texture, thanks tons guys, hopefully I will get time to work into him this weekend
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    john_texture%20regular%20001.jpg

so thats where he's at now...next up will be making his weapons and posing...thanks for the crits guys, hopefully I have stayed true to where I wanted him, but understood and implemented your advices as well.

thanks for looking :)