Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sawn Off Shotty

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Dmellott greentooth
Hey there folks. This is my current piece and it's the result of a Max Mad themed Art Jam between myself and some buddies. I went with the classic weapon of the wasteland.

These shots are of the high poly, still gotta go in and adjust some shapes and add some sweet embellishments before taking it to game res. If anyone has some thoughts on the current state or has some suggestions on some cool things I can add to the weapon, please share them!

References:

l9YhcDQ.jpg

yOeJTxN.jpg

FYmzzVv.jpg

HP Renders:

O3NJK4L.png

tZG9ld0.png

mWe7mUs.png

MgStfDo.png

AYjqFBv.png

zPuhMw0.png

Replies

• Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    The handle really needs to be rounded off. Also did you model the internals that will show when it gets opened for reloading (IE extractor,locking block, etc)? Also just overall you need to soften the edges big time or they won't bake well.
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Kaine, thank you for the feedback dude! Great pick with the handle, definitely feels too square. I've also loosed up my edges for a better bake, good call with them being too sharp dude. Thanks again man, much appreciated!

EeW5Pot.jpg

c2OnVNW.jpg
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    handle looks better. I'd suggest dropping the grip tape. That ref photo is the first time I've actually seen electric tape on a grip irl before. In reality, grip tape is mostly for handmade weapons that aren't as ergonomically designed and textured with grip detail. Your reference has a cool grip pattern so losing the tape will show that off better too. Lastly, the foregrip area doesn't seem to hug the barrels as much as the reference. Be sure to nest the barrel in that foregrip well so the shapes work good together.

Also lose the Mad Max extrusion on the side of the receiver, or at least make it engraved instead (not poking out). That metal receiver is strong as shit so a shallow stamped look will likely be the only way it looks appropriate.

keep going, love me some sawedoffs
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Hello folks, still picking away at this piece. I wasn't happy with the way the grip tape looked and went with something more along the lines of hardened leather straps instead of cloth. I also added some topology around the triggers as they were kinda too low and ditched the cap at the bottom of the stock in favor of sculpting in some wood damage.

My goal for this piece is to really push the texture and make it look like it's been passed around the sun-bleached wasteland.

@Polygoblin
    Thank you very much for your feedback, I really appreciate it man. I went in and made those adjustments with the foregrip being too loose around the barrels and placed the extrusion in a more believable location. I'm much more happy with the turnout after making the changes you recommended, thanks again dude.

Updates with Normal and AO. Model is sitting at 10k triangles. Will post the texture block-in very soon.

HTCkPQ8.png

kmgnAhT.png

7CWInHv.png

gnekr9M.png
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Hello everyone! I'm still a bit early on with the texture. I'm really trying to nail the wood burn effect around the Gas Boy logo and the wear on the metal. If anyone has any thoughts on how I can really push the realism and believability on the texture I am all ears!

fn08dsp.png

MTD6o2A.png

qoxC18w.png

PsCNeJO.png

zhoxbb7.png
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Hello everyone! I took another pass at the texture, I've taken another pass at most of the materials. I'm not sure if I'm set on the logo-burn or not. I kinda like how it's contrasting and it's visible but I'm not certain that it looks branded in to the wood. I would definitely appreciate some thoughts on the texture!

MMFA9s0.png

dmRTr8t.png

5t7mX9x.png

sAn5nTl.png

CCvGJIn.png
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    It's definitely coming along nicely. The metal has a nice level of wear to it. Right now the leather feels a bit too monochromatic to the wood. Maybe change the color of the leather a bit, but not too much since it is supposed to be worn out. The wood branding doesn't seem to work right now. Your edges seem too sharp and the burn out on the edges seems too large. Take a look at this reference image. It's a bit too "fresh," but you get the idea.

il_fullxfull.296129485_zps3xnxwhhl.jpg
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    @aaronmwolford

Thank you for the feedback man, I really appreciate it. I've been debating about the wood burn and I'm going to line it up more to the image you linked. Right now it just doesn't sell. I feel you on the leather matching up with the wood. I'm going to mess with the color and contrast it more against the wood. I definitely agree that it's blending in too much.

Thanks again man!
  • willehrendreich
    you could even change the leather for cloth wraps, and have a little bit of blood stain.. it would contrast well, and would add to the grungy feel of it. like the owner has seen some messed up stuff, and done most of it. hehe.
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice. Love what you did at the end of the handle with the wood cracking
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Hello everyone. Calling this one a wrap. I took another several passes at the overall texture after getting some killer feedback. Thank you for all the thoughts and critique!

Lots more renders and a Marm Viewer file over on my Artstation page.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mad-max-sawed-off-shotgun

0nh0DAq.jpg

6p561VG.jpg

x4ZWdzF.jpg

YKkZZo6.jpg
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    @willehrendreich Thank you very much for the input. I took a stab at playing around with cloth and it wasn't coming across quiet as well as I liked so I opted for leather instead.

@GrungyStudios Thank you! I wanted to challenge myself by making game res geometry that had a lot of varying angles in a concentrated area and following it through with an appropriate texture.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    great revisions made a ton of difference. impressed w the quality of your texture. great work. going to have to look over your texture flats for pointers w my own work ;)
  • [kaz]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [kaz] polycounter lvl 9
    Excellent work, the spec and materials feel perfect. Great to read through this thread and see what changes were made along the way and why.
  • Kyle KR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyle KR polycounter lvl 7
    Turned out really nice. Well done!
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    This looks great! Nice textures!
  • Coppero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it! I'd like to see the wood smoother and worn away slightly where the character would hold it, just to give it an extra kick, as it looks well used.
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    I really appreciate the kind comments and feedback guys. thanks a lot!