Home General Discussion

[Question] List of Cameras for Photo-sourcing Textures

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
I have a couple questions:
A) Does anyone know of a good camera/camera list for photo-sourcing textures?
B) What should the minimum specs be?
C) What should the ideal specs be? (within reason)
D) Would my Droid Turbo camera be good enough If I purchase a polarizing lense for it?
https://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/cell-phone-lenses/

Thank you

Droid Turbo Camera Specs:

CAMERA Primary 21 MP (5248 x 3936), autofocus, dual-LED flash
Features Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, panorama, HDR
Video 2160p@24fps, 1080p@30fps
Secondary 2 MP, 1080p

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I have a nikon D5100 that I use from time to time, the pics it shoots are hi-res enough to use as texures and with a nice overcast day it works great.

a good starting SLR could be the Nikon D3300 or a Canon Rebel T5 but I am not a super camera expert. Just going off what I have used. you are going to want a decently high resolution to capture textures and I dont think a camera on a phone is going to cut it. You might be able to get some ok shots with something along the coolpix line of cameras but I'm not sure, as I havent tried them.

anyways hope this helps a bit. if you are going to do a lot of texture photography I would recommend investing in a decent camera and really learn how to get the most out of it. cheers
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I think you can shoot texture photos with almost any SLR system from the past 5 years. Get a tripod and cable release so you can shoot ISO 100 and stop down to around f/5.6.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yep. I think it's more important to have a good lens vs. a good body.

A Refurb/used D5100 with the Nikon 35mm prime lens would be great. I used to have that setup myself.
  • tristan1590
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristan1590 polycounter lvl 3
    I have a Fuji Xt1 and a canon 6D. They are both great cameras, but the XT1 is probably the better of the 2. I shoot A LOT.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    You can get a canon t2i with 18-55 kit lens for about £200 used, maybe less if you can find a good deal. The t2i (550d) still holds up to the newer rebel models. And it's plenty for semi-pro textures. I've used it for several years for textures and HDRis with some great results. I don't think phone cameras can produce usable textures but you can always try it yourself?

Check the shutter actuations before buying a used camera though.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would not rely on a cell phone camera for reference photos, unless all you want is simple reference and aren't trying to use them as source for textures. Megapixels isn't really an important spec, your cell phone camera may have 21MP, but it's 21 million terrible quality pixels, so you won't get anything close to 21MP worth or detail.

As mentioned above, pretty much any DSLR or mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (Olympus M43, Sony NEX, Fuji X, Samsung NX) will be suitable for texture reference.

What model camera you should get depends on many different factors, how much you have to spend, what you want to do with the camera, if you want a camera small and light enough to travel or carry with your frequently, what sort of lenses you want and if they are available in this system, etc.

If you're going to pick up a DSLR, I would recommend something from Nikon, a D5300 or so would be a good choice as a starter camera. While Joost is right that Canon's latest Rebels don't really offer better image quality than a T2i, this has more to do with Canon's stagnant sensors than anything. A modern-ish Nikon will offer less noise and significantly more dynamic range than any APS-C Canon. That said, for the price you can pick up a used T2i for, you really can't go wrong there either, it will be a huge improvement over your cell phone camera.

If you want something more compact, I think Olympus M43rds mirrorless cameras offer the best balance of size, weight and image quality, and something like an Olympus E-M10 would be a good choice.
  • tristan1590
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristan1590 polycounter lvl 3
    I agree with most posts here, but I would add that Nikon and canon have fallen behind on things lately. I do a lot of texture shooting and I find the mirrorless are much better cameras, and fuji and sony have some affordable options. Fuji has the x series, depending on which camera you are looking it the focus speed and other things do differ, but they offer some great high quality sensors. It has gotten to a point where the crop factor hardly matters anymore.
    I would consider canon again but only in the new 5Ds, due to it's 50 mp size. It's a fairly expensive camera however. Between my 6D and my XT1 I find my XT1 has less noise(better lenses available in zoom), focuses much faster(when taking texture pics this actually does matter more than you would realize), and has more overall features and a key point...it MUCH lighter. The downside is it's only 16mp, but it's still a 4k image, and a great one at that.
    When buying these days my biggest consideration is focus time, what lenses are available, how heavy, and what megapixels a camera is. You can always start with a cheap model and buy good lenses for when you have more money to invest and grow.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing to keep in mind with Fuji X files, is that due to the special color filter they use, noise reduction is applied even in raw. So the files will look less noisy than a raw from nikon/canon/sony/etc, but you can apply noise reduction in post and get similar results. The unfortunate thing with Fuji files is you can't disable the noise reduction if you want to.

But I do agree, mirrorless makes more sense these days. Smaller, lighter, with comparable image quality, focus is generally faster (though less accurate for tracking/sports). This applies to most mirrorless systems, M43 (Olympus/Panasonic), Sony, and Fuji especially.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    The new Sony RX100 IV just came out too. Quite a bit more expensive vs. the old RX100 but I bet it's pretty nice.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I have the RX100 III, its the best pocket camera I've ever used, by a huge amount. Would likely be suitable for texture reference. The I and II models can be had in the $500 range.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    another vote for rx100! the best part is you can have this thing with you all the time as oppose to a giant dslr.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    ^Yes. There are so many photos I have that I wouldn't otherwise because I can put it in my pocket.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    The new Sony RX100 IV just came out too. Quite a bit more expensive vs. the old RX100 but I bet it's pretty nice.

Do you know what the price will be/ when the release date is?
  • beefaroni
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lens and body are essentially the same as the RX100 III, so unless you really need the new video-related stuff, I would go with the cheaper MKIII. Prices will probably drop on the MKIII if you can wait a bit too.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I shared the same impression regarding cell phone cameras before - unusable. But in recent models they did some magic.

So now I am using lumia phone 8mpx camera. Just taking picture series closer.

A weird thing is that with big cameras you have to close diaphragm for decent dof and low vignetting and often need tripod to shoot at cloudy weather .

While tiny cell cameras could shoot at 1/200c and f2 with much better depth at the same time still having pretty nice crispness across the corners big cameras not always do.

Beside recent phones cameras started to work swiftly . 1c to start and 0,5-1c in-between shots for a very long series. if it's not a super huge 20mpix model at least.

ps. A key thing to have an ability of manually setting up shutter speed to 1/200 and iso not to high + exposure compensation. Not all phones allow it.

Polarizing filters would make you problems half of a time since they reduce the light energy coming through and most of a time you need to shoot in a shade or cloudy weather.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, cell phones are much better than they were, and are certainly good enough for facebook photos, but if you want to use them for texture reference with 2k or 4k textures, they likely aren't going to cut it. Even though you can get wide DOF at low apertures, the noise is much worse and the detail isn't there at the same ISO settings, so you're not "gaining" anything. Additionally, it's hard to hold a phone steady enough to get critical sharpness due to terrible ergonomics and (generally) lack of a physical shutter button, and most phones do not provide raw, so you're always dealing with pre-processed, compressed jpegs.

You don't need a tripod if you use a camera/lens that has IS, and many DSLR zoom lenses do, and many mirrorless cameras have IS of some sort. Olympus M43rds have in-body IS which works with any lens, and the 2x crop of M43rds cameras means F2 is more like F4 on a fullframe camera. You can easily hand-hold slow exposures with a Oly M43, and the image quality (sharpness, dynamic range, noise), while not quite on the level of APS-C or FF, is much, much better than a cell phone.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Well, I have Olympus M4/3 and in the shade (day time) for a subject on the ground it needs iso200 and f6,4 to keep 1/200c and more or less crisp picture. IS on or off, you still need that 1/200 to have perfect crispness.

While Lumia phone can do the same ( fixed shutter speed 1/200 c) with f2,2 and iso60 and still overexposure the same ground subject a bit

Oly does better resolution/details indeed but if I keep phone closer to the ground and just do more shots in a series it turns to be no difference.

Since I photograph for photogrammetry I always need series, not just a single picture. Those series you could stitch in whatever resolution/size you need .
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure what Oly you have, but if its an older model with the 2-axis IBIS, the IS wasn't very good. The latest models with 5-axis IBIS (EM1, EM5, EM5II, EP5) are very very good and do not need 1/200th to get a sharp shot. Even the 3-axis EM10 is quite good.

Minimum shutter speed for a sharp shot (regardless of IS) depends on focal length of lens anyway, so 1/200th as a rule doesn't make much sense, unless you're shooting with a 100mm (200mm equiv) lens, as the typical rule is 1/focal length (equivalent focal length for crop cameras). With good IBIS, and a static subject, you can go way lower than that, generally up to 4 stops or so.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I have E-PM2, from around 2012. Perhaps not having super good IS. Don't use tele optic at all.
    That 1/200 is my own rule derived basically from what photogammetry software accepts well for doing nice, not too noisy geometry. Based on some Nikon DSLR cameras too.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now, actual images to explain what I'm talking about. These were shot with a 42.5mm lens, (85mm equiv) so you should need about 1/90th to get a sharp shot with the typical 1/FL rule. For argument sake, we'll start with this 1/200th number that was mentioned above.

shuttercrops.png

As you can plainly see, not only can we go below 1/200th without losing any sharpness, we can go quite a bit lower than the nominal 1/90th number as well for a static subject. This is because of the superb IBIS in my EM5II. I went to F8, 1/13, but you could probably push it to F11, 1/6 and maybe even f16, 1/3 if you've got good technique and a steady hand.

All of these shots were taken hand held with no support of any kind. Here are the fullsize images:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/shuttertestf20.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/shuttertestf28.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/shuttertestf40.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/shuttertestf56.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/shuttertestf80.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop wrote: »
    I have E-PM2, from around 2012. Perhaps not having super good IS. Don't use tele optic at all.
    That 1/200 is my own rule derived basically from what photogammetry software accepts well for doing nice, not too noisy geometry. Based on some Nikon DSLR cameras too.

Ah yeah, the EPM2 has the old gen IBIS, it's not very good/reliable.

1/200 is a solid rule if you don't really trust or know your gear well, or if you don't have IS, but you can certainly go well below that, especially if you're using wider lenses. Your phone probably has something in the range of a 28-35mm equivalent lens, with a lens with similar field of view on a DSLR or Mirrorless camera, 1/60th should be a very safe range, and with a good IS system, you can probably push to 1/10th very comfortably, and even much lower (half a second or so) if you hedge your bets and shoot a 2-3 shot burst and pick the sharpest shot later. 0.5 seconds is probably extreme, but 1/10th should be easily doable in most daylight lighting even at F8.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thank you EarthQuake. Very informative and impressive. Curious if current Nikon cameras could do the same now or it's a feature specific for Olympus.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Nikon camera with a VR (vibration reduction, what Nikon calls IS) lens should be able to accomplish the same. Many of Nikon's zooms have VR, but most of the primes do not which is a shame (primes tend to be sharper than zooms).
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Oh, cool. Good to know.
    Although I am still a bit confused why I can't get same good steady result from Photoscan of anything beyond 1\200 or tripod based while I see no actual difference in your examples.

Perhaps something in how it reconstructs geometry
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Ah yeah, the EPM2 has the old gen IBIS, it's not very good/reliable.

1/200 is a solid rule if you don't really trust or know your gear well, or if you don't have IS, but you can certainly go well below that, especially if you're using wider lenses. Your phone probably has something in the range of a 28-35mm equivalent lens, with a lens with similar field of view on a DSLR or Mirrorless camera, 1/60th should be a very safe range, and with a good IS system, you can probably push to 1/10th very comfortably, and even much lower (half a second or so) if you hedge your bets and shoot a 2-3 shot burst and pick the sharpest shot later. 0.5 seconds is probably extreme, but 1/10th should be easily doable in most daylight lighting even at F8.

Just tried to recreate geometry from series you did (pillow). Perhaps it's because of not enough parallax but I got nothing but pure geometric noise while the photos do match etch other well.

Would be interesting to test 1/25c series (same 5 pictures, just front side) with a bit more parallax ( view point shift) in photos
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikon coolpix P900 83x optical zoom?
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-P900.html

or

Sony X100 IV?
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx100-iv/sony-rx100-ivA.HTM

I'm not sure after watching this video: (The zoom quality is impressive)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfshAzV0FN4#t=36

It seems the zoom would be helpful. But I feel that it wouldn't capture as much detail per pixel compared to the Sony x100 4.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    If it's just for texture photography you'd never need that much zoom. Ideal focal length is ~50mm, this is the equivalent of 2000mm.

If you're going to spend that much it might make more sense to get a sony a7 or something similar though.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sony RX100 for sure, as Joost says the Nikon superzoom's main appeal is the crazy zoom, other than that it's a mediocre camera. But get the III or even the II model rather than the IV model. I assume you don't need to shoot 4K video for texture reference.

A7 system plus a couple decent lenses will be like $2K, so not really comparable here.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry to bump this thread.. I'm looking to buy a DSLR with a budget of up to 550 AUD, can you guys please recommend a model?

I'm really new to photography, only took couple of HDR shots with cousin's DSLR (Olympus OM-D EM-5) for a project I had for Uni.

I want to take my own textures and to make HDRis - using a chrome ball for the time being, when I'll have more money, maybe I'll upgrade for a fish-eye lens and a pano head (is it worth it?)

Thanks for the help!
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Sony RX100 for sure, as Joost says the Nikon superzoom's main appeal is the crazy zoom, other than that it's a mediocre camera. But get the III or even the II model rather than the IV model. I assume you don't need to shoot 4K video for texture reference.

A7 system plus a couple decent lenses will be like $2K, so not really comparable here.

Sony is really the company that every manufacturer has to respond to...
    Never thought I would abandon Nikon like this.

@Tzur_H

is saving a bit longer not an option?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this thread.. I'm looking to buy a DSLR with a budget of up to 550 AUD, can you guys please recommend a model?

I'm really new to photography, only took couple of HDR shots with cousin's DSLR (Olympus OM-D EM-5) for a project I had for Uni.

I want to take my own textures and to make HDRis - using a chrome ball for the time being, when I'll have more money, maybe I'll upgrade for a fish-eye lens and a pano head (is it worth it?)

Thanks for the help!

Do you want a DSLR or a mirrorless camera? What your friend had was a mirrorless. Mirrorless cameras are typically smaller with smaller lenses, which is nice if you plan to carry it around with you or have multiple lenses.

I'm not sure what the prices go for in AU, but a used Panasonic GX7 or Olympus EM5 might be in that price range. A Sony A6000 or NEX6 or something like that should be in the same price range too.

You should be able to find older model Canon/Nikon DSLRs for not much money, like a Canon T2i (newer T* models aren't much better) for next to nothing or a Nikon D5500 or so.

For 360 HDRIs, you will want a fisheye lens and a pano head, yeah. You'll also want a camera that has very good exposure bracketing. Most cheaper models don't unfortunately. I wrote up a tutorial on how do take these sort of photos as well as the gear I use (though its out of your budget): http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/hdr-panos

I think you can hack most Canon DSLRs with the magic lantern mods, which will give you better bracketing options. I've never done this myself, but I think Joost did, so maybe he can give more info.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    claydough wrote: »
    @Tzur_H

is saving a bit longer not an option?

I can probably wait a few more months and get more cash in. Problem is I'm very eager to start already :]
    I'd really like to up my game and learn more about photography and implement it into my workflow.
    Do you want a DSLR or a mirrorless camera? What your friend had was a mirrorless. Mirrorless cameras are typically smaller with smaller lenses, which is nice if you plan to carry it around with you or have multiple lenses.

I'm not sure what the prices go for in AU, but a used Panasonic GX7 or Olympus EM5 might be in that price range. A Sony A6000 or NEX6 or something like that should be in the same price range too.

You should be able to find older model Canon/Nikon DSLRs for not much money, like a Canon T2i (newer T* models aren't much better) for next to nothing or a Nikon D5500 or so.

For 360 HDRIs, you will want a fisheye lens and a pano head, yeah. You'll also want a camera that has very good exposure bracketing. Most cheaper models don't unfortunately. I wrote up a tutorial on how do take these sort of photos as well as the gear I use (though its out of your budget): http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/hdr-panos

I think you can hack most Canon DSLRs with the magic lantern mods, which will give you better bracketing options. I've never done this myself, but I think Joost did, so maybe he can give more info.

I've already started to read a lot more about HDR panos on HDRlabs. I appreciate your tutorial, it's great and I've learned some new things from it.

I don't really mind the size, or weight of the camera, I want the most 'bang for your buck' option, I'm still new to all of this and will probably upgrade in the future.

Also, I don't exclude the possibility of buying second hand from a shop / eBay - are there any specific things I should ask / look for when buying second hand?

Thanks for the help guys!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor

Yeah magic lantern is pretty much essential for doing HDR with canon cameras. Default firmware only does 3 shots, ML does up to 9. I personally still get great results with my ~5 year old T2i. after a certain point lens quality becomes much more important than the sensor to image quality.

If you only want a camera for textures and some general photography then something like a sony rx100 will be great. If you really want to do HDRis that complicates things a bit. For good results you need a fisheye lens, pano head and a decent tripod. Which can easily add up to more than the sony rx100.

If you do want to get serious about photography or do HDRis I'd definitely recommend going for an interchangeable lens system. Whether that's DSLR or mirrorless is up to you. I'm more of a dslr guy myself but I can definitely see the appeal of something like the sony a7ii. (on the high end)

Tzur_H wrote: »

Also, I don't exclude the possibility of buying second hand from a shop / eBay - are there any specific things I should ask / look for when buying second hand?

Make sure you check the shutter count. High shutter count increases the likelihood that the shutter will break. A broken shutter can cost as much as the second hand price of the camera to replace. Don't buy a camera with a high shutter count unless it's significantly discounted. You can find some great deals on T2is with kit lenses and accesoiries on Ebay.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, best bang for buck would be something like a T2i, Canon's image quality (APS-C sensor) hasn't really improved since the T2i came out for, so there is little reason to go with something newer, and the magic lantern hack will give you better bracketing than comparably priced Nikon DSLRs or mirrorless.

Joost, does the magic lantern thing allow you to fire off all 9 or so brackets with one shutter press or do you need to press the shutter for each shot?

If you go with the T2i, get it with the kit zoom (not a good lens but it will tide you over until you can afford something better, like the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 ), also get a Samyang 8mm 3.5 fisheye (also sold as rokinon, bower, prooptic, vivitar, etc) in EF mount which shouldn't cost much especially if you can find a used one, and a Canon EF 50mm 1.8 for portraits/artistic narrow DOF stuff. You can probably find all of that for around your budget.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Yep 9 brackets in 1 shot. I think it might actually be higher than 9 in the latest version, but you'd never need that anyway. Though you need a good SD card because I had some issues with it skipping frames before when I was using a normal class 10 sd card.

I own the 18-55 kit, samyang 8mm 3.5 and the 50mm. kit lens is a bit meh but it's decent for textures and general photography. 50mm 1.8 has amazing image quality but the focal length is a bit too long for some texture photography (i.e. when you want to take a picture directly below you) and the samyang 8mm is awesome for HDRis.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I recommend the 50/1.8 more for general photography and because it's so cheap. Its a great lens to learn about DOF control and things like that.