Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly HANDPAINT ArtJam | June 2015

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Odow polycounter lvl 8
w8UR29z.png
Welcome to the Monthly Handpaint Art Jam !
WZxxeim.png

Noobs and Character Artists can have their challenge, so do we! However we've decide on keeping it simple and friendly, and instead of making it a challenge, we're making it an Art Jam. A place where Handpainter can exchange technique, critique and tricks.

We welcome any cartoon concept artist that would like to join us too !
jUYndhk.png
Each month we'll provide a thematic , it could be large or it could be stricter. There will be 3 categories: Props, character and environment. You're welcome to enter them all if you want ! You can also enter in the same category more than once. We also encourage tiling texture in the "props category"
8I7DygG.png

• There's no restriction on the software or technique you use. You're a free to use brush and bake map. Our goal here is to get better and share workflow. We won't accept any war between oldschool and newschool and what is handpaint.
  • The use of photo is strictly forbidden.
  • The use of heavily photobash brush is also forbidden. Remember the goal here is to PAINT.
  • The final output should only use diffuse, alpha and glow map. No Normal, spec or bump is allowed on the model itself. However using those map as a base for your painting is allowed.
  • This is an Art jam so don't use existing stuff, there's no point in it. Re-using asset is tolerate to a certain point, use your good sense.
  • Everything have to be your work, no stealing. Collab are allowed as long as your teammates are part of polycount !
  • You have to post WIP of your work, the main goal of this, is to learn, so no final product only.
  • We encourage you to post your texture map as well as the model
  • If you participate, you have to post at least a critique on someone else work.

lmlRIAP.png
SLAqG9n.png
Nah it's not a dinosaur theme, but you better go see Jurassic world even if we all know it's going to be SO BAD.
4td9xzj.jpg
Nah not disney either, what could this month theme be ?
1okmQE5.jpg
Um.. ok ?
jCkVqOz.png
Oh now i think i get it !
In honour of the month of June, our theme will be:
Attraction Park, Thematic Park, Circus and Carnival !

*Park like Sea world or animal kingdom works as well.

This theme is super free you can do mostly anything but here's some example if you find yourself in lack of ideas !

O9ZTVhD.png
A park worker, A mascot, a dinosaur, a circus freak, a real monster, a circus act (such as a clown, a tamer or an acrobat), Shamu the whale
mHr2TZD.png
A Ride, a thematic hotel, a restaurant, an exhibit, a circus tent, etc
qzIerQ6.png
Stuff you eat, stuff you win, stuff you bring with you, a stand, a souvenir from the gift shop etc.
iTfRIV4.png
Join our Skype community group by adding me to your skype: LadyOdow . Please mention that you're from polycount or I will not accept you

Check out our Moodboard, where you can find useful information or idea, on our Pinterest Board !

Check out everything you need to know about color and light on our tips board
Check out final submission on our submission Pinterest Board !

AozL1eE.png
Even if those months are over you can still participate in them ! :)

- March 2015 [ Ireland ]
- April 2015 [ Easter Fantasy, The RPG ]
- May 2015 [ Space Garden ]

Replies

• Lukitscherie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukitscherie polycounter lvl 8
    Nice theme :)

I'll try to find time this month to make a few props, I'll like to participate for once :p
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Lovely theme! Makes me wanna do something... damn! Let's see if I find time to do something! Have fun everyone!
    (I think I already have an idea what I'll do)
  • fluor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fluor polycounter lvl 6
    Such an open theme!
    Been meaning to do something carnival-themed - perfect timing. Definitely gonna do something this month! :3
  • Megacorpse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    I actually have a super awesome idea for a post-apocalyptic carousel using Mad Max style cars. I'll see what I can come up with.
  • Applethief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Applethief polycounter lvl 5
    Hi, figured I'd throw myself in on this for a little lunch time project. I'll be making a little shambly circus wagon, I reckon, and then I'll see how much more I have time to/feel like making, but I have some characters and props I'd very much like to model as well, if time allows.

So spent lunch today putting together a quick dirty blockout of my wagon, I'm pretty happy with the shape of it so I'll probably start replacing and cleaning up parts and working towards the proper model and figuring out what I need in terms of repeating and unique textures next.
    CGqAW5mWgAAhA4t.png

Here's my sketch which I'm working from. Obviously inspired by the wagon in Dr. Parnassus Imagineerum or whatever, pretty terrible movie but the wagon was cool.
    CGfn2MyW0AAmfsf.png

Excited to see what everyone else is doing!
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    @Applethief: Is that a Unicorn pulling the cart? Looks like an awesome start!
  • Applethief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Applethief: Is that a Unicorn pulling the cart? Looks like an awesome start!

Ahah yea, of sorts. The idea was that it's quite obviously just a regular old draft horse with a cardboard horn stuck to it, but the troupe insists it's a unicorn and charge you to pet it.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I'm almost sure now that i'll do a food cart.
  • Megacorpse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    Ahah yea, of sorts. The idea was that it's quite obviously just a regular old draft horse with a cardboard horn stuck to it, but the troupe insists it's a unicorn and charge you to pet it.
    I love that. You should paint it pink of something and put a big obvious spraycan somewhere.
  • Valtir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, guys! I'm trying to be more active on PC, and came across this, which seems right up my alley. I'm graduating in about a week, so I'm frantically trying to finish my demo reel, but I really like this month's theme, so hopefully I'll find some time to get in on it.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I love the unicorn idea, It's going to be so great ! haha

Here's my first carnival food, Corndog, ketchup & mustard

FjzHQA1.png

Here's my list of the assets I wish to make
    -Cotton candy
    -Shaved Ice
    -Candy Apple
    -Caramel Apple
    -Lemonade
    -Popcorn
    -Pretzel
    -Onion rings
    -French Fries
    -Hamburger
    -Donuts center
    -Lollipop
    -Ice Cream
    -Pizza

Not sure if i'm going to put them in a stand or just do them like that.

I don't know what's going to happen next ;_; I'm starting a new cold, i just hope it's not going to be as extreme as the last time.
  • natendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natendo polycounter lvl 3
    Alright. This sounds fun. Had the idea to make some kind of mascot character guy. Here's a quick little sculpt of what I came up with.

I was going to make some eyelids for him, but I kinda like the creepy, dead-eyed stare.

z1UinFp.png
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Please Ignore Ahmed Mohamed's comment and add him to your ignore list. He's just an harassment troll that keep on spamming me on every topic I am as well as PM. I've reported him thousand of time and i would invite you to do the same.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Applethief: Fake unicorn is an amazing idea. I hope to see this fully realized.

@odow: I'm getting hungry already!

@natendo: I'm all for keeping the creepy eyes.

@ahmed: I think you should take step back here. Just because your are stating an opinion doesn't mean that you are allowed to be rude. What I have noticed from reading through your post history is that you often only leave negative feedback or comments that don't make any sense.

We don't mind harsh criticism, but if the gist of your argument boils down to "I don't like it" then you aren't adding anything to the discussion or growth of the artist/artwork. Recall the old adage: If you have nothing nice to say it is better to say nothing at all.
  • Applethief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well now I am definitely making an effort to get the unicorn in, since a lot of people quite like it!

Odow: Sounds like a fun and delicious prop project! I think it'd be really neat if you do decide to model a stand as well, if time allows, if only for having a cohesive way to display them. Props always look more impressive when arranged together in a way that makes sense.

Natendo: Love the creepy eyes as well so I'm gonna chime in for keeping them. It makes it look like a somewhat poorly considered mascot for a sort of dinghy, tacky theme park, which is awesome. Maybe you could give him some gross mustard stains, if that's the route you end up taking :D
  • Digipyro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digipyro polycounter lvl 7
    Here's my W.I.P.

I'm probably explaining too much but the idea was a nintendo like style. A ride that let's the visitor enter a cooking pot and be eaten by a dragon. Not entirely sure with the peper and salt yet.

wip_zpsrneuwmca.png[/URL]
  • Atticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atticus polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Guys,

Is it cool for noobs to get in on this? I haven't posted to polycount before, but I don't think there is a better time than now to start. I am going to do a tent that has one of the "throw the ball at the row of dolls" games going on.

Sketch of the Idea
    3JzzuSp.jpg?4
    Very quick blockout for the night
    v7KaBUS.png?2
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Digipyro: I love the idea and am looking forward to the final ride!

@Atticus: Everyone is welcome. Don't let the more experienced people scare you off. We've only gotten as far as we have by messing up over and over again anyway.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    @Atticus
    I'm completely with Darkmag on this, don't let anything stop you from participating... in fact any tournaments, challenges, competitions etc you find on this forum is open to all levels of artists so by all means just use them for your interests :)

I'll hopefully start my challenge this weekend... I'm planning on doing a cute ride :D
  • Lukitscherie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukitscherie polycounter lvl 8
    Aaw I still don't know what to do exactly, and others are already doing similar things to some of my first ideas :s Will be dumb if there several times the same things.

Time to do some more extensive researches and brainstorming for me.
  • natendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natendo polycounter lvl 3
    @Digipyro: I really like the idea. And the little wings on the tail are a nice touch.

Made some progress. Actually kinda looks like a dude in a suit now. Only thing I'm not sure about right now are his pants. Just don't know what I want to do. Shorts? Jeans? Does he even need pants? *shrug*

Anyway. After that, gonna make some stitching and tears and patches and all that stuff.

jWa8mjx.jpg
  • Digipyro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digipyro polycounter lvl 7
    @ darkmag07 & natendo thank you :)

@ natendo I think the addition of pants would be quite cool. Would personally say shorts
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    That HotGuysDog Is awesome haha , I think he looks even more creepy without pants., you would just gave him tights maybe, but i also like the idea of ugly ankle white sock.
  • entropia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    entropia polycounter lvl 8
    very lame quick concept of circus ticket booth done in zBrush, tommorrow I'll do proper low poly and start painting (I hope that I'll get some fancy ideas while painting, 'cause right now it's pretty meh)... if I have enough time (I hope I will), I'll add cashier, as I've already made a chair (not visible in the picture) for him/her/it. But first I want to do something small, so booth comes first.
    87445f417cac88bea97117b6d2b1c502.jpg

@natendo your HotDogGuy terrifies me, but I guess that's good. If your going for full-creepy stuff from nightmares leave him without pants. Otherwise pants would be nice.
    @Applethief concept looks great :D can't wait to see that unicorn
    @Digipyro you've nailed the style pretty good, I've immediately thought of nintendo, when I saw your W.I.P :)
    @Odow what can I say... sounds yummy :D
    @Atticus sketch idea is pretty cool :) it'll be my first challenge on polycount too.
  • Dvolution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
    natendo: Hot-dog man is legit. I agree with Odow, no pantaloons. I think tights are the way to go.

This topic is fun with how open ended it is, so many directions it can be taken. I'm taking it to monster town. Here is tonight's quick sketch of the Monster Circus Ring Leader.

Monster%20Circus%20Ring%20Leader_01.jpg
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    @entropia I think it'S a really good start, it just need some kicks I have some ideas you can use !: A pair of tickets on the desk. Circus act poster on the side. Maybe the cashier's wife is the beared lady he could have a picture of her inside the booth. It's wood and old maybe some carved something on it like that http://www.homestoriesatoz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/wood-carved-valentine.jpg Maybe some Xmas light on the top. I made a fast paintover during my pause

Epn7yBE.png

@dvolution I love him !!
  • entropia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    entropia polycounter lvl 8
    @Odow I love you for that idea about the bearded lady photo :D Thank you very much for this paintover :D
    I inteded to add posters on the side too, but I didn't bother to add them just now :)

@Dvolution looks great :D
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    oh the ugly crying flower are the flower clown have you know that throw water in your face haha.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Next month is up ^-^ It's a double month theme !

You can still enter any of the last past months challenge ! :)