Home Technical Talk

Single sale assets as a business model?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
JFinn_UK polycounter lvl 7
I imagine a lot of developers will avoid 3D assets on asset stores because even if they can rework them it's still that asset, is this the case? And if so do you think single selling assets (so you sell it once) is a viable business model? I imagine someone doing a themed pack and selling it for a few hundred pounds or dollars from their own store but it's not something I've seen people do

Replies

• AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Browse the Unity Asset Store or the Unreal Marketplace. I think generally packs sell better since its more bang for your buck.
  • Weso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weso polycounter lvl 4
    I'm not sure why you'd only want to sell an asset once. That sounds just like regular commissioned freelance work.

Anyway, I don't think that games developers are the real target market for asset stores (assuming you mean something like Turbosquid). Games studios would typically already have modellers employed. But say you have a film production that needs a 1-second shot of a car flipping. It's a lot faster and cheaper to buy a $100 car model than to pay someone to build a car for you.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    mrjimmy wrote: »
    I imagine a lot of developers will avoid 3D assets on asset stores because even if they can rework them it's still that asset, is this the case? And if so do you think single selling assets (so you sell it once) is a viable business model? I imagine someone doing a themed pack and selling it for a few hundred pounds or dollars from their own store but it's not something I've seen people do

why should i buy a premade pack with a set content and art style, if i could get custom made stuff from a freelancer for nearly the same price
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Most of the more generic asset packs are dirt cheap..
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    cptSwing wrote: »
    Most of the more generic asset packs are dirt cheap..

yes, but hes talking about selling each pack only once and promoting it as unique assets (if it makes sense?)
  • JFinn_UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFinn_UK polycounter lvl 7
    Hey thanks for all these responses, you guys have helped a lot
    why should i buy a premade pack with a set content and art style, if i could get custom made stuff from a freelancer for nearly the same price

That is a very valid point, although I had something in mind that might still work despite that.

However I think from what I've been reading and what others have been saying, yeah I'll just use the unreal asset store.

Thanks everyone