Gothic theme. Suggestions welcome.

H9DRGDmjpg
yvNB89Ujpg

Replies

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pongstah polycounter lvl 12
    My current progress on this character. Tell me what you think.

Blockout and detail sculpt

OFxSIeXjpgsf92Ftxjpg
  • TheWalkerGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah, this looks cool. I'm loving the highpoly and blockout. The only things i'd say are for the blockout, the area where the human and animal half meet does look kinda weird and that you might want to define the deltoids on the animal half a bit more.

Also whats your process by the way. Are you only using zbrush, using zspheres and/or dynamesh, or are you also using an external program like Maya.
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes this part is the most troublesome, I've already spent a few hours adding and subtracting volumes trying to get it to look realistic. Thanks for pointing out the deltoids, I haven't thought about that. I keep thinking that it's part of the hip when it is in fact closer to the lion's shoulder anatomy. I'll try exaggerating it a bit to see if it help with muscle definition.

As for the process, since I'm kitbashing a bit, on my older sculpts I used Maya for creating the base mesh and for the newer additions I use Max. For the helm I'm going to use dynamesh to cut the details out in order to speed things up a little. For the textures I'm thinking of trying Substance Painter.

I'm going to try a few more concept sculpts later. I'm thinking of giving him just one wing to make the silhouette look more dramatic. I might also add a shoulder guard and armor to his right arm.
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked a bit more on the lion's silhouette and added blockouts for the individual parts. I think this will be all the pieces that I'm going to include in the final sculpt.

Any critique on the pose, proportion and overall design is appreciated. Hoping to get feedback from you guys before I get into detailing the individual parts.

8zlSmDyjpggQWoeLNjpg
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turning this wip into a simple gothic garden themed diorama of miixed architecture. My goal is to make the atmosphere look dark and gloomy but not weathered/destroyed and lots of rose plants. The house will just be a facade.

fYWzVb9jpg
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty good. Since you're asking about the pose I'd just add one thing. Try not to keep it symmetrical. Give it some kind of slight twisting and gesture as if he's reacting to something. Without a pose it's hard for me to tell who he is as a character. I'm not a character artist but the rest looks spot on IMO.
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool idea, I'll try applying a twist to the body. I've been thinking about turning the creature into a statue instead of a fully textured creature to keep things simple.

Here I'm focusing on the layout, not too concerned about the detail yet. Looking at Assassin's Creed and The Order 1988 art for architectural references. Any ideas are welcome.

oCtT4DWjpg
    4XJZKjgjpg
    r4TmGvyjpg
    y9HeCsajpg