Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Resident Evil Remake mansion hall recreated with UE4

Hello everyone.

I wanted to show you a small project I've been working on for several months.

The GameCube remake of the first Resident Evil is one of my favourite games and I have always loved its mansion. So I decided to pay a homage to the game.

My goal was to make a fully detailed recreation of the mansion's main hall, modeling, texturing and lighting every one of the columns, doors, lamps, candelabras, ornaments, windows, etc. I also wanted to recreate a good atmosphere so you feel the solitude, the horror and the magnificence of the hall, by animating the flames of the candles, adding fog, rain, randomly generated thunders, etc.

And I have finally been able to finish it. There are some details that could be improved, but I would never finish and I'm satisfied with the result.

Tell me what you think of it and I hope you enjoy your stay at my own version of the Spencer mansion.

Greetings!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImuyHcpO2Hg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImuyHcpO2Hg[/ame]

Replies

• coresplendor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coresplendor polycounter lvl 4
    Omg... this is awesome! How long did it take you to make this? Damn....
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    The only thing that I can say, is that I need to find my jaw somewhere under the table. Breathtakingly good job!
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    dude... jizzz... jizz all over.... holy........
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Very Scary Feeling, very nice!
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    very well done, great work. The video jumps around a little bit for some reason. It might just be something on my end though. How many textures did this take?
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    This looks sensational. Hope you get the attention you deserve. Will you create a web page perhaps that shows texture/wireframe shots and workflow? I would be over the Moon. I'll subscribe. Also, how long did it take you to do this from concept to finish? I would be glad to play this in a VR setting.
  • PacoChan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone.

Thanks for your answers and I'm glad you like it :)

I have some screenshots of the progress since the beginning. It would be cool to make a blog or something and post more details and screenshots. But I'll have to work on it.

For the most part, my references were all the hall backgrounds extracted from the game and the models extracted from RE Umbrella Chronicles. The models made easier know the scale and proportions of all the elements, and with the GC backgrounds I tried recreate each one of them with all the detail. I'll attach one of the screenshots of the very beginning.

I've made 129 textures in total, including normal maps and roughness maps.

Gannon, the Youtube video should play at 60 frames per second, but maybe Flash player is being annoying as always.

Greetings!
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Sensational job, creating the hall faithfully is one thing but the extra lengths you went to add the thunder, rain on the windows, interactive doors etc. is really something
    I've always loved the hallway, there's no enemies and it's the first area of the game, so you can wander around and take in the atmosphere, it's a great choice

One thing though, the lighting is very warm and inviting (compared to the unsettling pale hue ingame) and the marble floor is a little darker than I remember, of course it's entirely up to your artistic interpretation but I wouldn't mind strolling around the hall as you've made it look too nice haha

edit: the lighting in the remake might have been unrealistic actually, the floor is super bright despite the weak lighting conditions of the room
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Very awesome work. Id recommend chopping down the video more tho. It becomes way too drawn out for us low attention span people these days. lol. Id show just 2 or three of those close up rotations, then just a minute or 2 of walking around in first person mode, (which is the best part imo). Awesome job man!
  • B.O.W.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    That's right!!!!
  • B.O.W.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    Very loving God works
  • B.O.W.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    This is the scene I'm currently working on the concept of art, your work seems to me the intersection! Hope to talk to you!Your work is really good, I can learn from you?

C5-1.png
    CL2-1.png
  • PacoChan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for your comments
    One thing though, the lighting is very warm and inviting (compared to the unsettling pale hue ingame) and the marble floor is a little darker than I remember, of course it's entirely up to your artistic interpretation but I wouldn't mind strolling around the hall as you've made it look too nice haha

edit: the lighting in the remake might have been unrealistic actually, the floor is super bright despite the weak lighting conditions of the room

Yeah, I tried to make the hall darker. I wanted a creepier feeling, and its true that the original one was too bright. Since it's lit mainly by candles, I wanted to have some contrast between light and shadows so you can also see the flickering of the candles.

It's true that it's quite warm. It is actually warmer without post-processing. I tried to compensate a little bit. I added some extra blue post-processing in the dirty area in the back where Lisa moans. I wanted a cold and creepier atmosphere in that area.

Hi B.O.W. You have some impressive renders. And what a coincidence. Just yesterday I found some renders of the dinning room made by you. I liked those. But these new renders are amazing. I don't know if you can learn anything from me. I actually think that I could learn something from you. I'm not very good at making textures and organic models and it takes me a lot of time.

It's nice to see people doing Resident Evil inspired works. I love their environments and achitecture.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looks awesome, great job :)

Candles look weird on top of doors though :P
  • B.O.W.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    Minos wrote: »
    Looks awesome, great job :)

Candles look weird on top of doors though :P

Your work is really too good, I am using 3DSMAX to render the scene at the moment, I do not use UE4...
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey!
    Amazing work. It inspires me to work on this kind of architecture.
    Just one question though, don't you think you could have used a higher poly count?
  • B.O.W.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B.O.W. greentooth
    Your work is great! There is room for improvement in your work. GI you can try to adjust the lights. And expand the chandelier ceiling lamps wall lamp illumination range. The whole is more bright. And a good foil atmosphere. The light intensity can weaken some lens effect.
    Here is your suggestions for improvement.
    Great job I support you
  • Neoekamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoekamp polycounter lvl 5
    This just popped up on NeoGaf lol. This is great, have you made any improvements?

Can't believe I missed this the first time :[
  • Papigiulio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Papigiulio polycounter lvl 5
    Holy shit, this is great. You really captured the mood there. Some user said the candles above the doors are weird but I disagree, the only problem I had was that the chandelier was not completely attached to the top of the door.

Also I'd definitely add some kind of triggerable event when looking at the paintings that it suddenly turns evil or something. (granted not part of the RE game but still would be nice).

definitely looking forward to updates. Id love to see you remake the police station in RE2 :P
  • kevinjohnxson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kevinjohnxson polycounter lvl 2
    ahhhhhhhhhh so good
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Amazing work mate!
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    Great work! So much attention to detail. I love the water on the window panes, and the lightning lighting effects.