Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1P78 2.8x Magnification scope

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
BLACKMETAL polycounter lvl 9
Lowpoly of russian 1P78 2.8x Magnification scope done for Arma3 RHS mod. Any suggestions or crits are welcomed :)

vadim-spiridonov-1.jpg?1430335588
vadim-spiridonov-2.jpg?1430334089
vadim-spiridonov-3.jpg?1430334539
vadim-spiridonov-5.jpg?1430334095
artstation https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1p78-2-8x-magnification-scope

Replies

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Right now it's pretty shiny still and for the type of material it looks like it is, I would expect a little less. Not by much but a bit. Specifically talking about the material on the main cylinder and whatever you want to call the part that attaches it to the gun. Everything else is looking pretty good to me though.

How low poly is it? Wireframes? And why a 2k texture for something so small?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I think the material is fine. It's probably due to the intense light. But Google images show the material read to be very similar to the material in real life.

The noise on the metal does seem a little low-res. for being a 2k texture though. But the model itself looks good.

2k may be a little over kill, but for a first person perspective weapon there's some justification in having the triangle count and texture size a little more than what is normally used for something of this size, since it will be seen from up close.

Mind posting a wire frame shot? I'm curious.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Nice Kashtan! It might be a little bit glossy, hard to say. And is that an AK-105 I see it on?

I'm curious, what is your involvement with RHS like? I'd be quite keen on adding stuff to arma but oxygen2 is possibly the worst program in the world. Do you just hand in the model + textures and they set everything up in engine? If so, how do you go about calibrating textures for arma's engine?

And if you do use o2/buldozer, any guides/tips? Every time I try it it's just helplessly broken. Bulldozer has a million errors trying to start, o2 has horrible import compatibility, and don't even get me started in setting up RVmats...
  • planetpolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    planetpolygon polycounter lvl 5
    Looks great. Could you please post wireframe and textures ? Thanks
  • BLACKMETAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for crits everyone :)

nickcomeau, nah 2k is good for scope, you see it up close in game.

Bek, thanks, it's ak-74m i did a while ago. I did some things almoust completle integrated, but mostly i just did models with textures for mod without integrating it in, because adding stuff in engine is pain. I can recommend checking this and this on shading ingame.

Updated a bit textures considering crits:
    vadim-spiridonov-1.jpg?1430919741
    vadim-spiridonov-3.jpg?1430919744
    vadim-spiridonov-2.jpg?1430919742
    vadim-spiridonov-5.jpg?1430919746

vadim-spiridonov-2222.jpg?1430919830
    vadim-spiridonov-sheet.jpg?1430920489
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Well that metal is gorgeous. Fantastic work. Hopefully I'll see this is RHS sometime soon and I can get my VDV on.

I'm curious though; I assume you have to convert your textures to a regular spec/gloss for arma, right? So why use metalness?

And thanks for those links, I might have to have a crack at arma's tools again sometime.
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
  • BLACKMETAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek, it's already ingame with recent update, only thing that it's old version there, but i update it in near future hopefully :)
    PBR is more esteticly pleasing to make and you can always convert it to spec\gloss easily.

The Lone Penguin, thanks man :)
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Beautiful renders! :) Solid work!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Oh sweet, I haven't updated RHS in awhile, I'll have to do that. And fair enough; I suppose going from metalness to spec/gloss is quite simple. I quite like metalness as well for working.