Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] The Last of Us / Walking Dead inspired scene

Latest screenshots:

Cn5p9bb.jpg
x5zjuYk.jpg

Original post:

The project is a WIP!

Hello! School and my final year game project are over now, so I finally have time to do some personal work. I've decided to take one of the locations that I didn't get to finish properly during the school project, transfer it over to a new scene and use it as a base/blockout for this project.

I'll be making an abandoned farmhouse (interior and exterior), inspired by The Last of Us and Walking Dead, I'm a big fan of both, so it should be lots of fun!

The interior will be a living room, corridor, upstairs room, *maybe* a kitchen although I might drop that. Still collecting reference and brainstorming the exterior, but so far I am thinking to have a windmill, *maybe* a barn, tall grass/ plants, a dirt road leading out of the house, with the front part of the house being a larger open grass field followed by a forest, while the back is blocked off by trees.

Here are some screenshots of what I have at the moment, it's super rough, just the old work transferred over and base lighting set up, the plan is to use it as a starting point rather than starting from scratch.

N8CjYJM.jpg
Fthlt2Y.jpg
pneVz6I.jpg
kXBNrFT.jpg
7U1vi03.jpg
TAubXnl.jpg

Right now I am hunting for reference and will be blocking out the exterior. Then I will be looking into whether I should extend the house or not, it feels a little small right now looking at it with gameplay in mind, there's not a whole lot of space inside to move around :S. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated! :)

Thanks

Replies

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Great job! The lighting and texturing came out beautifully :D It looks like maybe you had some baking troubles on the couch? Like on the arm and top of the pillow.
  • 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    The lighting looks way better now. Can't wait to see more updates on this.
  • ed_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! The artifacts are lightmap issues as currently most of the things don't have proper lightmap uvs :)
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hello Edvinas,

You did the Breaking Bad cabin :) You have your own style and I like it. I like the mood and you're very good with interior lighting.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looks good...will look great once you add the wear and tear. Lighting looks great so far. Some of the wall corners look too sharp and polygonal...I would add some small subtle bevels to smooth those out.
  • ed_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kai, heheh thanks
    DanielR17 wrote: »
    Hello Edvinas,

You did the Breaking Bad cabin :) You have your own style and I like it. I like the mood and you're very good with interior lighting.
    Hey, yeah I did! Thanks man :)
    slosh wrote: »
    Looks good...will look great once you add the wear and tear. Lighting looks great so far. Some of the wall corners look too sharp and polygonal...I would add some small subtle bevels to smooth those out.
    Thanks slosh, yep you're right about the sharp corners, I'm redoing the whole house using new modular set as I rushed it previously and it got a bit messy, so I'll make sure to bevel the corners this time :thumbup:
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
  • bionicman31
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really great, however I think it looks a bit clean? Obviously don't mess things up for the sake of it, but some signs of story would be great. Did the people rush out of the house? Were they evacuated? Environmental storytelling would really add heaps to this!
  • wilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good bro!
  • Zinco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zinco polycounter lvl 3
    Hiya! Looking really great: absolutely loving the lighting in the bedroom :)

Main crit I would have is you have quite a few baking/ soft-hard edge errors going on. If you're going to keep these shots for portfolio I would try sort these out.

Otherwise looking great :D

dOdw6EU.jpg
  • Rodan4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rodan4 polycounter lvl 7
    Very atmospheric lighting. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Great work.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    the walls look a little sharp, you can add a little bit more geometry there just to make it look a bit nicer because you are presenting it in your portfolio also looks like you have already been caught out for the some of the texturing errors but other than that nice work
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    Despite a few texture errors, this is looking awesome!
  • ed_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies! I had to jump to another project for a bit, so haven't had a chance to update this, but I'm finally back and can focus on this project again :)

Regarding the shading/ texture errors, as I've mentioned they're lightmap errors because the assets in the screenshots don't have proper lightmap uvs. The project is super WIP, still a looong way to go, so all of it (the interior assets especially) will get redone/fixed, and the storytelling and destruction will also happen later don't worry! ^^

I have started to test some ideas for the exterior. I'm thinking to have a broken off barn (which may or may not have a horse stall, and there may or may not be a horse(s) roaming in the fields), and a dead wheat field which is almost taken over by tall grass and plants. The area around the house will be overgrown by medium to tall grass and some common plants. I'll probably keep the exterior quite open instead of completely closed off by trees, because I want to play around with some of the new features I recall being mentioned for UE4 4.8 release.

Onto the house, I've started redoing the structural meshes to get the topology and uv's nice and clean, so they wouldn't have shading or lightmap errors.

Removed the garage as it wasn't making sense to me, replaced it with a small extension to the house. Also have added another extension at the back of the house which will serve as a laundry/utility room (similar to the one inside the ranch house of The Last of Us) as well as additional lightsource and exit/entry point to the house.

Thirdly, I removed that big-ceiling-box-thing from the living room which was essential for the staircase, but was making the room feel much smaller than it actually was. It meant I had to redo the staircase so it wouldn't be sticking out through the ceiling, but I think it's for the good!

KtP0uXv.jpg

f0mOua8.jpg
    fENs6B6.jpg
    Y1NEct2.jpg
    rHXdfHQ.jpg
    wv9OfDE.jpg
    Yopb019.jpg
    uFsKGYY.jpg

Lastly, I finally have a chance to learn how to do ivy. Couldn't find a whole lot of info on how to do them besides few old tutorials, so what I ended up doing was use the Ivy Generator on a flat wall with the leafs turned off to only get the stem-thingies, which I brought into Maya, cleaned up and hand placed leaf meshes onto it, then I baked it onto a plane and set it up in ue4. I need to make some variation and also push individual leaf cards into the plane so it would look less flat. Any tips for making and placing vines are very welcome! :D

high poly:
    ldMF9e1.jpg

low:
    0gUaWWb.jpg
    JXCSjfd.jpg
  • ed_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm redoing the interior rooms this way now, where each room is one single mesh with the ceiling, floor and walls all being connected, so that the lighting bakes well without any ugly seams or light bleeding through. It breaks off where ever there's a doorframe, so the seam can be hidden there

DuliYKG.jpg
    fxfAroe.jpg
    cjeMI44.jpg
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Subscribed! This already has a great atmosphere and I'm really excited to see you push it even further.
  • ed_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! For the breaking bad scene I left foliage till very late in the project and then ended up rushing it and had it looking quite awful, so to not repeat the mistake I thought I'd work on it early this time. I spent most of past week looking into games that have pretty foliage like Crysis 3 and studying it to try and understand their approaches. Learned quite a bit and figured out some nice techniques, especially for ivy, so will be putting it into practice soon and might also write up a tutorial for anyone interested :)

Started working on and setting up some ground foliage, the grass has been a nightmare but I think I finally got it to look better. Started blocking out the barn at the same time as well, still super rough, not sure yet if I'll keep it red paint with most of it being chipped/worn off, or just plain bare wood

Some screenies:

SudNRyV.jpg
    Hez5Y0X.jpg
    IJFdqJs.jpg
    EntY2sq.jpg
    cTLnnLi.jpg

High poly dandelion:

GFC8XGE.jpg
    90sMUnt.jpg

High poly grassblades:

3MYpvjD.jpg
  • heklis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heklis polycounter lvl 9
    I'ts amazing. Dandelion looks great. Each tutorial is welcome. They will also some vehicles in feature ?
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking very interesting indeed. Loving the grass.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    Holy crap I thought those field pictures were real. this is amazing man. Lighting is well done, beautifully well done. Keep it up !
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    The grass looks great but I think the wheat could still use some work. The wheat is looking very plain and thick
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    why i iddnt i sub this on the first hand :P
  • ed_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! Haven't updated this in a while but just wanted to let you know that I am still working on the scene :). Here is some work in progress of the interior, will post more later

Cn5p9bb.jpg

and the outside, not done yet either, just wanted to work on the interior

x5zjuYk.jpg

Still quite a bit left to do, but any input is welcome! Sorry for not posting more frequently, I decided to take a break and also work on the scene more before I start posting it here

cheers
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looks good so far. looking forward to this
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    really liking it
  • Dvids
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvids polycounter lvl 4
    ed_3D wrote: »
    Learned quite a bit and figured out some nice techniques, especially for ivy, so will be putting it into practice soon and might also write up a tutorial for anyone interested :)

That grass looks so very lush, I wonder how you did it. So a tutorial would be super welcome.

Looks great so far! I this is gonna turn out really nice since you seem to really take your time to make it shine :thumbup:
  • Papigiulio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Papigiulio polycounter lvl 5
    Oh my, that is coming along nicely. Love the dustiness. Good job on removing that weird block (stairs) in the earlier edition, looking much better now. Subscribed!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    This is look so badass man, doing well :D

For your rooms, if you give the floor, walls and ceilings some thickness then they'll start to give you some nicer bounce lighting in your lightmaps :)
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Last of Us Vibes, I love it! !Keep on going!
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    I would like to pre order your unannounced comprehensive breakdown and tutorial series based on this project. Thank you.
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    This is looking fantastic man! Really atmospheric and well made. Love the little details, and really inspires me to make something like it!
  • ed_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys, glad you are liking it! Means I'm on the right track. Excited to get it finished :)
    Swarm22 wrote: »
    I would like to pre order your unannounced comprehensive breakdown and tutorial series based on this project. Thank you.
    Haha! I will do some breakdowns and tutorials just4u ;)