Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy/Medieval RPG Materials

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
FULGORE greentooth
Posted in the WAYWO thread, but then realised a few green channels needed flipping..

So I had a free afternoon, and after watching one too many Witcher 3 videos, I wanted to make some ground materials :)

Mats_01.png

Replies

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    I hear ya on the Witcher videos. The grass and rocks look very nice. The tiling isn't noticeable at a first glance or even a second glance and the colors look natural. I'm really fond of the horse tracks but the second texture feels way to desaturated even for worn down trampled dirt. You could afford to add some more color interaction even though your are leaning to the left of the saturation slider but that critique is based on my personal preferences.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    It's look pretty awesome :D the one thing I'd say is the thin tee tracks are a bit too hard and consistent at the moment. Maybe something like the tire tracks in the back of this? I have to just post a link cause I'm on my phone lol http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Land_Rover_Series_III_mud_bogging.jpg
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    I'll add more cart wheel tracks and vary them a bit. Thinking of cutting them into the main terrain geometry instead of floating strips once I've added some more and I'm happy with their positions. Could help to give them actual depth.

Seems like the finer details in my normal maps show up far better in Marmoset than in UE4, but someone at work suggested that I see what it looks like when deferring compression.
    Plus it could be partly due to the tiling set too low in UE - I'll get better perspective if I get a barrel or something in the scene perhaps.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Gave the mud a bit more saturation, the puddles are a bit lighter, and I'm masking the planes of wheel tracks on the 3rd UV Channel with a 1024 texture:

Next thing on the list is to get the planks of wood sculpted and also vertex paint some caked-on mud around the edges and corners :) Plus I think I could stand to increase the tiling of the ground textures a little.

Mats_03.png
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tire tracks are looking MUCH more natural now I like it a lot. One thing I was curious about is the sticks/dead grass that are on the round here. Do they have normals or a height map or anything on them other than a diffuse? They look pretty flat, just like a picture got placed on top.

gijDEgR.jpg
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Been working on making some roof tiles, with many UV channels and many masks (because I've only just figured out how to do this in uE4.. -__-)

Mats_04.png

The simple process here
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    And the straw does have its own contribution in the normal map, but the finer details are showing up better in Marmo than in UE4 :/ the rough mud normal details around the imprints aren't really visible in UE either
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh gotcha. UE4 >.< lol I like the shingles. I would maybe add some slight color variation to them as well? I see a few are darker than the others but they are all still relatively similar.

lmmissionbrown.jpg
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Little foliage and stuff update after playing about 8 hours of the Witcher 3 :D

(ignore the straight rows of identical grass in the middle ground - it's time consuming to place them all properly, so for now they're just kinda.. there)

Mats_07.png

Novigrad is a goldmine of reference, and so damn cool. Also I'm going to redo the roof in a way that's easier to manage, I think. So I can work in more colour variation.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Second foliage layer WIP

foliage.png
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I really like it so far! Minor critique, the hoof prints feel a little too small right now, compared to the foliage and planks. I'd say they should be close to (maybe a little less than) twice their current size.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth