Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: Quixel to Maya render workflow

martin242
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
martin242 polycounter lvl 5
I'm considering getting the Quixel Suite but have a few questions.

What would be to workflow to render a similar result from what I see in 3DO in Maya?
I want to use Mental Ray or software rendering shaders like Blinn, PhongE and the like.
For example I can use the same IBL in Quixel and Maya, but what shader should I use in Maya to plug the DDO exported maps and get a similar look?
Where do I plug Specular and Gloss maps in a Maya Blinn shader?
Do I have to tweak the maps or are they good as they are exported from Quixel?
Thanks!

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya is not my area of expertise, but as far as i remember, Gloss -> eccentricity, Specular -> Specular.
    The version of Maya that I am using does not support PBR (as far as I know) so I use the calibration profile "Last Gen". Im not sure if Maya has implemented support for PBR in later releases.

I´m sure there are some people here on the forum though that could shed some more light on how to get the best results when rendering with maya.
  • martin242
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martin242 polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you Eric,
    I'll try that. Maya 2016 comes with a PBR shader called Stingray PBS but didn't try it yet. Anyone here did?
    Anyway, I think you can't render that shader with MentalRay or Turtle renderers and that's what I need.
    It would be nice from you at Quixel to add some tutorials about how to take what is made in Quixel Suite to popular apps like Maya and 3dsmax and get a similar result as in 3Do.