Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Saint Mont Michel Environment

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
Hey all, these are a few screenshots of one of the environments I plan to put in my demo reel. The Medieval Village is based on the Saint Mont Michel, castle island, which was completed last year, but had recently gone back to fix some things. I know there is a few things still wrong, or wonky, but I will address those at another time! Just looking for some feedback! Thanks!

J1fskI4.jpg

KxXoown.jpg

NiUevoi.jpg

0WCNRoN.jpg

Thanks!

Replies

• Arkana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkana polycounter lvl 8
    I really like the 1st and 2nd pictures, although in the last two the lighting and composition seems very poor especially on the ground.

I like a lot of the assets, but some of the haybales, boxes, and barrels just seem to be thrown in there to fill out space rather than how people would really leave them around.

I'm not sure if it's just because of that because it makes me think the last two images of more of a ghost town than anything else.
  • ValXVI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for such a quick reply!

Yes, I would agree with the lighting! I have been having a hard time with the lighting from the start with this one. I have to go back and mess with a few things, really dive into it more. Lighting is a whole other project in itself!

For the assets laying around the scene, again I agree with you. This was completed for an assignment and trying to "fill" the space and make it seem semi populated was a lot tougher than I had accounted for, and with such a large space, it was time consuming. I will probably go back and place things accordingly to make it more believable. Although a few times I had thought about having it abandoned because the idea amused me a bit.

Thanks again for some feedback though!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, some of these I had done some post process work in photo shop, which might be causing some lighting issues as well.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Stayed in one of those houses recently. :) (It's Le Mont Saint Michel, btw.)
    Well, not exactly, of course, but the vibe is definitely recognizable, so you did a good job, there.

In addition to what Arkana said, I think that everything looks a bit too straight, especially when it comes to the wooden beams.
    Also I'd imagine it to be quite a bit more colorful, but that's up to you.

Those lamps look a bit impractical, you could have some clotheslines for a similar effect.(With the added chance of adding some more color)

Some details look stuck together and elements could be blended better together and with their environment. (E.g. you have a wall that's mossy everywhere, no matter the orientation or situation and next to it wood without any moss.)

What engine/technique are you using? The lighting looks uneven in some areas. Some shadows are too dark while others seem to bright. Are you using any AO?

Some textures seem flat as well and maybe would benefit from some fill light to bring out the normals.
  • ValXVI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    It's in Unreal 4, and I suppose I should post the full shots from ingame, rather than from photoshop!. Yeah I have a lot of little things to keep in mind, and to do detail work.
  • ValXVI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    So I have been doing a quick update, and this looks A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER with banners.

txs8Rz5.jpg

This is just a quick test in engine screen shot, going to place them better.

Also, the lighting from in engine looks a lot better than the photoshop adjustments I made.... hmm...going to fix that!
  • ValXVI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    So here are a few "just about finished" shots, looking a lot better with fixed lighting and also adding the banners.

nf9WLMY.jpg

4prXxWG.jpg
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    I like the banners, but you could still introduce some more colors into the environment as a whole.
    Right now its the earth tones of the buildings and the two color banners.
    Maybe add a blanket hanging over a windowsill, make those signs more interesting and readable etc.

One of the biggest problems right now are the dark shadows, though. The very first picture was much better in that regard.
    Haven't worked with Unreal, but I'd guess you have some HDR options, so you can make those shadows lighter in camera even with little light present.
    But the better way would be to get more
    (bounce) light and light from the sky to reach these places, too. Right now it almost looks like you simply had an ambient value and no GI. (Or at least the ambient value seems dominant and the GI adding very little. )

And some AO, best baked into the lightmaps if you're baking any.
    (Or realtime detail AO if that's enough. ) Can't quite tell if there's any, but it for the most parts it seems to be missing.

And then some post effects for good measure, but I'd get the base image right, first.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Noren about the lighting and shadows. The lighting as it is now is really bringing this piece down. If you can work some more on the lighting I believe it will really pay off.
  • ValXVI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the feedback all! Keep it coming!

I really am glad the banners worked out the way they did overall. I do agree that more colour could work really well, a blanket or something else up high in the windows could be a really nice touch.

The shadows and lighting in the first images have been retouched in photoshop, and if you look the shadows are all wrong (there are none!) Having played a bit more with the lighting, I am getting closer I feel, but still need to do some more research. This project has given me problems with lighting in that regard.

These are my latest updates, and before I am more so done with the project I'd like to add more colour, blankets or something would be nice as well.

y3WiGCN.jpg

nAnsPO4.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    try adding ambient light or turning it a bunch up to simulate global illumination
    shadows are never black , take a slightly tinted complementary color at best such as purple, which is a usual shadow color
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Hi ValXVI, nice work :) i'm not skilled enough to establish good feedback. But if the place (the modelisation) you're working on is located in France, you should say "Mont Saint Michel" :)
    Wish you good work and succes :)
  • poageboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poageboy polycounter lvl 4
    Hey, I really like what you've got! I have a few comments and suggestions:

1. I like the flags, definitely cheers up the place!

2. I made a similar scene once, and I always regretted not adding some garbage to it. Little piles of random trash can help a scene feel alive and give evidence of the characters that might live there. Maybe some grungy newspapers sitting in a puddle, or a cart with a few piles of rotting vegetables.

3. It's a little difficult to establish historical context from your scene, which also contributes to it feeling like it lacks life. Is this set in medieval times, or is it a modern, historical village? You could add one or two props in noticeable places (like right by the well) to make it more evident.

4. I would consider adding a few more sources of light. Some lamps near doorways or light spilling from the windows could brighten up the scene at the player's eye-level.

5. I always like it when old buildings made of plaster and wood are crooked. You could swiftly add a bit of wonky-ness to the scene with ffd's (3ds max) or the lattice tool (maya). Making the silhouettes nice and curvy would add some character to the buildings and breakup the tiling.

6. Overall I think it's an ambitious scene with a lot of detail but it would benefit from another polish pass if you have time before putting on a demo reel. I think that your war-room scene is stronger and a bit more focused. I'd probably lead with that for your reel.
  • ValXVI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    This is some awesome feedback and I am slowly making progress. I probably won't be able to implement everything from the feedback everyone has given in time for when I have to have my reel due. Afterwards, I will be able to make the reel a lot better by fully implementing these changes. So far, I am looking for banner colours that would really match the scene well. I also plan to make a few single hanging ones underneath a lot of the overhands in my scene, but I feel it might become too much. Looking for thoughts on my ideas. Also with what I have, was wondering if the banners up top are too much as well.

Also I was going for more of a medieval time period, for the most part.

Thanks!

oyb9Hn5.jpg

nm10dYW.jpg

These are directly from engine with no photoshop effects, which I plan to do in order to get that beauty shot just right, maybe lightening up the dark parts as well.
  • ValXVI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    Alright lots of updates. Let me know what you think. I think this is just about all I can do before I have to turn in my reel, but I will keep at it later on though!

Vs8yjDC.jpg

oDrxo8x.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a nice environment if a little sterile. The ground is absolutely flat, for example.

However, the largest problem (as noted earlier) is the lighting. Shadows fall to black, there's no bounce ... it looks like a harsh dynamic light is slamming into the environment and stopped dead on the first pixel it hits.

If you have ANY time left to spend, spend it on lighting. It will pay off HUGE.

Nice work, this is a lot of modeling and texture work, damn!