Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4: Vadima's Sanctuary

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
I decided to recreate an old Pirate101 interior I did in UE4. Here's today's progress, I sort of spent too much time goofing with lighting.

Reference
vadima_ref_01.png

Block Out
vadima_wip_01.png

Replies

• Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I love this idea. Are you going to make the area that's behind camera right now?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, going to make the whole room. I'm going to go overboard on the clutter, I was limited by the specs of Pirate101 when I made this, I want a bunch of weird stuff on the shelves other than a few books and alchemical supplies. I'm going to go all Guillermo Del Toro on the bookshelves.

Today wasn't that productive, anyone have some advice on good candle flame shader? I'm going to have around 200+ candles in this scene so I want it to be fairly light in performance hit.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I spent too much time trying to get a nice flickering candle flame, I decided to put off any fancy FX until the end. First pass on the candles, finished cauldron and started on the sculpt for the table.

vadima_wip_02.png
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    That pot/bowl is looking good. Nice mat
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ended up doing a cloth sim on for the tablecloth in max, then adding a fibermesh fringe in zbrush, the groom brushes behave really weird. I'm not completely happy with the fringe, I'll have to come back to it later.

table_cloth_01.png
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sculpted some stones but I didn't know about this technique until I was finished. I didn't start out with a reference plane so the offsets don't work correctly in zbrush :(
    zstones_01.png
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is awesome man. I started something similar but got sidetracking. You're making me want to finish now. Are you going full PBR with everything too?

As far as the tiling stuff make sure to check out

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/environments-with-tate-mosesian/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLTRTTOgTAM
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I originally started with the Tate tutorial but I wanted tightly fit stone blocks so I ended up building a base mesh in zbrush, it's only 12 blocks so not too rough. I wish I could get a better look at his textures, I have some tiling stone photosourced textures but they ended up way too noisy. In the end I poly painted it with various alphas.

The good news is I was able to start a new tool with a plane, append the already finished bricks and the displacement values work correctly.

toolbag view since it's faster to work with
    stones02.png

albedo, normal
    roughness, height
    stonemats01.png
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Loving that table man!

I don't know if it's the cubemap or your texture, but your stone is looking pretty green overall. It looks like that in the original environment, but I think leaving the green to a moss blend would be better. The one stone with the corner broken stands out a lot in the tile too.

If you're looking for another method for tiling sculpts, look into this by Anthony Vitale. It's working pretty well for me so far in my own sculpts.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    I'm really loving the style you've chosen to do this in! Very well done. For the brick that you have, maybe just add sliiiight color variation between some of the stones. Right now it is looking very uniform and while the stones are generally the same color they usually have minimal color variations. It'll also just make it look a bit more interesting and readable.