Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Terminator

3sm
Hey. Over the weekend i've started working on my next "portfolio piece". Hopefully this is a good pick, that will cover major parts of beeing a character artist: likeness, anatomy, clothes/folds and hardsurface (i'll try to model his weapon - never done that before). I would like to push this one as far as i can - just to see where i am atm. Most of the stuff i know i've learned from reading this forum (aka lurking), but reading and working on your own gets you only up to a certain point, so i'll try to be more active member :)

Anyway here's where i am with it so far - any crits are more than welcome.

0FyK6D8.png

Replies

• OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
    its a very good pick IMO, likeness is getting there, is this the same body used for the wolverine piece? Good luck!
  • 3sm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3sm
    @JoshuaG: yea i know where your are coming from, it would be much cooler - sorry for the disappointment :(

@OctoKube: nah my anatomy knowlage and sculpting of it isn't at the point where i could start cutting corners, so i'm doing everything from scratch (zshperes and dynamesh) for every project - it's a good practice i feel and i'm not under any deadlines anyway. Thanks!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    great start man! Lots of stuff to work on, and I'm sure you know that but here are a few suggestions...

Head is too small, feet too large.
    Ankles look very thick. thigh is sorta bowed out. Bodybuilders want to have an "outer sweep" like this with the quads but its not rotated correctly. Like the ham strings would touch between the legs and knees would be facing outward more to look like that. knees might be a touch low as well.
    mouth looks a bit wide, and forhead a bit large. The chin might be too long as well. Ears look a little small.
    biceps a little long.

Anyway, nice work here. Looking forward to seeing more!
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Nice stuff
  • 3sm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3sm
    @BradMyers82: Thanks for the crit - i've changed some things on that list but there's more to do hopefully on next update. One thing i didn't quite understand was the crit for thighs/hamstrings - do you mean that the area under hamstring muscles (area between hamstring tendons) should be rotated outward more? Thanks again.

@Deathstick: Heh, thank you. I hope you'll be back.

Update:

dXeqdz5.png
  • 3sm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3sm
    Smaller update than i wished for but update non the less - took a break from anatomy and started blocking in clothes. Not happy with the wrinkles that i have so far - i'll play with them some more.

BfsLZ69.png
  • 3sm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3sm
    Chipping away at it.

zty3HA5.png
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    nice work, the pants look a bit too tube-like.
    those large quads he has surely produce some stronger folds on his lower legs.
    the jacket seems to go in the right direction, some of the shapes could be tighter, but i'm sure you'll get to that.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice updates dude! I actually bodybuild myself so I just notice lots of stuff other people might miss. Here's what I mean, a bodybuilder with developed legs will have that area between his legs touching if his knees are pointed outward like you have them. This is because the development of the hamstrings in the back come in and touch below the glutes.

Gunter_Schlierkamp%20(271).jpg

and here it is on arnold.

8b672-arnold_front_double_biceps_sickkk_quads_.jpg

So when you show him now with pants and thee is that big gap inbetween his legs it looks really off to me. with pants like these they should be tight in those areas and the amount his legs are touching with the fabric would be greater. Another thing to look at is the bottom part of the bicep. Even though arnolds arms are huge there is always a gap between the bottom part of the bicep and the forarm. It doesn't hang like that. I notice a lot of people do that because they think "big round biceps" but in reality they aren't that shape when in a relaxed pose like this. Anyway, good work here man looking forward to seeing more!
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    You should post better images of the head. Likeness here is important and it's hard to see anything from full body shots...