Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted textures practice

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hupie polycounter lvl 12
Recently i started doing some handpainted rock textures and i want to do many more and also other materials. I have only minor hand painting experience, but i want to get better at it and I think it will support my acrylic painting skills as well and vice versa.

Most of the textures below are done by grabbing a reference photo from cgtextures and try to catch the essence of the rock in about 45 minutes. The rocks are maybe a bit too realistic and not so stylized at the moment, but i think I will practice that over time.

handpainted_tileable_rock_texture_practice_by_hupie-d8kym89.jpg

handpainted_tileable_rock_texture_practice_by_hupie-d8kymol.jpg

rock_face_d01_by_hupie-d8l7lvt.jpg

rock_face_e01_by_hupie-d8l7m0i.jpg

Rock-Face-E01-519356466

rock_face_f_by_hupie-d8lmxuh.jpg

rock_face_g_by_hupie-d8lmxwb.jpg

rock_face_h_by_hupie-d8lp3rj.jpg

Replies

• Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    Tried some rock tile floor texture by using another handpainted texture as a reference. only detailed 2 1/2 tiles so far, but i feel i need to understand the shapes and the cracks better.

ref:
    rock_tile_a_by_hupie-d8lzed3.png
    Rock-Tile-A-520652919?ga_submit_new=10%253A1426544661

ref:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_kOkIRjYlks/UhJ641lAo6I/AAAAAAAABO4/B1unt8dwdaI/s1600/Stone.jpg
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    Continued to work on the brick floor texture. I'm satisfied with the result so far, although I don't quite get the hard and rocky feeling from my reference texture. I think I'm going to start a diorama scene soon to put the textures to use on 3d models.

rock_tile_a_02_by_hupie-d8m3s0h.jpg
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadownet752 polycounter lvl 6
    Great work, and a nice show from blocking to fine details. Keep up the great work.
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    Made a roof tile texture this time. Was nice to cheat a bit with copying over one roof tile across the whole texture and using drop shadow layer style to get some quick basic shadows :)

Reference: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/516084438524654903/

roof_tile_a_wm_by_hupie-d8m7tdl.jpg

roof_tile_a_3d_by_hupie-d8m7u3h.jpg
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    New day, new texture! :D This time a wood planks texture which turned out quite well in my opinion. I didn't use a specific ref other then have a google image search window open with 'handpainted wood texture' as keywords. The tiling is quite small so I feel couldn't vary the color and light between planks too much or else it will look very tiled. C&C welcome as always! :)

wood_planks_a_wm_by_hupie-d8mks7q.jpg
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    Another one :) I find that getting a nice hard rockish effect is a lot harder then making the wood texture.

rock_tile_b_wm_by_hupie-d8mltmq.jpg
  • le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    le0tard polycounter lvl 9
    I like your wooden planks, nice colour variations. Post a pic of how it tiles up!
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    I made a brick wall texture after reading Jonathan Fletcher's article in Vertex 1 about handpainted textures. The article is really nice, but i feel there's quite a quality gap from my texture to his and i'm not sure what the most important differences are. But here it is including a nice GIF of wips this time :

brick_wall_a_wm_by_hupie-d8mqo0g.jpg

brick_wall_a_workflow_by_hupie-d8mqo8u.gif

And here you can see the tiling of both the wood and the brick texture (i know the textures don't fit eachother well atm)

wood_and_brick_tiling_by_hupie-d8mqp8h.jpg
  • purkie103
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I can't really give much critique but keep up the good work dude, I'm looking into learning hand painted textures soon and seeing other peoples progress threads is always nice to see as I'll be starting one myself next month.
  • lophead25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lophead25 polycounter lvl 10
    If you're trying to make the texture seamless, you may want to make the texture as plain as possible, it looks really repeatable because of that dark block on the top right and that saturated one in the middle :)
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah I noticed it aswell. I think i'll leave it for now untill i actually use the textures in a scene. I think it also looks repeatable because i only paint a few bricks/planks to save time and focus more on quality then quantity. When i make textures for actual use, I will probably zoom out and put more bricks/planks on a texture which will give me freedom to put more variation across the texture without looking repeatable. But thanks for the comments! :)
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    Made some new wooden planks and i think these already look a lot better then my previous one. I used this awesome post by Heart_Murmur as a reference:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1609465&postcount=14

wood_planks_b_wm_by_hupie-d8muvqx.jpg
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    More practice with wooden planks.

wood_planks_c_by_hupie-d8nfodu.jpg

And tiling view:

wood_planks_c_tiling_wm_by_hupie-d8nfoqw.jpg

The tiling is still pretty noticeable but again I think it is due to the small scale I draw on. Maybe the darker red parts could be a bit more yellow.
  • Crappuccino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the tiling is pretty noticeable, but I think you did an excellent job on the wood so it's just a matter of adding a couple of planks and it'll be a solid texture.
  • Earthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthyn polycounter lvl 2
    Hey yeah I think you have the answer with the small scale!

Try working with double what you have and maybe you will find it harder to see the tiling!

Keep it up
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    Use Krita to create tiled textures...its a amazing free tool.
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    Crappuccino are right :) the tilling is pretty noticeable but the texturing is really cool :) continue
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the replies :)

I want to make a small diorama scene to practice hand-painted texturing and here I have my start (being inspired by the throne room contest ). The geometry is not final, so if you have any suggestions, please reply! :)

It's also loosely based on this concept: Link

forest_throne_wip01_by_hupie-d8nvw2h.jpg
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    Took me almost half a year but I decided to pick up my diorama scene again. Most of the things are quickly filled in so I know it looks quite rough right now. Next update will follow sooner then this one :)

forest_throne_wip02_by_hupie-d8wnxmt.jpg
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    Some progress on the diorama. I think overall it can use work on what is currently there but I think I also need to add some extra stuff like flowers or mushrooms to add some more color to it. C&C welcome!

forest_throne_wip03_by_hupie-d8xp60q.jpg
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Coins and the chest looks super big, especially the coins compared to the chest. Looking cool by the way, I like the style of this :D
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Much better i agree about the coins and perhaps darken the hill dirt and chest? saturate the chest a bit more if anything it blends with the tree.

Do some scan back action and when it starts blurring together then you add colors to see how much saturation it takes to make it stand out.
    Nice little scene, continue.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking better, however I think you should do another pass on highlights on this model... some hard edged highlights will really bring out the next level of the development of this, since you don't have many hard edged highlights on this it's coming off a little blurry and flat.

Also, I'm more of a person for directional lighting so at this point everything seems quite evenly lit... hopefully your UV's are laid out in a manner that's easy for you to paint in directional lighting?

Other than that this is going well (Y) Keep at it
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for your constructive criticisms! I tried to incorporate it in the model and it's looking better now :) Here are the improvement points I'm currently seeing:

-the transition between the grass and the dirt is a bit weird (like a bulge). Maybe i should add more grass spikes in the texture.
    -placement of the flowers. I think i can get a better composition by placing the flowers better, I just don't know how currently. Also they look a bit small maybe, compared to the big shapes of the other objects
    -leaves of the tree look too sharp and copy pasted. It might need a pass where it will look more handpainted/handcrafted.

What are your thoughts?

forest_throne_wip04_by_hupie-d8yqlfi.jpg