Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unity 5 - Mech scene

Last week I stumbled upon a video of Koola where he shows of some forest environment with in the middle some kind of robot. I immediately recognized the robot as being the work of Simon Stalenhag and I wanted to make something from him for a very long time. So thanks to viv and Koola for the motivation to start creating something!

I picked a military mech and I'm gonna create a scene in Unity 5 with a bit of a forest, some soldiers. In the end it has to look and feel like a cutscene from a game, at least, that's the plan.

Here's the reference:
januari1995_02_1920.jpg

Here's my progress of far (it's from yesterday, some details have been added):
xPhg3dD.jpg

And a wire from the most recent version:
hQXQ3Sy.jpg

This is with Turbosmooth enabled btw. About 145.000 verts/220.000 polys.

I've just started in Photoshop with creating the camouflage but it's a bit of a pain. The colours don't match the colours used by the Swedish Armed Forces and there's no good reference material for the shapes used. But I'm getting there!

Edit (because I don't want to doublepost): Trying to see if my custom camo works alright and I think it does. Also, does anyone have some tips and tricks about creating worn out metal or damaged metal textures? Especially worn out edges seem to be difficult to do right!

4MtFFQG.jpg

Replies

• TomaszCzajka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomaszCzajka polycounter lvl 3
    I love Simon's Stalenhag style!
    Your model looks pretty nice, but I'm curious how would low-poly mesh look like. Are you going to recreate terrain?
  • Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    Very very cool. No tips from me, sorry :)
    Are you going to rig it?
  • SomerenV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love Simon's Stalenhag style!
    Your model looks pretty nice, but I'm curious how would low-poly mesh look like. Are you going to recreate terrain?

Yeah, I'm a big fan of his work! Has a really cool vibe to it. I'll post a low poly wire later today :) Kinda messed up my workflow with the Turbosmooth so I'll probably change that as well. I will recreate the terrain, but not the terrain in that artwork. Recreating convincing snow it quite difficult so I'm going to do something different with that. I will keep the atmosphere and the same vegetation.
    Grubber wrote: »
    Very very cool. No tips from me, sorry :)
    Are you going to rig it?

Thanks! Maybe I'll rig it but I've never done anything like that before so I'll have to see how that works out.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    This looks great SomereV, really looking forward it. I have been trying to work on a sci fi mech from a persepctive concept just as you have and i have been hving a really hard time getting it to look right, it always looks off. Would you mind explaining a bit how you approached it?
  • SomerenV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the unsmoothed wire render:
    l7j4ih0.jpg

Not as clean as can be but I'm happy with it :)
    maxivz wrote: »
    This looks great SomereV, really looking forward it. I have been trying to work on a sci fi mech from a persepctive concept just as you have and i have been hving a really hard time getting it to look right, it always looks off. Would you mind explaining a bit how you approached it?

Recreating something from one reference image that has a certain perspective is quite difficult (at least I think it is). The reason I didn't have a whole lot of problems with this one is the fact that one of the legs is shown from the side and one is shown from the front. You can also see one side of the turret. So you've got the most important stuff to recreate. The rest you fill in with your own imagination based on the artstyle of the rest of the model :)
  • amarillosebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amarillosebas polycounter lvl 3
    Oh crap, this is amazing. Can't wait to see the final result! Will you upload a playable version anywhere?
  • SomerenV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh crap, this is amazing. Can't wait to see the final result! Will you upload a playable version anywhere?

Thanks for the compliment! I am planning on making a somewhat playable version. The idea is to create some kind of a cutscene that would fit in a military game, but I'm still working on the idea. Maybe it'll be 'on rails' but with free look, maybe you can walk around yourself, but I don't know yet.

Yesterday I started unwrapping the legs and today I started texturing them. Right now it's a bit rough but it's more for me to see where all the details need to go and to get the 'feeling' of the texture right. Also the first time I've done this kind of extensive texturing of a hard surface model, so it's trial and error :)

uxcXHhy.jpg
  • SomerenV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no post (been busy) but after some fiddling around in Photoshop I'm almost done with this beast :)

m8wUC4D.jpg

Gonna change the texture on the cannon a bit and add some decals, but other than that it's as good as done :) Now it's on to some environmental probs to fill up the scene a little bit.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter