Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Syncsketch! Great for feedback

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
Found this the other day, thought it was an excellent way to review peoples animations:

SyncSketch Example

NHcqUHs.png

Still in Beta, but rather easy to use, just upload and share! A shout out to TeaTime Animation for showing me this :)

Replies

• Chromogen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome tool, I think this is a great idea.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    This needs to be stickied
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I love this.

Should become a great alternative to the gifs! I know I'm already starting to have problems with the gif heavy threads.
  • dannyannymation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dannyannymation polycounter lvl 6
    This looks great for feedback :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Yup, the gif heavy threads suck... Polycount really needs to get support for .movs. Embedded quicktime, like 11secondclub would be nice.
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's pretty bad, I had to changed my gif into a video because it just couldn't cope with the WAYWO page. People are going to have to hold back on the gifs, until we can figure something out.
    Embedding QT, I agree with you there, and even useful tools like SyncSketch would be ideal to the animation side of polycount.
    We got Verold and SketchFab, maybe we'll see something soon for us ;)
  • SuperSoupy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperSoupy polycounter lvl 5
    Bumping this, because it's an incredible tool for animators getting some decent online crit. A link to SyncSketch should be stickied here.
  • separationad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for sharing this type information and really great discussion. thanks
  • tuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tuna polycounter lvl 7
    This is great! It's amazing to me that people upload their animation for critique using gifs or youtube. Neither can be reviewed.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Agreed, Tuna. People should be using this, or at the very least, .mov movies on dropbox. something SCRUBBABLE.
  • SuperSoupy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperSoupy polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys,

I found another interesting-looking resource for critiquing animation:

http://www.youanimator.com/

This one has a social aspect to it, with a reward system for people who provide the most useful crits. Users can then follow people with high reward scores and learn from crits they give to other people.

The only option I've not seen that it offers, is a 'repeat' button on a video. But maybe I just haven't looked hard enough yet.

Anyways, another interesting resource for us...
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I noticed youanimator also has a paint over feature as well, which could be real helpful.

If only we could embed those in our posts :\
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Personally, i think syncsketch is better. And I think we're just going to have to deal with the fact that our threads wont be as pretty as the modelling threads. We`ll just have to link to other things
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a talked briefly with someone over at SyncSketch, it might take up to 2 months for it to be able for the embedding functionality. Then we'll have to talk to polycount and see what they think.
    So nothing is happening anytime soon :P
  • Phil@SyncSketch
    Hi all,

my name is Phil and I am the developer of SyncSketch. Thanks for reaching out to us. We had already planned to create an embedded version but got held up creating the PRO Interface. So much to do :)

Can you please tell us how exactly you are planning to use SyncSketch in a Forum.
    Should there be multiple layers of feedback? A full screen modus?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated so we'll have a better idea on how to create it.

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Hey Phil, thanks for stoppin by!

Yes! Absolutely multiple feedback layers. That was actually something ive noticed in the testing ive done lately. If you send the link to multiple people, or in this case, post to a forum, anyone who wants to draw over will be drawing on the same layer, so its tough to judge who did what, or have multiple people draw on the same frame. My initial instinct was that in the top right, it had a list of people who have crit the piece. I was expecting to be able to click on their name and have it go to their layer with their draw overs. Might help you decide on how to implement it?

Also, I dont know if it's possible, but exporting someone's crits to a quicktime file would be fabulous. Click the persons name, click export, exports a .mov file that you can save locally so it doesnt delete forever after 7 days of inactivity. The export would have all the draw overs, as well as maybe at the bottom of the video, any frame comments that that person included. that way when you step through the frames in quick time, it had the comments as well.

Not sure how much of that you can add in, but, ideally, that's the stuff i would personally love to see in a crit tool such as syncSketch. It's already pretty amazing. But ya!

And thanks for such a great tool!
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Phil, We appreciate the involvement and will gladly help get this going.
    With Stefan being our new mod we can push for it more :)

Thanks for the interest!
  • infamousbern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again! This is Bernhard, Designer of SyncSketch - Phil and I have been working on an embedded version of syncsketch - which unfortunately does not seem to be supported on polycount (yet?).

You can see it in action here:

http://syncsketch.com/embed

We implemented some of your ideas - and we'd be excited to hear what you think?
  • infamousbern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the embed code:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://syncsketch.com/playground/25da0efb68e24836b3a3344229313ec4?embed=1&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Connecta polycounter lvl 7
    Really like this tool:) Only problem I've met thus far is that the last comment (if more than one page-height) is kinda hard to read/gets cut off.
    Any news on embedding it into Polycount-forum?
  • hardiklakhalani
    It's Oct, 2019 and I guess Stable version is already running. I suggest to add "Notification" feature when someone do whatever with uploads. Eg. Annotate, Comment, etc.. because without this feature we must watch out every single upload for any updates, That's mind bending task.