Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Polycount Post - WIP

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys!

This is my first ever post on the forum! Let me start by saying I'm super jazzed about finally having something to show and I look forward to getting some feedback. :)

I based this off of a concept by one of my favorite artists. Staying pretty close to the concept was one of my goals for the core objects, but for the environment I wanted to do something with more foliage to contrast with all the muted manmade stuff. This is what I came up with in the end minus a few assets. Let me know what you guys think I should do to improve it and make it show ready.

Any suggestions for post cleanup/ presentation in photoshop? What should I do with the background? Rendered in Marmoset 1.10

spooky_ref.JPG

spooky_screenshot0.png

spooky_screenshot1.png

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    The scene lost a bit of it's soul with your decision to go the more foliage route, I prefer the dead tree thing myself. Moving on:
    • Your door doesn't appear to fit the frame it was pulled from and the thickness looks off
    • Cliff/pedestal looks unfinished; not sure what I'm looking at the moment
    • The broken fencing is too light....it's lost compared to the ground (ref is way darker)
    • Grass too lush, should be darker/more deadish in color
    • Dirt should be brown, not appear as sand
    • The chunky style of your props isn't as apparent on your treatment of the tree, the dead tree in the concept matches the mood better, and is about 4x thicker at the base than the one you modeled.
    • Where the candles go?

Good luck, keep going.
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    Agree with pixelpatron. Technically done well, presented well, just needs some evilness.
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pongstah polycounter lvl 12
    Wow your version of the concept looks fun and refreshing. Good work.
  • axxic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bring back the purple! That looked great in the concept and would make the image pop a lot more. Keep it up!
  • RitualSynergY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Once you bring in some good mood lighting on top of whats already been said I think this piece will really shine. Keep on keeping on! :D
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene lost a bit of it's soul with your decision to go the more foliage route, I prefer the dead tree thing myself. Moving on:
    • Your door doesn't appear to fit the frame it was pulled from and the thickness looks off
    • Cliff/pedestal looks unfinished; not sure what I'm looking at the moment
    • The broken fencing is too light....it's lost compared to the ground (ref is way darker)
    • Grass too lush, should be darker/more deadish in color
    • Dirt should be brown, not appear as sand
    • The chunky style of your props isn't as apparent on your treatment of the tree, the dead tree in the concept matches the mood better, and is about 4x thicker at the base than the one you modeled.
    • Where the candles go?

Good luck, keep going.

Thank you guys for the comments and critique! I see what you mean about the foliage throwing off the mood. I tend to prefer lush foliage and tons of greenery myself but in some cases it's not the best option. @pixelpatron what did you mean by "Cliff/pedestal looks unfinished"? I'm not sure what object(s) you're pointing out.

As for the candles I haven't gotten around to making those quite yet. Again thanks for the feedback guys! I'll do another pass and post an update soon. Stay tuned :)
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    It's interesting what you've done to fill in the rest of the concept, personally I reckon having stone tiles or some cracked ground to match the graveyard crypt type setting would actually be quite cliched and predictable
    I find the juxtaposition of the bright foliage with the sombre props actually works in a weird way, like it makes the setting more inviting as though it used to be gloomy but has been reclaimed by nature
    You could push that 'dark turned light' theme by having the candles from the concept but burned out, and some bright sunlight, but of course it's up to you with where you want to go with it

edit: then again you might want to show you can accurately reproduce the concept in 3D. up to you haha
  • Poseidon8734
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poseidon8734 polycounter lvl 6
    Much better than my first post! Sweet job though!
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Nice work there. IT looks like something that belongs on a beach in new england, because of how green the grass is and how white the sand is. Not sure if you're going for that look, but it doesnt look haunted.
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmmm. i'll post a modified version with more of a "spooky" feel and have you guys help me decide. i suppose i could always have two versions at the end
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. Got some candles setup with emissive material applied.

candle_update.png
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all your feedback guys! I made some more changes based on your suggestions and I think bringing back the spooky elements really helped the overall look in the end. I'm gonna call this one done. Thanks again!

spooky_final01.png
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Cool stuff! The red bloom(?) is a bit weird. Also the shape of the island is a bit boring. Would like nicer if it was a bit more cliff-like imo.