Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Laocoon and His Sons

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JabacOrdof polycounter lvl 3
This is my first attempt at modeling a figure in Zbrush! I am really excited about this project. This is focusing a lot on getting the anatomy correct and really defining every muscle and its form. For this project I have chosen to use the statue "Laocoon and His Sons" as reference, namely Laocoon himself, a large, muscular figure who sits dynamically on a pedestal. I would really love as much advice and critique as you can give, I am relatively new to Zbrush and expect I will benefit from additional eyes. Thanks a lot as always everyone!

- Eric Kilkenny

[IMG][/img]0XuV7Yt.jpg
[IMG][/img]NX69U7a.jpg
[IMG][/img]vt3jy72.jpg
[IMG][/img]1pIWI4H.jpg
[IMG][/img]z0OVMSQ.jpg
[IMG][/img]IfjsWTl.jpg
[IMG][/img]JkkIO1B.jpg
[IMG][/img]m8ZrKLf.jpg
[IMG][/img]eQYpphA.jpg

Replies

• JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking for any mistakes in the cutting out of muscle groups before I increase the resolution a bit and start carving in more detailed muscles. Thanks all!

[IMG][/img]hUsDHNY.jpg
  • KingKellogg
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    He looks a bit thinner in the statue.
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Thinner across the hips or in the stomach? Thanks for pointing it out either way!
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    now thats a project!
    one thing that i try is i insert 2 boxes for his ribcage and for his hips, that give me a guideline for their volume. with posed figures it is easy to loose sight of your volumes.

also his but is a bit small
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a good idea Goeddy, I'll keep an eye on my volumes in those areas. And his butt is a bit squished, but I mean for him to be sitting on a block but that have yet to put it in. Even so I may have to put in some more padding, so I'll be sure to check that.
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I haven't posted an update in a while, I have been struggling a lot with getting the forms correct. I need the muscle groups to look correct and read well before I move on to the polish at a higher resolution. Crits and comments welcome! Thanks all.

-Eric Kilkenny

[IMG][/img]MRbkbHf.jpg
  • JabacOrdof
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all! I am not quite ready to call this "done" but it is unfortunately time for me to move on to my next project. It was tough trying to get the hand of sculpting organically in Zbrush, but I definitely learned a ton about sculpting and about the human form as well. The next project I am starting is less of an anatomical study and more of an actual character creation workflow, so feel free to look at that to see my continued progress on learning the intricacies of zbrush. Let me know what you all think so that if I decide to come back to this (most likely just redoing it) I can come back with a better understanding. Thank you as always!

-Eric Kilkenny

[IMG][/img]6WgsvKL.jpg