Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thunder Cloud Studio, Defenders of the Klaus game environment, Pirate village

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
ThunderClouds polycounter lvl 9
Hello everyone,
This is the game environment level we create for the game: Defenders of the Klaus.
Client: Atomic Chimp
We are responsible of creating the whole level based on initial concept given by client Atomic Chimp. The pirate village was built from individual modular assets. This is one of several environments we created for the game. More will come in the future

[vv]118670030[/vv]

Client given concept:
01_Concept_from_client.jpg

Turn table pirate house:
[vv]118670031[/vv]

We use Maya to model, texture and populate the scene with various types of model.
02_Maya_populateScene.jpg

We use Unreal Engine 4 for real time demo, lighting and camera setup and animation.
04_village_render.jpg

Using UE4, we can cut a lot of time in rendering and post processing to achieve the look and feel we want

Break down
Here is the components that make up the scenes
08_Modular.jpg

Village rendering
03_village_render.jpg

Some of our snap shots
06_village_render.jpg
07_village_render.jpg
05_village_render.jpg

Replies

• KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    You built it like lego's??
  • ThunderClouds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep! and it's a very fun process :D:D:D
  • KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    That sounds like fun! and is very clever!
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    A really nice modular work :)
  • ThunderClouds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi thanks guys :)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Your assets look gorgeous! But texture wise they all look like they are built to be hero assets - when you put everything together nothing blends into the background and it makes the scene look quite a bit noisier that it could be. High contrast in the roof tiles and rocks leaves nowhere for your eye to rest.

For example we can look at the screenshot you posted and find the natural focus of each image. If you are too familiar with the shots, flip them horizontally in photoshop and play along with me.

The first two shots have a simple focal point and the background buildings fog out nicely. because we are looking straight down the street, your eyes get pulled down to the vanishing point in the centre -it looks ok!

In the third shot, things get ugly. The chimney dominates the scene. Its high contrast grey and white among a sea of high contrast orange and white. Everything is super saturated, super contrasted. Among all this, the lines of the roofs lead your eye in random competing directions and the image has no rhythm.

The last shot is a good example of where the composition can go wrong. The brightest point is wooden stick. The wooden stick sits at he center of nearly all the compositional lines! I'm going to go out on a limb and say the focus of that image was not the texture at the top of the wooden stick. :)
    QNfHKto.png

I hope you don't take this as all to negative. The assets are lovely and the shapes are really interesting. It just looks a bit like the assets where developed in isolation without getting feedback from the environment as a whole.
  • ThunderClouds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @fearian: haha , thank you so much for the honest feedbacks ! I agreed, we should have plan the camera path and compositing a bit more careful in the demo :) . Definitely will take note and improve my next one.
  • phanthanhtruc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phanthanhtruc polycounter lvl 8
    Nice handpainted texture!! The overall look maybe off a little bit but I really love the mood of this scene. :)
  • gomcdowell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. This looks really similar to a piece I made last year.

www.glenn-mcdowell.com

g7pzjHF.jpg

w2fE2yi.jpg
  • zberry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zberry polycounter lvl 9
    That is pretty blatant Glenn, I feel like you should be compensated somehow by Atomic Chimp. I don't have any experience chasing stuff like this down, but I'm sure others on polycount have experience with this sort of thing. Is there any way for the original artist to get paid when their work is used in a commercial project without permission?
  • rayle1112
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6
    zberry wrote: »
    That is pretty blatant Glenn, I feel like you should be compensated somehow by Atomic Chimp. I don't have any experience chasing stuff like this down, but I'm sure others on polycount have experience with this sort of thing. Is there any way for the original artist to get paid when their work is used in a commercial project without permission?

I don't think he can sue them just because of the similar art style.
  • Sanislov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanislov polycounter lvl 9
    As i see, for the concept they overpainted gomcdowell work.
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    yer you can see its been used the end of all the beams are identical either thats one hell of a coincidence or it was used even the tiles are the same XD
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    There is absolutely no denying that it's the same piece. Contact Atomic Chimp Glenn!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Before you guys get your pitchforks, consider a few things.

ThunderClouds, from what I can tell, is not responsible for 'art theft' in this instance. Do not direct such claims at him if you were planning to. It sounds as though the team he is with was given this concept from Atomic Chimp to work from. This concept art looks like it was a paint over/photo-chop of gomcdowell's artwork.

ThunderClouds, you and your team did a great job interpreting the concept art given. Really top notch work. Unfortunately, though, it looks as though your client didn't spend the time in creating truly original artwork and Glenn here is now seeing the fruits of his labour benefit someone else.

This situation needs to be dealt with privately. We'll keep the post up for now, but this particular situation is not to be discussed in this thread as it is between Atomic Chimp, Glenn, and ThunderClouds. Consider this a friendly warning to keep your cool and let the involved folks deal with it.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    rayle1112 wrote: »
    I don't think he can sue them just because of the similar art style.
    It's not similar artstyle, the concept is a flagrant paint-over, the texture and color are EXACTLY the same
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    oh uh, dis gon be gud
  • ThunderClouds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi !
    Thanks guy for your replies ! :)
    @gomcdowell: great works, but first I am sorry that if you didnt really know about this project or involved in this project. I thought you was the guy who did the concepts for the game. Of course we dont really want to do any "art thief" if we knew this is not your art that original created for the game.
    We should have asked the client if this is original/ licensed art or not, otherwise we would have to do an overall redesign of the concept that take your original art as inspiration.
    I think you might want to contact AtomicChimp to sort it out ?
    On our side we could always put your credit on our post as the artist for the original concepts if you like.
    Regarding the commercial stuffs, as far as we know from clients, this project seem like an Indie - pitching only so hope it would not be too much trouble.
  • ThunderClouds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi !
    I Just talked to Gomcdowell and we sorted it out :)!
    My lesson tho , I should have handled files from client more careful next time.
    btw, thanks guy for pointing this out.