Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Dwarf Animation Set - WIP Thread

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
dannyannymation polycounter lvl 6
So, i started the dwarf thread again with a more accurate name. you can find my previous posts here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147819

@charlestinney Thanks for your excellent feedback, some good points and I think I've made progress on the issues you found with the cycle. I've gone for a more upright pose now and moved the hammer so that the head of it sits better on my Dwarf's lower back.

From a direction perspective i feel like the slouching was off, I want this character to be very Dwarven and therefore sturdy, strong, broad and grounded. I want the hammer to have some weight but for my character to have some ease whilst carrying it due to his dwarf strength and years with his trusty warhammer! I'm trying to avoid the walk being too heavy and sluggish however.

Anyway here is my progress:

yjrWKG2.gif
Run cycle coming soon

Replies

• dannyannymation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my first pass at a run cycle, feedback welcome!

ooFzf2d.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ooo that run is nice and crunchy. It has soom good force behind it. I feel like you could get some more beard movement in there. Maybe even double/triple the cycle and get a long beard loop going.

Looking forward to see more!
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Man this is really awesome! Love the style! I agree with the comment about the beard, and maybe even exaggerate the movement in the hair as well (in the run cycle anyway.)
  • dannyannymation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MIuI9kFb8o[/ame]

I'm currently creating a lot of cycles and in-game anims at work so I've decided to put my dwarf runs and walks aside for a little while. Loving the feedback you guys are giving me and I agree with the points about the beard so that is noted for a later date!

So, i thought I'd try my hand at a boss intro cinematic.

Just basic poses and blocking, been more focused on camera work so far. Going to make a start on getting some breakdowns and inbetweens on the characters and strengthening their poses next.

As always, feedback welcome!
  • charlestinney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charlestinney polycounter lvl 6
    looks great, and i can't wait to see more.

a couple of suggestions:

the dwarf's actions at the beginning don't necessarily help focus the audiences' eyes to the boss; which would help support the camera move. and neither do some of the lines in the environment. try to block out something where his actions help lead the audiences' eye movement for exactly where to look, and that can act as an anticipation for the camera move.

dwarfopeningcine.PNG

since this is (i presume) a side project, i would highly suggest you add in some sort of fight or interaction between the boss and the dwarf as part of the cinematic before gameplay begins. maybe the boss gets a one up on the dwarf, hitting him and knocking him over. the audience (the player) wants to get even as the dwarf gets up and rallies, being ready to fight; cut to gameplay.
  • dannyannymation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man that's some really helpful advice once again :)

I will have a longer look this weekend but maybe the ogre could land much closer to the dwarf, take a swing at him knocking him backwards before jumping and perching himself onto the rock he currently lands on.

Good shout with the environment too. Would be great to have the lines focus in on the ledge he starts on and draw the viewer in!
  • dannyannymation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VegnRTNrSVU[/ame]

Coming along now, still got a lot of work to do but I feel like the main idea is getting there.
  • Chromogen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really awesome, cant wait to see more.
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    This is dope. I'm really curious on the step from block to first linear :)
  • AntoninTripes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking pretty cool
  • dannyannymation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys.

SOOOO I disappeared for a few ... oh shit... a few months! Things got pretty crazy at work and we ended up crunching on a project which didn't leave much time to come home and work on this shot. However I've managed to clock a fair few hours over the last few weeks and thought people might be interested in an update? I probably should have posted more over that time, but hey ho, that's something I need to work on in the future.

Here is how it's looking: Currently working on a new reel and this is probably going to slot in right at the front of it. Really happy with the outcome. Feedback appreciated as usual.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyxtU9n5zrs[/ame]