Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Neglected Gas Station Environment [UE4]

NinjaMerdman
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
NinjaMerdman polycounter lvl 5
Hey polycount! I've been lurking on here for a couple years now, and I'm finally throwing myself to the gauntlet and making my first post.

For this project, I was trying to find an environment that would have me creating a variety of assets, from hard surface structures to organic foliage. I found this terrific concept from UnidColor on Deviant Art and thought that it would be perfect:
http://unidcolor.deviantart.com/art/Old-gas-station-415139577?utm_source=social&utm_medium=all&utm_campaign=112413_soc_gasstation

I decided to alter the concept a bit, and essentially replace the vending machine with an old truck, since that would be a better learning experience for me. One of my largest focuses will be on texturing, as I consider that my one of my weakest areas.

I'm currently finishing up the textures on the truck and starting to work on the gas station itself. As always, crits are appreciated!

Initial block out and lighting pass:
QyrJRDz.png

Detail of the truck:
SkGvuju.png

Replies

• Lokii288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokii288 polycounter lvl 3
    Looks good! The rust is looking really cool. The front windshield isn't done is it?
  • NinjaMerdman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokii288 wrote: »
    Looks good! The rust is looking really cool. The front windshield isn't done is it?

No, I've just been focusing on the body and paint so far, and I've made a pass on the chrome elements.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
    That is a great concept! Definitely got to add in that "We Got That Swag" sign. Truck is looking good for where its at at this point.

The only critique I have at this point is that the chrome seems a little off to me. I think it's those high specular spots on the front bumper that are really catching my eye. Other than that I cant wait to see how this comes out.
  • NinjaMerdman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a great concept! Definitely got to add in that "We Got That Swag" sign. Truck is looking good for where its at at this point.

The only critique I have at this point is that the chrome seems a little off to me. I think it's those high specular spots on the front bumper that are really catching my eye. Other than that I cant wait to see how this comes out.

Good call on the chrome, I'm definitely going to have to tone that down a bit. I think maybe it's just generally too shiny for it's own good.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Looking like a decent start!

I'm really not sold on the rust/wear on the truck though. Check this out:
    http://i.imgur.com/M8FeTXc.jpg

Rust in general normally has quite a hard defined outline, rather than the sort of smooth transition you currently have.

In general it looks a bit too glossy too, that's a pretty easy fix though! You should also totally have some colour variation on some of the panels, like they have worn unevenly, or been replaced with a part from another truck at some point.
  • NinjaMerdman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo wrote: »
    Looking like a decent start!

I'm really not sold on the rust/wear on the truck though. Check this out:
    http://i.imgur.com/M8FeTXc.jpg

Rust in general normally has quite a hard defined outline, rather than the sort of smooth transition you currently have.

In general it looks a bit too glossy too, that's a pretty easy fix though! You should also totally have some colour variation on some of the panels, like they have worn unevenly, or been replaced with a part from another truck at some point.

OH! Excellent reference photo, mystic! :)
    I really like how it has the rust stains leaking down over the surface. I can see what you mean about it being too glossy. I was trying to make sure it still read as paint, but I might have gone a bit too far with it. Thanks for your comments!
  • NinjaMerdman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update on the truck. I tried to work in the critiques: toned down the gloss on the paint, dulled the chrome, worked a little on the windshield, and worked a bit more on the rust. Let me know if you guys think this is heading in the right direction; I would be very grateful!

pPPQN8d.png
  • theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
    Looking much better with that rust and the chrome. It's a bit dark around the top bumper/headlight area. I'm not sure if that's the lighting. Do you have an occlusion on your AO? I would turn that down or level it out a bit if that's the case, just to get those blacks a little less black.
  • NinjaMerdman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much better with that rust and the chrome. It's a bit dark around the top bumper/headlight area. I'm not sure if that's the lighting. Do you have an occlusion on your AO? I would turn that down or level it out a bit if that's the case, just to get those blacks a little less black.

I'm much happier with how the metal turned out, good call on that! :)
    As for the darkness, I'm thinking that's caused by the light being at pretty much a perpendicular angle to the truck (facing straight towards the side). As for the AO, it was baked without any occluding objects, so I'm pretty sure it's go to be my lighting. I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with.
  • Lokii288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokii288 polycounter lvl 3
    This is already looking better ^_^ the only thing that bothers me though is that some of the dimpling in the front (like on the hood near the front left headlight and on the bumper same side) feel a little overly large. It just feels a little inaccurate for the scale of the object
  • NinjaMerdman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokii288: Thanks for the kind words. I'll take another pass on the grime/mud/dirt and see if I can't come up with something a little more suited to the truck